What do we know about the Icon Class ships?

I saw them on a walkthrough of Celebrity Edge and feel in love with the concept immediately, I really  hope that they come through with that feature on the Icon!  I just can not wait to see what happens as details slowly start to leak out.  One thing for sure is that I can see myself being on one not long after one gets stationed in the USA. 

Actually tall ships are an engineering challenge.  The higher you go the lower they have to sit in the water or they become top heavy and handle poorly.  That's why Oasis went wide, not taller and taller.

Most lines have older and smaller ships.  Anthem towers over the NCL Sky.  NCL Bliss towers over Empress. 

Bridges are also a problem for tall ships. As icon-class is being built in meyer turku they cant be over 65m because of the great belt bridge in denmark. As far as i know from my sources the design of the ship is not final yet and thats why there is no information at all from royal. Over two years of design after first announcement of new class, i wonder what kind of WOWs they will have for icon.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:13 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Even if some of the newer ships on other lines tower over some of the older ships from Royal, I'm not sure I'd call them "inferior".   

no, the newer ships too, NCL's Breakaway plus class and the MSC Seaside are 19-20 stories and quantum is 16 with oasis at 18

23 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

I was on Symphony with Bliss docked right next to us. It certainly didn’t appear to tower over us. 9761DBD5-9B43-4FDC-909E-992AA8AE2E3F.thumb.jpeg.dbc5b819a368b7dc0f29d9c8a783a4fd.jpegTo me the other ships look inferior to Symphony. Just my humble opinion 

yeah. Bliss and Seaside are comparable to Anthem of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas. 

Looks like MSC numbers their decks starting with crews and engine room decks.  Guest decks start at 5.  Same with the Bliss.  

Royal starts there deck numbering lower with some below the water line decks called 0 or 00.  On Oasis class guest decks start at 3.  

Measuring ship height just by deck numbers is irrelevant which accounts for the Seasides "20" decks being the same as Quantum class and less that Oasis class at "18" decks.

It's also hard to get a real sense of the true height of a ship while you're standing on it.  If you're looking from a pool deck at the ship in the next parking space, there are some odd angles and forced-perspective going on that can make the neighboring ship appear much taller than it really is.  It's also hard to adjust for how much more ship is above you.  Theme parks use this trick on purpose to make the attractions seem bigger from the ground.

3 hours ago, Antonio said:

no, the newer ships too, NCL's Breakaway plus class and the MSC Seaside are 19-20 stories and quantum is 16 with oasis at 18

My point being why is shorter "inferior"?  You're basically saying it's not as good of a ship if it's not amongst the tallest. What an irrelevant way to evaluate a ship.