Another Royal Caribbean Ship Catches Fire - Splendour

"Royal Caribbean's Splendor of the Seas caught on fire this morning as the cruise ship was sailing in the Mediterranean near the Greek islands. 

“There’s thick acrid smoke all over the cabins," reported an Irish passenger according to UTV in London.

“We can constantly smell smoke. Smoke here. Smoke everywhere. Everywhere on the ship we can smell smoke," added the passenger.  

A crew member contacted me after the engine room fire, saying that it was a "big fire" and the crew were summoned to their emergency stations for many hours. The ship is now heading toward Venice.

There were no deaths and the cruise line claims that there were no injuries. However, a passenger commented that "many elderly and disabled passengers appeared to be struggling," 

He added “everything is smoke damaged. The smell of burning plastic and burning rubber was very thick on our floor so everything in our room is contaminated.â€

Royal Caribbean tweeted: "#SplendourOfTheSeas experienced a fire this morning in 1 of its engine rooms. Fire was contained & extinguished, all systems are functioning."

Royal Caribbean experienced a large fire in July when the Freedom of the Seas erupted in flames as it approached Falmouth, Jamaica."

J. Walker, Cruise Law

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/10/articles/fires-1/splendour-of-the-seas-catches-on-fire/

Dumb Question...

We are booked on Spendour next week, 10/31.

I wonder, considering the reports of the engine and smoke damage... if this cruise is going to be canceled?

I suppose Royal Caribbean will make an announcement very soon.

Not a dumb question at all and a valid concern.

Royal will contact you and will post to their home page if there's a change. I would also call to verify just to be safe before heading out.

Dumb Question...

We are booked on Spendour next week, 10/31.

I wonder, considering the reports of the engine and smoke damage... if this cruise is going to be canceled?

I suppose Royal Caribbean will make an announcement very soon.

I highly doubt the next sailing will be cancelled.  Cruise cancellations are quite rare.  

I was on Freedom of the Seas the sailing after its fire earlier this summer and we went off without a hitch.

Seems like the new ice berg is fire-on-board.

Maybe the cruise lines would be smart to get some fire experts on board to be in the engine rooms.

Fires have always been the biggest threat to ships in and out of the water, which is why certain restrictions are in place regarding open flames, taking interior furniture onto balconies, etc. I'm more concerned about a ship catching fire than I am of it sinking, which is why the Coast Guatd requires the crew to be trained so that they can respond quickly. Statistically speaking, though, it is a rare occurrence given the number of sailings compared to the number of fires. Unfortunately, not all lines have been as fortunate; Carnival comes to mind.

Regarding your question, I wouldn't dry dock Freedom based on reports from you and Matt and because of the costs. In addition, think of the PR nightmare of disgruntled guests.