Dolphin Encounter..Atlantis or Blue Lagoon

Lana Lee

We did the shallow interaction at Atlantis last summer and had a great time- everyone got to feed "our" dolphin 2 or 3 times, pet it, give it a high five, etc. That part was great, and we'd do it again. 

The only issue was that it started a good half hour after it was supposed to, after everyone had already changed into the wetsuits, so it was hot and the tourists were getting grouchy. All in all, not a huge deal.  Also, the waterpark was a huge bust- not enough slides, leading to long lines.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon several years ago and also at Atlantis last year. Both times through Royal Caribbean. We definitely got more interaction at Atlantis but it cost more so you get what you pay for.  I do have to say though after the dolphin encounter you could stay on the beach to swim or relax. I’ve been on 5 cruises and the Blue Lagoon beach is by far my favorite beach. There were very few people there. The water was crystal clear, warm and calm. We had to take a shuttle bus to Atlantis and we took a catamaran to Blue Lagoon. 

• 8 months later...
11 hours ago, Mrsdq said:

Which is better with young kids (4 and 6), transportation-wise: the catamaran shuttle to BL or the bus shuttle to Atlantis?

The boat is nice if it's warm, but does take about 25 minutes. Only you know how much patience your kids have.  I"d take a boat over a bus any day, personally.  I'm not sure how often the shuttles back run from Atlanta (there's always the option of a cab, if for some reason you need to jam out of there), but know that you're limited to about 2 chances to get back on Blue Lagoon in the afternoon. It wasn't a big deal for me, just something to be aware of.

We just did the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter excursion last Wednesday.  We took a boat from the Mariner of the Seas to Blue Lagoon.  It took about 20-25 minutes.  But it was a gorgeous day, and you go by Atlantis so you can see it from the distance.  The captain gave out some information (tour guide type stuff).  However, we couldn't hear him due to all the noise.  

The dolphin encounter experience was more than I expected.  You sit with your group on one of four sides.  Our side went first.  Each person got to hug the dolphin, kiss the dolphin, feel the top of the dolphin, feel the underbelly of the dolphin and so forth.  Once your group is done, you then leave that area and can go hang at the beach.  The water was so clear.  

We were late getting off the boat because of Immigration or something to that effect.  We caught the first shuttle back from the Blue Lagoon (1:30 p.m. I think).  We would have stayed on the beach longer if my daughter didn't want to get back to catch up with some friends she had met on the boat.  When I got back, I had time to go shopping at some of the stores in Nassau.  

Atlantis looks gigantic.  

I bought this excursion before our cruise, when it was on sale.  I think it was worth it.