Dress code for men

ThyriC

Ok so in my eternal woman-ness... I will likely overpack as I do for every trip I take (even my business trips my suitcase has more makeup in it than clothes, its a problem.. I cant live without my skincare regimen and my makeup mask to go outside) however, the hub is very ummm... one dimensional in his fashion choices.  He's a very jeans and tshirt guy.  The jeans arent grubby or torn or anything like that.  I told him that he can bring his tshirts but limit the logo tees (ones with fun sayings about sarcasm because he's a sarcastic guy).  He does have plain tees which makes me a little happier, but he's not the polo or button down shirt for daily wear type.  He doesnt wear shorts (except to swim or just hang out after work in) or flip flops.  He doesnt wear tank top muscle tees or anything like that (he's a youthful 50+ blue collar kinda guy who really just lives in the jeans and tshirt)

Bottom line... do I need to rewardrobe him for dinner dining?  If I can get him into a button down shirt with his jeans would that be OK for "smart casual"?  Or would a non logo tee be acceptable?  He is bringing a suit for formal night (jacket, tie, shoes, the whole nine yards, when he saw the gown I bought for formal night for myself, he didnt want to look silly in pictures next to me, bless his heart for that!) and I'm thinking an interview appropriate outfit of button down and khakis for dinner at Chops.  But do I need to dress him up any more for other dining?  I do want to experience all of the specialty dining options onboard (might do a lunch as well to get them all in) but I do want to have him comfortable with room service or the Windjammer as well so not to have him always all dressed up whenever dinner rolls around.  I'm hoping to not have him dread going to dinner because of fashion choices but I still want to (and want him to) experience all of the different dining options.  

My rule of thumb for dining was a nice pair of dark jeans or chinos and a buttoned collared shirt. I kept the shirt loose (1/2 size bigger than I would normally wear) so I was comfortable (and so I could indulge). I wouldn't do t-shirts for the main dining room or Chops but for Windjammer you'd be fine on that.

I will admit I do like to dress up (not like that :P) so when formal night rolls around I am all over it. Suited and Booted

I'm not an over-dresser by any stretch but I also don't like to feel under-dressed.....(think everybody is noticing and talking about me) so I bought a new suit for the cruise and will wear it on formal night in the MDR and my wife's birthday dinner at Chops. My wife is talking dress for these occasions. On other nights at MDR I'm going to wear a sport coat with jeans and nice shirt (wife is talking pant suit). Shorts and tee-shirts the rest of the time.

My first question is where is the cruise going? Some cruises are more casual than others. The Caribbean and Mexico are more casual than European. My husband and I have been cruising for 20+ years and times, customs and we have changed. We both used to dress to the nines and followed the dining suggestions to the T. But now we go more casual but dressed like we are going to a special party or event.

I have certainly seen many men in the dining room in jeans and t-shirts. My husband usually wears dark jeans or khakis and collared polo shirts on casual nights and slacks and button up shirt on smart casual nights. We have stopped taking formal clothes because of the hassle of packing them.  I take a dressy black pants outfit and he takes black dress pants and a black button up shirt. 

I understand the want or need to be dressed appropriately, but actually, this is your vacation. You should dress so you feel comfortable. 

A couple of years ago, we took our 17 year old grandson to Alaska. We wanted to take advantage of the photographers on formal night but didn't want to dress formally (especially the teenager.) We all wore jeans and flannel shirts since we were in Alaska and got a great photo memory! 

Jeans and a button down shirt or polo is fine for any Smart Casual night in the MDR, and on Caribbean sailings it's probably going to pass muster on "Dress Your Best" (formerly Formal) night. I like to dress up on formal night and wear my suit, as I basically never get to wear it otherwise; but on my last trip (5-nighter to Bermuda) the idea of packing my suit in my one carry-on size suitcase was ludicrous, especially when there was only one formal night. Majority of the men I saw were like me that night, just chinos or dress jeans and a button down shirt, a handful wearing a tie and sport jacket / blazer.

I would check out Old Navy - you could get him a few pairs of colored jeans and cotton button downs and he would still be comfy but look a little better than regular jeans.  Also, Old Navy doesn't break the bank and they are pretty comfortable. 

My son (19) wears a lot of their tan colored jeans and his go to "dressy" outfit is a pair of those with a white button down & he looks pretty sharp.