Breakfast in the MDR

mpdahmer

We were on the Explorer of the Seas many years ago and started going to the MDR for breakfast. The buffet was either too crowded or too much of a hassle with a large group. Our group will be sailing on the Adventure of the Seas in June and we all plan to go to the MDR for breakfast. Is this still an option and does anyone have menus posted?

TIA,

Mark

MDR is available for breakfast every morning  usually in one of the main dining rooms. Check one of the "live blogs" for a possible photo of a menu. Many hot/cold selections are available with coffee/tea/juice. Also there is now a smaller buffet area in MDR to serve yourself if you would like. A suggestion, your post doesn't mention if you are with a large group or not, once we had a group of twelve and we always met together for breakfast. We talked to one of the head waiters the second day and they actually reserved a table for us each morning with a certain reserved time.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Welcome to the message boards!

A typical breakfast menu for the MDR is here:

9gAlbIX.jpg

This is from sister ship Navigator a couple weeks ago. 

I‘m also new to RCCL but this menu is really underwhelming compared to NCL which have daily special features and even Carnival which looks a lot funkier and which also has seaday brunch specials...

@Muerz  I agree with you. 

My husband and I only did it 1x, just for the heck of it.  We would never do it again.  Unfortunately for @mpdahmer is that even if their group has connecting balconies, the dividers do not come down like they do on a ship like Anthem.  For example, when we did Anthem, we had 5 connecting balconies, and the dividers were removed.  We all got free continental breakfast delivered to our rooms, but we would go up to WJ to get the omelets, and hash browns.  Due to that fact it was a perfect mix.

My husband and I book balconies,  we even did this with just an ocean view.  We never were unable to find a table at WJ.  It is just for us, this works as the perfect mix.  We can order continental breakfast the night before with a delivery time.  We get up, walk the track or go to the gym.  We hit the WJ for a more specialized omelet, while it is being made we pick up some hash browns, grilled tomatoes, whatever hot items that strike our fancy.  Plate in hand we walk back to our room, within a few mins, the continental breakfast (coffee, juice, Danish, etc) is at our door.  We eat this on our balcony while we go through the compass, pack our excursion tote, take a shower (come back and have another sip of coffee), put on sunscreen (come back and have a bite of a Danish), double check we have everything in the tote and plan for the day as we sit on the balcony enjoying the sea or watching us dock as we sip the last bit of coffee/juice.  For us, this is the absolute best.  We don't feel like OMG we have to get back to the room to get ready bc of our plans for the day.  We are relaxed and usually end up spending more time on the balcony bc we do what I stated, eat and get ready at the same time.

Just want to give you an idea if you feel WJ is too crowded.

21 hours ago, DRLPP said:

MDR is available for breakfast every morning  usually in one of the main dining rooms. Check one of the "live blogs" for a possible photo of a menu. Many hot/cold selections are available with coffee/tea/juice. Also there is now a smaller buffet area in MDR to serve yourself if you would like. A suggestion, your post doesn't mention if you are with a large group or not, once we had a group of twelve and we always met together for breakfast. We talked to one of the head waiters the second day and they actually reserved a table for us each morning with a certain reserved time.

Thanks for the reply. Yes we are a group of 8 and have all sailed on cruises several times. This is the first on RC for most of our group.

Twangster: Thanks for posting the menu. We actually started going to the MDR for breakfast on the Explorer in 2013. We sailed out of Bayonne, NJ in March. For the first couple of days it was cool outside so we were in no rush to get anywhere. When we went to the buffet it always seemed as though they were closing a buffet line as soon as we got in it. Then we had to find a seat then go back and get a drink/coffee, make another trip back up for something I missed...so we decided to try the MDR. We went and were greeted and brought to a table with a view and then were treated to the most peaceful breakfast we have had on a cruise. On this cruise it was only my wife and I but we enjoyed it so much that we made it a standard on our next cruise with a larger group. Everyone agreed that it was much nicer and more like vacation to have someone serve us instead of having to run around, protect a table or join additional tables.

5 minutes ago, mpdahmer said:

Twangster: Thanks for posting the menu. We actually started going to the MDR for breakfast on the Explorer in 2013. We sailed out of Bayonne, NJ in March. For the first couple of days it was cool outside so we were in no rush to get anywhere. When we went to the buffet it always seemed as though they were closing a buffet line as soon as we got in it. Then we had to find a seat then go back and get a drink/coffee, make another trip back up for something I missed...so we decided to try the MDR. We went and were greeted and brought to a table with a view and then were treated to the most peaceful breakfast we have had on a cruise. On this cruise it was only my wife and I but we enjoyed it so much that we made it a standard on our next cruise with a larger group. Everyone agreed that it was much nicer and more like vacation to have someone serve us instead of having to run around, protect a table or join additional tables.

Plus it's included in your cruise fare so why not?

Notably absent on this menu were Eggs Benedict.  Other ships have had those on the breakfast menu.  Not sure it that is just Navigator or becoming fleet standard.  

23 hours ago, twangster said:

Notably absent on this menu were Eggs Benedict.  Other ships have had those on the breakfast menu.  Not sure it that is just Navigator or becoming fleet standard.  

Just curious if you ask for something special like that if they can make it happen perhaps the next day.  I know I've seen that suggested at dinner.  Also - is there a lunch menu for the MDR?

On 3/17/2019 at 1:27 PM, twangster said:

I agree.  When I'm on vacation, I do NOT want to eat at a buffet...i prefer to sit in the MDR for cruise breakfasts, because we are waited on...

Also, Eggs Benedict were offered like 2 or 3 times during our 6 night cruise in December...but NOT every single morning...each morning the menu had a difference.