Beverage Package conundrum

Jedi_Mky

Greetings all,

I've read all the great commentary so far, but I'm still struggling to make up my mind. My wife and I are booked for the 7-day/5-port Caribbean cruise on Freedom later this year. Even though we're planning an excursion at each of the five ports, I'm still thinking that the deluxe package would be reasonable because the (current sale) price difference between the deluxe and refreshment packages is $27/day/person. My wife is thinking it may not be economical if we're getting off almost everyday, but I know that at dinner we may have 2-3 glasses of wine, and then have a cocktail or two going to a show, club or other activity in the evening. I think that based on the pricing some of you have graciously posted about individual drinks, I believe the $27 would be made up for rather quickly. If any of you have done this trip before (or something similar in days and ports), I'd love to hear your input.

Thank you

Edited by Jedi_Mky
extra wording

To be honest, this upcoming cruise will be the first time my wife and I elected to purchase the deluxe beverage package (decision made easy based on the fact that we're travelling with good friends and we have the full day in Labadee to take advantage of the package!). We usually just buy the soda package and buy the specialty coffees and drinks a la carte. We are usually relatively light drinkers... maybe 1-2 glasses of wine and 1-2 mixed drinks/cocktails per day.

Based on what you're telling us, it sounds like with just a $27/day difference in cost, it would definitely make sense to go for the DBP. I've read on this forum that the package will cover drinks up to $12 or $13 based on the particular ship/sailing. I believe, from what I recall, that most wine or cocktails will cost somewhere between $8-$12 each... so 3-5 glasses of wine and/or cocktails should at the very least allow you to break even... let's see what the folks with more experience with the DBP have to say! 

This is exactly how I figure out my drink package - I'd never get less than the Refreshment package, so it's only a couple of drinks a day to make up the difference. If you're spending a whole day off the ship for many days, maybe not, but it seems that port days typically aren't lasting 10-12 hours.  That's just me.

Part of the logic problem I always have with the package.

Can get RR for $20 a day. For $29 more (typically three drinks) I could upgrade to DX. Only catch ends up being if I'm sailing with someone that doesn't drink what is offered in the RR much less DX.

The magic number is about 5 drinks a day (average across all days). It sounds like you would be getting the refreshment package anyway (coffees, juices, water, etc.) in which case your magic number drops to about 3 drinks per day.

Even with port days thats not hard to hit, so i would go for it.

For me the refreshment package doesnt really have any value so its a straight jump from 0 to deluxe but if you would do refreshment anyway then it really isnt a hard decision.

Since you specifically mentioned wine, I can reassure you that it is very easy to meet the DBP threshold as a wine drinker. Most wines that I would consider at the nicer end of "low" range (e.g., Ravenswood Zinfandel, or a decent Chardonnay) go for at least $14 a glass. I would regularly order Tuscans or other wines from the "adventurous reds" section that were at least $17 a glass, so I was paying the overage (plus gratuity).

If you expect to drink 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner every night, you will have no problem meeting the $27 extra per day for the DBP.