Possible to split meals in specialty restaurants?

JerseyJoe

I'd be completely surprised if you had a problem! You are paying for the cruise and the additional charge to eat in the specialty restaurant. I cannot see how they would not let you eat less food than you technically paid for when it's common for folks to ask for multiple appetizers, desserts, etc!

I'm going to guess they will be very happy to accommodate you... they will want to make you happy. ?

Yes !  This is mine and Dan’s favorite thing to do !  We always share our food.  I am not much of a beef eater but I love a bite or 2 of steak. We will always get 1 steak and share it and generally share all of our entrees.

Now....if you are asking if you can purchase 1 meal and just pay for 1 person but have 2 people at the table, eating ....hmmmm...don’t know about that.  We have always paid for 2 but shared all of our food.  I suspect they would not permit that but I really don’t know. Never heard of anyone asking.  

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes !  This is mine and Dan’s favorite thing to do !  We always share our food.  I am not much of a beef eater but I love a bite or 2 of steak. We will always get 1 steak and share it and generally share all of our entrees.

Now....if you are asking if you can purchase 1 meal and just pay for 1 person but have 2 people at the table, eating ....hmmmm...don’t know about that.  We have always paid for 2 but shared all of our food.  I suspect they would not permit that but I really don’t know. Never heard of anyone asking.  

Yes, I was asking about paying for 1 meal. We both had bariatric surgery about 6 years ago, and only have 25% of a stomach. It won't make sense for us to have a ton of leftovers if we have no way of heating them up, and if there is constantly new food being offered. 

1 minute ago, Joe Stahl said:

Yes, I was asking about paying for 1 meal. We both had bariatric surgery about 6 years ago, and only have 25% of a stomach. It won't make sense for us to have a ton of leftovers if we have no way of heating them up, and if there is constantly new food being offered. 

I see.  It is worth asking the question. It seems reasonable, given the circumstances.

10 hours ago, JerseyJoe said:

Yes, I suppose a call or an email would make sense. 

7 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

They are also VERY responsive on Facebook messenger.

I can also personally attest to Facebook messenger!

I just sent them a Facebook IM 10 minutes ago to confirm our complimentary lunch options (Giovanni's, Sabor or Johnny Rocket's for those interested!) for our Central Park balcony cabin and they literally responded in about one minute!!! I wanted to confirm so that we could decide ahead of time which restaurant to choose for the Key complimentary lunch on embarkation day... Chops Grille it is! ☺️

1 hour ago, JohnK6404 said:

I can also personally attest to Facebook messenger!

I just sent them a Facebook IM 10 minutes ago to confirm our complimentary lunch options (Giovanni's, Sabor or Johnny Rocket's for those interested!) for our Central Park balcony cabin and they literally responded in about one minute!!! I wanted to confirm so that we could decide ahead of time which restaurant to choose for the Key complimentary lunch on embarkation day... Chops Grille it is! ☺️

Are you referring to the Royal Caribbean International group, or some other group?

I did message them on Facebook, and got the following answer:

Hey, Joe. For our venues that have a cover, this fee is charged per person. We recognize this may not work for everyone, so we do have other options available onboard. You'd still be able to take advantage of our Dining Packages for more savings on your specialty dining experience. You can also definitely share with each other at our venues such as El Loco Fresh, Johnny Rockets, Izumi Asian Cuisine (at lunchtime), Playmakers, and more, where the menus are a la carte. You're also welcome to join us for any meal in the Windjammer and Main Dining Room onboard! -Kayla

32 minutes ago, JerseyJoe said:

I did message them on Facebook, and got the following answer:

Hey, Joe. For our venues that have a cover, this fee is charged per person. We recognize this may not work for everyone, so we do have other options available onboard. You'd still be able to take advantage of our Dining Packages for more savings on your specialty dining experience. You can also definitely share with each other at our venues such as El Loco Fresh, Johnny Rockets, Izumi Asian Cuisine (at lunchtime), Playmakers, and more, where the menus are a la carte. You're also welcome to join us for any meal in the Windjammer and Main Dining Room onboard! -Kayla

that stinks. I know its not the answer you were hoping for, but I had a feeling that would be their answer. I remember reading in another forum people had the same issue as you and Royal just wouldn't budge. 

27 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

that stinks. I know its not the answer you were hoping for, but I had a feeling that would be their answer. I remember reading in another forum people had the same issue as you and Royal just wouldn't budge. 

It does stink, but was pretty much what I was expecting. I can see it being hard to manage, and people trying to get over on them somehow, so I'm not mad about it. It's not like there aren't other options, and if we are really in the mood for something different, we'll pay for 2 meals. Just stinks that there will be so much food wasted. 

One thought is  "Let's Make a Deal" on board. Ask if they will allow one of the cover charges be the lower kids one, think it is $10. Could sell it to them as a plate splitting charge. Just explain the situation and tell them you won't be going crazy getting multiple apps and desserts.

11 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

One thought is  "Let's Make a Deal" on board. Ask if they will allow one of the cover charges be the lower kids one, think it is $10. Could sell it to them as a plate splitting charge. Just explain the situation and tell them you won't be going crazy getting multiple apps and desserts.

We definitely wouldn't. If we eat an appetizer, we can't even eat our meal at all. 

I was wondering something a little different when it comes to splitting meals.  Would I be able to gift a specialty dining night from a 3 night pack to someone?  My wife and I are planning to buy a 3 specialty dinning package, but I was wondering if I can give one of my nights to my mother in law so she and my wife can have a nice meal together while my daughter and I go "slum" it in the main dining ?

8 hours ago, DublinFC said:

I was wondering something a little different when it comes to splitting meals.  Would I be able to gift a specialty dining night from a 3 night pack to someone?  My wife and I are planning to buy a 3 specialty dinning package, but I was wondering if I can give one of my nights to my mother in law so she and my wife can have a nice meal together while my daughter and I go "slum" it in the main dining ?

This strikes me as the type of question where they will have to officially say no if asked in advance by phone, forum, or email so people don't find a way to abuse the system.  However, if asked on the ship during the cruise, they may bend the rules and let you do it.

I am not surprised at all...this is the way Royal is going...you pay for anything and everything extra....especially when it comes to food options.

No way they are going to lose out on $40 at that table by letting you split a meal.

On land I am sure someone with deep pockets and the right lawyer could make a case for some kinda discrimination or being unfairly discriminated against based on medical/health reasons....but not at sea.

That being said, there are lots of places to eat on board where you wont have to worry about that.....

9 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

This strikes me as the type of question where they will have to officially say no if asked in advance by phone, forum, or email so people don't find a way to abuse the system.  However, if asked on the ship during the cruise, they may bend the rules and let you do it.

Good point about the official answer.  I guess I can check it out on the ship or just win some brownie points and buy a meal package for my mother in law as well.