Drink package

nrgMike

Hi.

If you get a drink package does everyone in the cabin have to get it? I'm going with my girlfriend in October just wondering because she does drink more than I do. Also, if separate people have the drink package wouldn't it be possible for her to get me a drink and than get another. Please advise.

Thanks,

The current rules are that everyone in the cabin must get the alcoholic beverage package if one person does. Exceptions are allowed in some specific cases, such as a person being unable to drink due to medications they're taking, or religious practices, or recovering alcoholic. If you have one of those cases, you have to call Royal directly and explain the situation, and then whoever doesn't get an alcohol (Deluxe) package will still have to get the Refreshment (non-alcoholic beverage) package.

It sounds from your comment like you both drink, so in your case you'll need to both get the Deluxe package. But be aware that it covers every kind of beverage on the ship, alcoholic and non-alcoholic. It's actually very easy to "break even" as long as you got the package for a decent sale price. Most of the time, getting a couple of specialty coffees, a couple bottles of water, and two or three cocktails or glasses of wine across the day is enough. And if you get a bottle of water with every alcoholic beverage you get, you'll also stay more than hydrated enough to avoid a hangover. ?

22 hours ago, JLMoran said:

The current rules are that everyone in the cabin must get the alcoholic beverage package if one person does. Exceptions are allowed in some specific cases, such as a person being unable to drink due to medications they're taking, or religious practices, or recovering alcoholic. If you have one of those cases, you have to call Royal directly and explain the situation, and then whoever doesn't get an alcohol (Deluxe) package will still have to get the Refreshment (non-alcoholic beverage) package.

It sounds from your comment like you both drink, so in your case you'll need to both get the Deluxe package. But be aware that it covers every kind of beverage on the ship, alcoholic and non-alcoholic. It's actually very easy to "break even" as long as you got the package for a decent sale price. Most of the time, getting a couple of specialty coffees, a couple bottles of water, and two or three cocktails or glasses of wine across the day is enough. And if you get a bottle of water with every alcoholic beverage you get, you'll also stay more than hydrated enough to avoid a hangover. ?

Do you know if you can just purchase the drink package for a day or two while on board? I don't think it's worth it for the entire cruise.

46 minutes ago, nrgMike said:

Do you know if you can just purchase the drink package for a day or two while on board? I don't think it's worth it for the entire cruise.

No, that is not an option. Generally the drink package is offered when you board and for some number of days after; buying after day one will get you a prorated price for only the remaining days of the trip. Around 1/3 to halfway through the trip, they'll stop offering it; possibly sooner if they meet whatever quotas they have for package sales.

If you would prefer to just have an option that could cover a couple of days, keep an eye out for the drink card instead of the drink package. It's a punch card that covers 10 drinks, and unlike the packages it can be shared with other passengers. It is not offered at the start of the cruise, and isn't guaranteed to be offered on every single cruise; no one really knows what drives when a given ship or itinerary will offer it, although it's likely that overall beverage sales on board to that point play a role.

If it's offered, it usually goes for around $79, and is best used for more-expensive drinks like cocktails or wine. If you mainly drink beer, you have some other options there; sometimes a 10-beer card will be offered at a lower price than the regular drink card, sometimes you'll get daily specials for buckets of beers. No way to predict those, though, so it will be a bit of a gamble.

I say this often, but I don't think about alcohol fatigue on a long cruise.  I would at least  by the refreshment package that is running at 20 pp/per day, the deluxe is running at 49.  Thus, really what we are talking about is a $29 difference.  That equates to 1 $12 cocktail during the day, a glass of wine at dinner and another at a show for me to not only break even, but also be ahead of the game.

That being said, I also make a call on this decision based on how port intensive the cruise is.  IE my cruise is 8 nights.  We are only stopping at Nassau, Bermuda and Coco Cay (Coco Cay the drink package works on the island).  Thus, it is only 2 ports where we will be on our own to purchase alcohol.  That means for us it is more cost beneficial to buy the package.  When we did Anthem 5 night NE/Canada, we had 3 ports, and 1 true day at sea, 2 if you include embarkation day (all aboard was 2 pm,  we got there @ noon) .  We purchased the package,  but we really didn't buy alcoholic drinks in port, maybe a beer/wine with lunch.  I think part of it was being busy doing touristy things, and part due to if I want to drink I can do it for free on the ship (can't say boat here unless you want @twangster to admonish you).  Now if your cruise is port intensive, than maybe buying the refreshment package is a better deal.  

Final reasons we buy the DBP

1. My husband is not a big drinker, but he finds it fun to try new drinks like the Lava Flow.  If he doesn't like it,  he pitches it and orders a new concoction.  I laugh bc this guy is a bourbon and coke guy, but on a cruise by the pool, everytime I look at him when he gets a drink it is something blended, and than he complains he now has a brain freeze.

2. We are huge fans of RCCL trivia.  They usually offer it a couple of times during the day/night.  On all of our cruises it usually is held in Schooners, sometimes it is held in another bar, but it still is a bar.  It lasts about 30 - 45 mins.  We get a drink there too.   Soooo if you buy only 1 beer during the day at the pool.  Hit Trivia either in the afternoon or evening and order a bourbon  & coke.  Go to late seating dinner and order a Malbec with your lamb shank.  All the while during the day you get your specialty coffee, fresh squeezed OJ in the a.m., and bottles of H20 since you have a refreshment package.  You are there.   

3. I don't believe in alcohol fatigue unless you go in with this idea you MUST drink 4 or 5 drinks per day due to the cost.   See my original point if you purchase the refreshment, than the difference is 29 bucks (got mine at 47).  Thus, for me it is close to 2 drinks and the rest is me getting non-alcoholic beverages.   In essence, 1 drink by the pool, 1 at dinner and I am only losing 3 bucks a night.  

4. Nothing like turning on your tv while you on your cruise to see your bill charges.  ?  I rather have it paid in full and not wait in line on the last night.  Old adage/joke how much is your time worth?  For me, even if I only spend $24 in alcoholic drinks, and when you tally it I am $3 per day in the hole,  (assuming refreshment only package) I would rather pay it all up front than rather wait in line at the customer service deck for 45-60 mins to pay my final bill.

Hope that helps in your decision making process

8 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

I have been looking around and I have not found the answer.  Where do I get the fresh squeezed juices?  Are the only in MDR or at the buffet? 

We've gotten it in Windjammer in the mornings.  There has been someone freshly squeezing it somewhere along the buffet line. 

16 minutes ago, JennyB said:

We've gotten it in Windjammer in the mornings.  There has been someone freshly squeezing it somewhere along the buffet line. 

Ok, I was on NCL Escape and I never saw that.  I didn't ask either.  The juice from the machine was good enough so didn't question it. Thought I would ask the pros so I know where to look next time.

Just now, DublinFC said:

Ok, I was on NCL Escape and I never saw that.  I didn't ask either.  The juice from the machine was good enough so didn't question it. Thought I would ask the pros so I know where to look next time.

To clarify, it was on Freedom OTS and Independence OTS...AND in the MDR for breakfast

1 hour ago, DublinFC said:

I would hazard a guess that it would be standard-ish line wide.  gives me a good idea where to start ?

In the MDR, be sure to tell the waiter that you want fresh-squeezed orange juice. If you just say orange juice, they'll bring the regular stuff made from concentrate. ?

In my case, when I wanted it in the Windjammer on Freedom one morning I was directed to go to the bar there, where the staff had the machine set up.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:29 PM, DublinFC said:

I would hazard a guess that it would be standard-ish line wide.  gives me a good idea where to start ?

I wouldn't count on it in the smaller ships. When I was on Enchantment in November, I was only able to get fresh squeezed OJ in the MDR. I asked in the WJ and was told they don't offer it there on that ship. But that fresh squeezed that I WAS able to get in the MDR? SUCH a difference! I sounded like an idiot when my only reaction to it was "it tastes like an orange!!!!!" ? Of course that  was my shorthand way of saying it tasted exactly like biting into a fresh orange, but looking back it was a silly thing to say.  

4 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

I wouldn't count on it in the smaller ships. When I was on Enchantment in November, I was only able to get fresh squeezed OJ in the MDR. I asked in the WJ and was told they don't offer it there on that ship. But that fresh squeezed that I WAS able to get in the MDR? SUCH a difference! I sounded like an idiot when my only reaction to it was "it tastes like an orange!!!!!" ? Of course that  was my shorthand way of saying it tasted exactly like biting into a fresh orange, but looking back it was a silly thing to say.  

"it tastes like an orange"  hahaha Well at least it was good!

1 minute ago, VinceC said:

I know with the Deluxe Drink Package everyone in the cabin must have that same but if only ordering the Refreshment Package can only one person get it?  

Yes.  Soda or Refreshment can be individual purchases.  Only the Deluxe (alcohol) package requires all over 21 in the cabin to buy it of any one does.