Diamond Photo Redemption Complexity

We are just completing our last day Explorer of the Seas and went to redeem our 2 free photos for being diamond.

RCI seem to have a knack of taking the simple and making it complex.

When we went to select and print our photos there was no hard copy print option. There was a pop up box that alluded to the free photos but it was not selectable and the only photo options were download and download to USB.

We spend a while trying to work out what we were doing wrong before giving up and speaking to one of the helpful staff.

As it turns out Explorer no longer offers printing of photos so what you have to do now is add the photo you want to your cart and purchase it for $19.99. You then download your photo to your device.

Once you have downloaded the photo you need to go and speak to one of the staff in the Photo Studio who will take down your room number and issue a refund to your seapass account at some point during the day.

It was all fine and the refund was issued by 9pm on the last night of the cruise,  but to me this seems like a time consuming process. I don’t want to be joining the queue at guest services on the last day of my holiday if the refund is not forthcoming.

Not a big issue but hopefully something they simplify again in the future.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

The free Diamond photo offer typically states "existing printed photograph selection".  Technically they don't have to extended it to any photo that isn't on the wall already printed.  

RCI discovers another way to limit the benefits .... if we dont print it they cant redeem it ?

Whenever we have used the photo viewing and ordering terminals, once the print(s) is selected and ordered, the system allows you to add your D "voucher". The value is then subtracted from the order and you collect from the desk once the selected image has been printed. I think it even gives you a pick up time.

It could just be Explorer as maybe the photo printer is not working at the moment.  I can see it would be a pain for older people if you couldn’t download the photos to a device, as you would need to buy a USB stick to get a copy.

The ship is nearing its refurbishment time and there are signs it is ready for it. We were a few hours late leaving Numea while they carried out some repairs on the ship. There are some more repairs scheduled next week when it’s back in Numea.

We are on Indepenence next in September so that’s when we will get to try it next.

22 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Not sure when they stopped printing photos on the ship. I just redeemed 2 [complimentary] photos with Santa on our Christmas +NY cruise on Grandeur last Dec.

It depends on the ship; some have moved to digital viewing of photos, which means only images that have been purchased will be printed, whereas others are still using the traditional method. We were on Grandeur in February and had the same experience as yourself i.e. the traditional method of print all pictures and display on the walls for selection. But Navigator, last September, used digital terminals.

2 hours ago, JohnUK said:

It depends on the ship; some have moved to digital viewing of photos, which means only images that have been purchased will be printed, whereas others are still using the traditional method. We were on Grandeur in February and had the same experience as yourself i.e. the traditional method of print all pictures and display on the walls for selection. But Navigator, last September, used digital terminals.

Explorer had digital terminals last time we were on her and we got our free photos printed on the ship. The photo shop crew member said that on this cruise there was no photo printing available at all, but it was not clear whether it was for this cruise only (due to a hardware issue) or a permanent change in policy. Maybe because it was the last day in this instance they just were not printing any photos.

I actually prefer digital copies so I was happy in the end, it just seemed odd you had to purchase and then be refunded. On the terminal previously when hard copies were available you had the option of redeeming your free offer on the screen.