Internet options without Voom

Hi All!

Just wondering if there are any internet options available on the ship without getting Voom, similar to how a hotel may have WiFi access in the lobby but not the rooms?

After reading some of the awesome live blogs, I am thinking I might like to do one myself on my sailing later this year, but I am not really interested in getting the internet package. I like the idea of being disconnected, and my whole family will be in the ship with me, so I don’t need it for communicating with those back home, and tbh I don’t want to spend the money! 

Anyway, advice much appreciated. 

While at sea, your only options are Voom or paying MUCH more to use Cellular At Sea which is sort of like international roaming except it isn't included with any cell phone plan.  There are no cell towers at sea so you're paying to use the ship's tower connected to a satellite.  

While on the ship in port, the ship's tower is off, so your options are Voom or trying to connect to the local cell network.  This may work if you are on a balcony or the open decks but not so well inside.  Cost depends on your carrier's rates for international roaming.

While off the ship in port, you can almost always find free wifi somewhere (most bars and restaurants offer it to paying customers but some towns just offer it free.)  You could save your posts and upload them while you are off the ship.  I haven't done a live blog but I've used this method to check email and send/receive texts once or twice a day.

If you want to do a live blog, especially with pictures, you are going to need VOOM.  You don't have any guarantee you will find fast wifi for free on land and really do you want to spend the time looking for that?

An alternative would be to write things up as you go and then just upload after you get home.  But no, there is no free wifi on the ship, not even for the crew.