A few Alaskan Cruise questions

LandstromCruise

Going on first Alaskan cruise this summer. First question is about the internet package. Is it needed, or are you able to be on the wireless cell since you are in US mostly?  My wife likes to have it so she can listen to her music while in the gym, and I like to have it to keep my email cleaned out so I don’t come home to hundreds of emails to go through. 

Second question is about excursions. We are doing a southbound 7 night on radiance middle of July and want to know the must do excursions. The wife is a pretty adventurous type and loves the wildlife, birds in particular. Thanks for any advice. 

In port your US cell phones will work normally. 

When away from port, no cell coverage in most cases. 

Excursions in Alaska range from typical to Wow with prices to match.  Plan a healthy budget. I’ve done southbound twice. My favorite itinerary. 

In Juneau there is a captive bald eagle up the Mt Roberts tramway.  Google Lady Baltimore.  

Here is a live blog I did in 2018 on a Radiance Southbound cruise:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9160-not-so-live-blog-radiance-of-the-seas-alaska-southbound-83118/

Eagles are definitely plentiful in Alaska (like they can be here in Minnesota) - in Skagway there were about 40 of them feeding off of dead fish right at the pier (Bald Eagles are typically lazy ass birds who would prefer to scavenge than hunt, if given a choice, which they were that day).

14 minutes ago, Sweety said:

Whale watching tour are always great. My six year old nephew wants to go back just for whales.

+1.  We did our whale watching excursion out of Icy Strait Point (we did see a whale).  However, the most impressive whale sighting was from the Champagne Bar Window on the ship, a couple of breaches.  So, when on the Radiance,  try to always sit by a window.

I have a Live Blog on here but quick summary:

Juneau: we did whale watching tour and Mendenhall Glacier combo. We did see two whales. Recommend!

Skagway: we did the train ride up to the Yukon. I would do this again. Recommend

Icy Strait: I did the birdwatching tour. A young school teacher led the tour for 3 of us. We stopped at a few different spots and we did see birds (including Rufus hummingbirds at her home!). Birding in Alaska, I found, was difficult because of all the Sitka pine trees. They are thick and trying to catch sight of a smaller bird in or near them I found difficult. Recommend

Ketchikan: we did the duckboat ride. Based on safety reports of these things I would hesitate doing it again since it is enclosed and if something goes wrong I'm not sure that everyone gets out.  

One of the biggest highlights of our trip was the afternoon train ride from Anchorage to Seward. The trip was narrated with food and beverage available for a price. Others have taken the early morning train so they would have time in Seward before the ship pulls out. If you aren't scheduled for a land tour before the cruise, be sure to contact RC to get on the afternoon train or make arrangements on your own with Alaska Railroad for the morning train! 

3 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

One of the biggest highlights of our trip was the afternoon train ride from Anchorage to Seward. The trip was narrated with food and beverage available for a price. Others have taken the early morning train so they would have time in Seward before the ship pulls out. If you aren't scheduled for a land tour before the cruise, be sure to contact RC to get on the afternoon train or make arrangements on your own with Alaska Railroad for the morning train! 

I second this!  We took the morning train on our own (actually diverting from the land tour's bus itinerary) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  You get to see wildlife and little towns and even a glacier along that route.  The train was a very comfortable way to get from Anchorage to Seward.  Also if you're in Seward the morning before the cruise departs it is a real easy town to explore.  They have a free shuttle bus that will take you in a loop around the town.  We visited the Alaska Sealife Center for part of the morning before the cruise.