Enchantment of the Seas - 3/8-3/11/19 Bahamas Recap

KJ1231

Just back from a 3-night cruise to the Bahamas on Enchantment OTS. Some highlights and lowlights...

Highlights

• The Key has it's benefits. We got from the car to Chops in record time for a great lunch. I had the branzino (Friday in Lent) and my wife had the filet. It was excellent! We were asked 3 separate times to make reservations for dinner at 20% off and since it was a special weekend we went for it.
  • Nassau - we booked a TruBahamian food tour (not an RC excursion) that was great! You get lots of cultural information and stop at 6 different spots for food and drink. We had a great time!
  • When we got back on the ship and to our cabin we had a nice bowl of fruit waiting for us with The Key logo with it. An unexpected perk.
  • We ate in the MDR twice and had Aries and Mark as our waiter and assistant. They were excellent. They gave my wife a discount on the surf & turf without an explanation....
  • Disappointed that we wouldn't make it to CocoCay, we booked the "Family Beach Escapeause we wanted a beach and chairs. This was the only excursion that listed chairs and was all my wife wanted for this cruise was a beach and a chair. Food was okay... fruity drinks (non-alcoholic) were refreshing. There was plenty to do (jet-ski's, parasail, floating mats, etc.) It was Bahamas  Adventures over near Lucaya

Lowlights

• When we called Chops on Sunday around 5:00 to confirm our dinner reservation we learned it was never recorded. Turn out we had no reservation and couldn't get one before 8:00. We passed on dinner and ate in the MDR.
  • On the beach adventure we were told we had to be back on the bus at 1:30. Apparently there were later buses going back to Freeport since there was another ship (Grand Celebration - Bahamas Paradise) that had an excursion here. We could have stayed at the beach another hour or two.
  • Only issue we had with The Key was with our luggage. You get special tags to put your luggage out the night before. We got up early and had our breakfast in the MDR (complimets of The Key). We got off the ship and to where the luggage should have been a little before 8:00. I re-read the fine print on the letter that was with the tags and it did say luggage would be available at 8:15 - my bad! Luggage was there around 8:25.
  • Windjammer on Enchantment was subpar. Maybe we were spoiled with WJ on Brilliance and Radiance. It was smaller, more cramped and the layout made it hard to maneuver. Update: and food not nearly as good as Brilliance and Radiance.

All-in-all we had a great trip. Good enough that my wife booked another junior suite on Mariner next February going to Nassau and CocoCay!

Another non-cruise highlight was a short trip to Merritt Island where I went bird watching. It was absolutely incredible So many birds, so little time!

Couple Updates:

The RC "Family Beach Escape" was with Bahamas Adventure. Trip Advisor has this page for all of their excursions (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147420-d8728057-Reviews-Bahamas_Adventures-Freeport_Grand_Bahama_Island_Bahamas.html ) and only 3 reviews, including mine when it gets approved (https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail-g147420-d12939450-Family_Beach_Escape-Freeport_Grand_Bahama_Island_Bahamas.html?from_tpa=true )

Here is the Trip Advisor link for the TruBahamian Food Tours: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d3701058-Reviews-Tru_Bahamian_Food_Tours-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

12 hours ago, KJ1231 said:

When we called Chops on Sunday around 5:00 to confirm our dinner reservation we learned it was never recorded. Turn out we had no reservation and couldn't get one before 8:00. We passed on dinner and ate in the MDR.

How did you make the initial reservation for 5 that was never actually made? Curious who dropped the ball.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

How did you make the initial reservation for 5 that was never actually made? Curious who dropped the ball.

While we were having our embarkation lunch as part of The Key benefits 2 or 3 different crew came to us asking if we would like to make a dinner reservation. It became obvious that one of the primary purposes of the lunch was to generate dinner business. We had dinner New Year's Eve in Chops on Brilliance and decided that since we got about $300 back on this cruise in OBC because of the CocoCay->Freeport switch that we would do the dinner. The young lady with a clipboard took our cabin number and day/time (Sunday @ 6:00) and told us we would have a reservation. When we called at 5:00 on Sunday (on a whim as we were getting dressed for dinner) to verify they had a table for us at 6:00, we were told that we had no reservation and that we could make one for anytime after 8:00 that same night. We set our eating schedule for the day based on the 6:00 reservation as we wanted to get our money's worth so waiting til 8:00 at that point was not an option. We went to the MDR where we had our "regular" table scheduled for 6:00. So I'm assuming the young lady who took our information for the reservation "dropped the ball".

Interesting side note - we talked to a couple crew and this was their first stint with RC. The one's we talked to said they start with the smaller ships and graduate to the larger ships. For example, the young lady that was watching the seats set aside for The Key  folks in the theater said this was her first tour with RC and that she would be on Anthem this summer. So I don't know if the missed reservation was due to an oversight - there was a list on her clipboard by the time she signed us up - due to her being new OR a breakdown somewhere else in the process.