Main Dining Room Etiquette

I hope this is not a silly question, but with regards to MDR etiquette, do we have to tell them before hand if we are not showing up that night for dinner? I would hate to have the server and staff be waiting on us for no reason. Thank you.  

PS This forum is a goldmine of information.  We are going on Symphony March 30 for a 7-day cruise and I have learned so much. 

I can also tell you that in our limited experience (only 3 cruises on RC so far ?... and will continue to live vicariously through everyone on this blog!), during the course of your dinner, someone on your server team will ask you how your day was and what your plans are for dinner the next evening. They naturally will know if you elected My Time dining (and understand that you may have altered your dining time for the next evening) or that you may be electing to go to a specialty restaurant or even the Windjammer at some point. Definitely agree that it would be good etiquette to make sure they know your plans (if you know them at that time!).

If I know I wont be there, I let the wait staff know.  It's not that you have to tell them. Sometimes things happen and making dinner just doesnt work, but I feel like if I know, I will inform them so they don't have to concern themselves with waiting for me.