Oasis AND Symphony of the Seas chartered Feb 02,2020

Hard to believe that BOTH would be cancelled for the exact same dates......I can't imagine the $$$ that must be paid to make it worthwhile to Royal to do this (although I didn't see/hear what kinda compensation they were giving as a result)

I was just thinking the other day, as I have booked Harmony, that you don't normally see these big ships with cancelled cruises as charted out, but I guess I should always worry!!

• 10 months later...
19 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

How much time does the cruise line give to already booked passengers that they've been bumped by a charter? Could they give less than 90 days?

Full ship charters are a huge undertaking and would be booked and set years ahead of time, just as much work as Royal setting their own itineraries.  I would say zero chance of a full ship being chartered in less than 90 days.  Most charters are smaller groups (still could be hundreds of people, but not the whole ship) and they could be on any cruise, anywhere, anytime.

23 hours ago, dr martini said:

Full ship charters are a huge undertaking and would be booked and set years ahead of time, just as much work as Royal setting their own itineraries.  I would say zero chance of a full ship being chartered in less than 90 days.  Most charters are smaller groups (still could be hundreds of people, but not the whole ship) and they could be on any cruise, anywhere, anytime.

Then why would they have to cancel booked cruises with short notice and ruin logistics for over 5,000 people if they knew the ships(full ship charters) were privatelychartered years in advance? That doesn’t add up. 

1 hour ago, SteveT said:

Then why would they have to cancel booked cruises with short notice and ruin logistics for over 5,000 people if they knew the ships(full ship charters) were privatelychartered years in advance? That doesn’t add up. 

The original post was written in March of last year. Far from last-minute but still annoying to be told when you’re inside a year of your desired sail date and now have to find an alternate sailing that still works.

I imagine that the final deal and details aren’t worked out between the charter company and Royal until right around that time frame. Probably whole teams of lawyers looking over the contracts, and negotiations over what special events or amenities will be provided, etc.

Found this on the faq page http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/full-ship-charter-faqs/

Royal Caribbean International does not typically consider Full Ship Charter requests within 12 months of the requested sail date and/or for those sailings booked above a pre-determined threshold. Charter should be planned at least a year in advance. Most clients charter one year in advance and some as far out as two or more years.

For Re-Sale charters, it is in the best interest of the client to allow ample time to promote the charter (12 months+). The cost of displacing booked guests will be a factor for any “open” sailing and will generally be lower if the charter is contracted farther out.

So they basically require at least a year, and the ship cant already be booked beyond a set number of bookings.

I was also on the ship before the chic fil a people were going.  They were going to do a 2 day cruise just for the staff of symphony, comeback and then the 3000 people were going to do a 5 day cruise.  We made friends with many of the bartenders and they said most workers hadn’t really seen the ship and all the fun on board.  At the airport I saw some the of “handlers” for the group going with chic fil a.  Most were going to the super bowl first.  Sounded like it was mainly the family who owns chic fil a and their friends, maybe the franchise owners too but they only had 3000 going but had to purchase every room