Newbie needs help

MicDay

First Post!

I like the tone on this blog, friendly and helpful, thank you.

We are going on the HOS in May 2019 sailing, our first time on RCC.  We have been on Disney, Holland and Norwegian, hands down Disney was the best.

So now we are trying RCC.  It is Me (Michelle), my husband, our daughter(20) and her boyfriend (20 1st time on a cruise).

The keys just popped up available again but the cost for all 4 of us would be $700, seems too pricey?  What do you think, is it worth the $$?

We are in a large balcony Oceanview cabin, my husband is worried we will be too cramped.  We prefer a balcony cabin but it was always the three of us.

The only upgrade at this time is a suite that is $ 8000 more, can't justify that.  Rather take another 2 cruise for that kind of money.

thoughts?

11 minutes ago, MicDay said:

First Post!

I like the tone on this blog, friendly and helpful, thank you.

We are going on the HOS in May 2019 sailing, our first time on RCC.  We have been on Disney, Holland and Norwegian, hands down Disney was the best.

So now we are trying RCC.  It is Me (Michelle), my husband, our daughter(20) and her boyfriend (20 1st time on a cruise).

The keys just popped up available again but the cost for all 4 of us would be $700, seems too pricey?  What do you think, is it worth the $$?

We are in a large balcony Oceanview cabin, my husband is worried we will be too cramped.  We prefer a balcony cabin but it was always the three of us.

The only upgrade at this time is a suite that is $ 8000 more, can't justify that.  Rather take another 2 cruise for that kind of money.

thoughts?

Honestly I can't imagine 4 adults in a tiny balcony cabin.. Have you looked at getting a second room? perhaps an inside cabin for 2 of the people? Honestly 4 adults in one cabin really isn't fun. I would say save the $700 and put it towards a second cabin. Also I meant this not to be judgmental. I just think a second cabin and second bathroom would be soo much better.. The couch that turns into a bed is so not comfortable for two grown adults to sleep on. 

4 adults in a room for 7 days ? Very tight quarters, likely to be very stressful, would not recommend unless you are looking for a way to get rid of your daughter's boyfriend?. I would agree to look at an inside near your balcony room  and share amenities. Talk to RCC or your travel agent and see what options there may be for you and the cost associated with the changes. As for the Key, IMO I don't feel it is worth the cost, use the $ for another room or excursions.

Add me as another vote for a second stateroom. I just have two older teenage daughters to worry about on a family cruise, and the idea of all four of us in a balcony cabin gives me the heebie jeebies!!

By the way, check a site like cruisedeckplans.com to see what the living space vs. balcony space is on those large balcony oceanview cabins vs regular balcony oceanview. I know on at least some of the ships, the "large balcony" is larger than regular balcony rooms, but only because the interior cabin space is actually smaller by 10-20 square feet!

My daughter and her friend had a balcony on our December cruise and I could not imagine putting two extra people in there.  Just because the cruise line says you can does not mean you will be comfortable.  IMHO a junior suite would be pushing it for 4 adults.  I would book an interior for the young adults and skip the key which would be money much better spent.

Not having any luck getting two rooms, keeping my current cabin with an additional.  

I can get two Boardwalk Balcony rooms for an additional  $2600.  It hurts to lose my ocean view balcony cabin.

The problem is my husband, he won't allow our daughter and her boyfriend to share a cabin.  He rooms with the boyfriend and I room with our daughter.

I think we are stuck unless I give up the ocean view cabin.

I'm worried I screwed up.

Maybe Mom and daughter in Ocean View balcony stateroom, Dad and boyfriend in the second. Bonding opportunity? Dad and/or boyfriend could drop by and use  balcony occasionally. 

Are you dealing directly with RC or using a travel agent? A travel agent knows things you don't on how to find vacancies. Good luck

For me, having an inside stateroom for the kids might make this a little more comfortable and roomy.  4 people in a single oceanview cabin to me seems really tight.  Is it doable?  Certainly.  If you have the means or the option to add another cabin for the kids, it would probably be a lot more comfortable.

It also depends on what your family's lifestyle is like.  Do you see yourself by the pool and doing activities outside of the cabin and using the cabin only for sleeping and showering?  Or are you all a little more homebody and prefer to be in the cabin for a little more relax time and occasionally heading out to the activities or shows? Because with 7 days in an oceanview... I think those quarters might feel awfully tight around you, and sometimes you just need your space from each other.  

I'd give up the ocean view cabin for the 2 boardwalk cabins.  Here's why.   

1.  How often are 4 of you going to be looking out the ocean view window?  Think realistically.  This isnt a balcony so there's no fresh air coming with that window.  

2.  Those boardwalk cabins have balconies.  This is more space to separate from each other.  While one person is in the cabin sleeping, the other can go out on the balcony and people watch and get fresh air.  

3.  Boardwalk balconies also have the added benefit of being able to people watch.  Entertainment on tap watching people.  

4.  Did I mention the extra space?  

You do really seem to want that view of the ocean.  That's admirable, it really is.  However, I'd really assess how much you want to watch the ocean from your cabin vs out on deck.  Not having that oceanview means extra space and separation from each other, which really, you need to do. Not to mention, are all of you going to be looking out the window at the ocean at the same time?  I'd think that if you want to ocean watch together, going up on deck is far more spacious and far more ocean watching!

If you're within I think its 60 days of booking, you can transfer your reservation to a travel agent.  They really can help you with reservation changes, and what will be comfortable for your travel group.  Even if the men sleep together and the ladies share their own cabin, I really think all 4 of you will be far happier in 2 cabins than the single cabin

I agree with everyone that single room for 4 adults will be very hard but in case it will be the only option there are few things that might help you:

1. Try to plan as much activities outside of the room , try to plan some activities that will be separately .
2. Bathroom time might be problematic, everyone can use the public restroom from time to time , they are kept clean and help to reduce the queue in the room ?
3. On the Harmony you can buy thermal  SPA access (I think it is 100$ per person) which will gain you access to the thermal chairs, rain showers, spa lockers and showers, sauna- you will gain access to more shower options and another place to rest and relax (the warm chairs are very good place to rest).
4. Try to plan extra time to organize in the morning , if you have a shore excursion , try that it will not be too early or just start to organize earlier , take turns for breakfast , two will go to eat , two will organize and then do the opposite.
5.Kill fights at the minute they start , hopefully you will not need it but if something like that  start to happen , better to leave the room , enjoy the open air or other activity.
6. Set the ground rules and expectation before the cruise , explain the logic , get everyone to understand and suggest how to make sure you all enjoy the cruise.

And the most important , have a great  wonderful cruise 

5 hours ago, MicDay said:

Not having any luck getting two rooms, keeping my current cabin with an additional.  

I can get two Boardwalk Balcony rooms for an additional  $2600.  It hurts to lose my ocean view balcony cabin.

The problem is my husband, he won't allow our daughter and her boyfriend to share a cabin.  He rooms with the boyfriend and I room with our daughter.

I think we are stuck unless I give up the ocean view cabin.

I'm worried I screwed up.

I know having the Oceanview is great but I would totally move to the two boardwalk view cabins especially since you can go on deck and look at the ocean at anytime. The couch that pulls into a bed really is not meant to accommodate two adults on there. Royal of course allows it but I promise I have been on 61 cruises and I have had to sleep on that couch before there is no way fitting another adult on there would be comfortable. Of course its your vacation and if you want to keep the Oceanview cabin go for it. I just think your daughter and her boyfriend are not going to get the best sleep and a week is a long time to not have the best sleep. Just my opinion of course but just to put it into perspective even Mr.Matt Hochberg gets two rooms and his kids are young lol. 

We normally put all 4 of my kids in a room and we'll have a connecting cabin.  On HOTS, we only had 3 kids in an OVB room (4th child with grandma in another room) and even with only 3 kids, HOTS was the tightest we've ever felt.  I'll agree with the other posters, either you keep the OVB and they move to a room across the hall or do 2 boardwalk balconies.  

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond, you have convince me.  We will be getting two cabin's not sure the category but I'm taking ya'lls wisdom and running with it!

I love the big ships (never been this big) and my husband is on the fence.  So the more I educate myself to improving our cruise they more he'll enjoy it too.

I plan on filling up with all your advice and then when on the ship putting it to good use but just having a great time and enjoying ourselves!!

We have learned it's all about attitude.

Thanks again, I'm sure you will hear from me again.  If I ask too many questions you guys can just get Matt to block me. ? 

I am on the second stateroom bandwagon.  We are going on Symphony at the end of the month as we got two connecting balcony ocean front rooms, one for the wife and I and one for our two daughters (9) and (7).  We have been on several Disney cruises and stayed in one balcony room and it was a bit crowded. This feeling was even when the girls were much younger.  I would really suggest, as a number of people have, to look in to/ask your travel agent about getting two rooms.  And look at connecting rooms if there is any uneasy feeling of the boyfriend factor. haha.... 

We took a wonderful cruise with our adult children in September.  It was a fabulous family vacation.  We had our two sons, our daughter and her boyfriend and my husband and me.  My husband and I had a spacious ocean view cabin.  I would not have wanted even one other adult in there.  We got inside staterooms for the kids.  They were fine with that.  It gave us all some privacy, but we also had plenty of time together.  We did let our daughter and her boyfriend share a cabin-didn't love that, but they are living together and got engaged shortly thereafter.