Oasis Class Ships - Mega Ships

rcdave

Oasis Class Ships

It is my understanding that RC has 4 Oasis class ships in service with another two scheduled to come online shortly. I am wondering if RC has given any thought to designing/refurbishing one of these ships to be geared more towards the more mature (old fart) cruiser. I can appreciate all of the water slides, flow riders, zip lines, carousels, kiddie pools, water acrobats, etc. for family cruisers. However I would think it would be nice to have an alternative option to cruise on a ship that has:

Expanded retail space with a variety of shops (books, electronics, clothing, etc.)

Virtual golf, pickle ball courts, racquet ball courts, sports bars, theater for Broadway type shows, etc.

Larger adult pool/solarium space, more and larger pools

Provide more lecture/learning (arts, finance/economics, global history, health, etc.) series

Full IMAX Theater with first run movies

Expanded Central Park space

And so on.

An additional thought, since quite a few ports are unable to accommodate these large ships how about treating the cruise/ship as a destination in itself.  Possibly regular scheduled transatlantic cruises going between a US port to Europe/Asia/South America.  I myself would much prefer to travel to and from Europe or Asia by ship rather than fly (sorry airline industry).  Once at the destination do my traveling and return to the next scheduled cruise back to where I started. 

It will be interesting to see how Charles Branson does with his adult only cruise line.

I think it's a great idea! Probably mainly because I fall into the "old fart" category. The truth is, the youth tend to spend money willy-nilly as long as their is a source.....Mom & Dad, ATM, etc.

Mom and Dad have been around the block. They are looking at things a bit differently and usually spend their money more wisely. The bottom line for the cruise lines is profit......somewhere in there is reasoning why I don't see it happening. But....I think it's a great idea and I would book it.

I just don't see this as feasible. First, it goes against the entirety of RCI's brand strategy. They are a family/multigenerational cruise line with innovations and groundbreaking activities and entertainment. The activities you mention seem to be more suited for Celebrity or Azamara. 

Also, the Oasis Class is too large of a ship to limit to just adults, imo. That cuts out a huge segment of potential cruisers.

It would also cause confusion for consumers, as it would result in inconsistency across the fleet. Royal already struggles with this issue when it comes to their small vs. large ships.

Regarding transatlantic sailings, the profits just aren't there for a large ship. That's a lot of berths to fill for a two week cruise on a regularly scheduled basis.

I just don't think Royal will ever do what you are suggesting. Like others have stated they are a very family friendly brand and I don't think they see any money in making a boat just for an older crowd. Also as others have stated Celebrity and Azamara pretty much do what you suggested except their boats are not as big as Oasis class ships. Have you ever been on Celebrity? I have and even though I am only 32 I really enjoyed it and enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere. 

The very concept of Oasis Class is based on seven distinct neighborhoods, each tailored to provide variety for the spectrum of family cruisers.  That is a large part of the appeal - something for everyone in the family from young to old.  Seven neighborhoods all tailored to old people is not something I ever see Royal attempting.  In fact that flies in the face of Royal's ideology.  

It sounds like you are seeking a kidless experience and Royal is the wrong cruise line for that.  No judgement, it's your money, find a cruise line that meets your needs.

For me approaching old fart status I enjoy Royal because it's fun being around people having fun and doing activities even though I can't participate in them all.  It keeps me young.  It also keeps the younger crowd away from areas I may like to hang out so I can enjoy the Solarium or Central Park without it full of bored kids with nothing to do.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

For me approaching old fart status I enjoy Royal because it's fun being around people having fun and doing activities even though I can't participate in them all.  It keeps me young. 

+1 on this. I sometimes can't or don't want to do the activities but I enjoy watching.

I have 5 grandchildren and even though I try and run with them and play games the old knees tell me no, so instead I watch them and find enjoyment from their youth.

I have looked at Celebrity and plan on cruising on Celebrity at some point and time when their schedule and my schedule line up, when I do cruise with them my expectations are that the crowd will be more mature and more laid back, so I will have may expectations meet and enjoy my cruise.

Oops, sorry about that Mr. Branson.

I understand that I could cruise on different lines (have been on Celebrity with two cruises coming up shortly).  Also I have cruised on Princess.  I like all of them, however RC is the only one with ships the size of the Oasis class. I have sailed on the Allure twice and once on the Oasis – I enjoy the large ships.  One surprise is that I never felt that I was in a crowd – folks were pretty evenly spaced out (though the solarium could be a little larger).

I completely understand how people enjoy sailing with the grand kids and family or just being around and watching kids have fun.  Remember RC will have 6 of these ships in service over the next couple of years – so there is plenty of ship real estate to go around.  I’m only suggesting modifying one ship for the more mature crowd. As of now, as far as I am aware, there is no option for a mature oriented (does not mean a kids free ship such as Richard, alias Charles, is promoting) Oasis class ship to cruise on.

Cost of transatlantic crossing:   I am not sure what the cost would be for an Oasis class ship.  However, the QM2 does it in 6 nights so I am not sure how the fuel costs would compare to a Caribbean 7 night Allure cruise. One would think there would be a savings in port costs since there would be none other than the embarkation/destination ports.  Food/labor/etc. should be the same I would think.  One thing to remember, on a transatlantic RC has a captive audience – more time on the ship the more folks are going to spend.

Infrastructure/maintenance costs:  Substituting the items I listed for what is on an Oasis class ship now, it might be a wash. However, what I listed is pretty much low maintenance.  Maintenance/operational expense on the flow rider, water slides, etc. would, to me, be higher.   One note, during my numerous trips to the Dog House I rarely saw anyone riding the carousel, could be timing.

Anyways, what I posted was just a suggestion for RC to offer more Oasis class options.   I love cruising with RC and I enjoy the large ships – just looking for options within the RC line. Maybe the answer is for RC to add an Oasis class ship to the Celebrity lineJ.  

34 minutes ago, rcdave said:

I’m only suggesting modifying one ship for the more mature crowd.

I'm not trying to be insulting in anyway, but I think the notion of what features/amenities are for a "mature crowd" is a flawed concept.  I mean, there are clearly older guests who do enjoy activities like a FlowRider or water slide.  Moreover, I bet there are some older guests who would have no interest in lectures, racquet ball courts, etc.  

I guess I'm saying even if you aim for a particular demographic, there's no guarantee it's what those people want. Plus, who among us hasn't given an experience on RC a try simply because it was there and being on vacation means sometimes branching out?

I'd also argue the Oasis Class ships are inherently packed with things to do that have mass appeal. I know your point is to focus in one direction, rather than going for that mass appeal, but because there's so much to do on an Oasis Class, I just don't see a need.

I'd also point out the economics that all mass market cruise lines like RC chase, primarily looking for the new to cruise demographic because they represent the greatest source of growth and lowest cost of acquisition. 

If nothing else, it's been an interesting look into the dynamics of what cruise ships offer and a fun discussion.

i'm in the majority.  with current demographics of Royal's marketing push, i would venture to say it would be a challenge for them to fill up an Oasis sized ship with a more adult themed group.  that being said, Carnival is doing an adults only cruise this summer so maybe thats what they are testing.  however, the undertaking to revamp a complete ship to make it 100% adult oriented going forward would be a huge cost with a high risk on returns if it concept fails.  With Virgin hitting next year, that will be the bench mark.  suprisingly, their rates aren't horrible but for me, its not worth the cost of a flight to Florida for a 4-5 day cruise     What next?  Disney doing an adult cruise?  nah

Its just simpler and more efficient for a line to focus on their target demographic, which is why you see most cruise lines, or in fact most attraction industry companies, tend to stay in their lanes. All the marketing money is poured towards getting the target demo to look into their product over others, not to mention the millions in R&D and license purchases. Those who really want the sort of experience you describe simply don't look at RC for their needs, and so it doesn't quite make sense for them to spend the massive investment that is an Oasis-class on targeting a demographic that isn't part of their marketing strategy.

15 hours ago, rcdave said:

Oops, sorry about that Mr. Branson.

I understand that I could cruise on different lines (have been on Celebrity with two cruises coming up shortly).  Also I have cruised on Princess.  I like all of them, however RC is the only one with ships the size of the Oasis class. I have sailed on the Allure twice and once on the Oasis – I enjoy the large ships.  One surprise is that I never felt that I was in a crowd – folks were pretty evenly spaced out (though the solarium could be a little larger).

I completely understand how people enjoy sailing with the grand kids and family or just being around and watching kids have fun.  Remember RC will have 6 of these ships in service over the next couple of years – so there is plenty of ship real estate to go around.  I’m only suggesting modifying one ship for the more mature crowd. As of now, as far as I am aware, there is no option for a mature oriented (does not mean a kids free ship such as Richard, alias Charles, is promoting) Oasis class ship to cruise on.

Cost of transatlantic crossing:   I am not sure what the cost would be for an Oasis class ship.  However, the QM2 does it in 6 nights so I am not sure how the fuel costs would compare to a Caribbean 7 night Allure cruise. One would think there would be a savings in port costs since there would be none other than the embarkation/destination ports.  Food/labor/etc. should be the same I would think.  One thing to remember, on a transatlantic RC has a captive audience – more time on the ship the more folks are going to spend.

Infrastructure/maintenance costs:  Substituting the items I listed for what is on an Oasis class ship now, it might be a wash. However, what I listed is pretty much low maintenance.  Maintenance/operational expense on the flow rider, water slides, etc. would, to me, be higher.   One note, during my numerous trips to the Dog House I rarely saw anyone riding the carousel, could be timing.

Anyways, what I posted was just a suggestion for RC to offer more Oasis class options.   I love cruising with RC and I enjoy the large ships – just looking for options within the RC line. Maybe the answer is for RC to add an Oasis class ship to the Celebrity lineJ.  

Not to put you or your idea down in anyway but I don't think even the "mature crowd" want what you suggest. After reading your post I spoke to some people in their 70's and asked them if this would be of interest to them. They all told me No lol. They told me the activities you suggested are kind of old school cruising and sort of boring to them. I am in no way saying they are or aren't but I asked about 20 people and they all said the same thing that they can do all those activities you suggested at home in their "condo clubhouses" and when they are on vacation they want to do something different and exciting. So I totally respect that you would love to cruise this way I'm just not sure you can speak for everyone your age and say this is what people that age want to do. Again no disrespect I just happen to be at a over 55+ community yesterday and I decided to take a mini survey.

I think the best will be (and I think that is were RCL went with Q class) to have multi function locations that can serve many different activities , in Oasis I can see how for example the ice skating ring can changed to racquet ball court as it is being used on Symphony and Indi for laser  Tag.

I do not see any issues of adding more lectures, when I was on a cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore there was a 4 part lecture (during sea days) which I enjoyed but I guess in the Caribbean route less people are interested in such activity.