Have you seen "Mega Machines: Sea Giants" on Science channel?

rtread

Just caught this documentary on the Science Channel. Incredible how they turn around one of these cruise ships. This focused on Harmony and went through the whole process at Port Everglades. If you haven't seen it, worth a watch. It's scheduled again at 2:00 central if you want to record it.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:08 PM, rtread said:

Just caught this documentary on the Science Channel. Incredible how they turn around one of these cruise ships. This focused on Harmony and went through the whole process at Port Everglades. If you haven't seen it, worth a watch. It's scheduled again at 2:00 central if you want to record it.

Watching it now on DVR... awesome! Thanks again!

It also looks like it’s available to stream through the Science Channel website, Amazon Prime, etc... original air date was 10/18/18.

Love the behind the scenes look at the turnaround process and the technology that went into building these RC ships. I like the I-95 reference to the service corridor that runs the length of the ship... similar to Disney World’s "underground" network of tunnels! Talks about the scrubbers and how they filter the exhaust, how they turn the heat generated by the engines into additional electricity, and the thin layer of bubbles (generated by an air compressor) the ship actually sails on between the hull and the water surface.

Interesting to think about (maybe just to me!)... they point out that a 10 second delay to board each passenger (full capacity) equates to an 18 hour delay! Science behind everything... time and motion studies go into everything! They have machines that fold the bed sheets after laundering so crew members don’t have to waste time folding!

10 hours to do everything from the time they dock at 6:00 AM!

Highly recommended watch! Can’t wait until our cruise!

Wow, never thought about it... Port Everglades is the largest cruise port in the world (passengers) and Port Canaveral and Miami are 2 and 3 in the world!

I've watched it twice, will probably watch again as it gets closer to cruise time.  I was really impressed with the engineering end of it....but it was all very interesting!

It's funny, my wife and I were just talking about how they turn around one of the larger cruise ships. I had no idea, but of course I went into this long account of how they had to take on stores, fuel, etc. at the various foreign ports they stopped at....just had to because there was no way they could do all that in a 8 or 9 hour turnaround at the home port. Well, the other evening she alerted me this documentary was about to come on on the Science Channel so I went in and watched it with her. My narrative was totally wrong! Lol she let me know about it too.

One thing it did was make me appreciate more that the hard earned money I was spending on a cruise was really a bargain considering all that goes into making it happen. Incredible stuff!

We have seen those shows. It is amazing the turnaround of any ship for that matter.  To say they work their  butts off is an understatement.  We get to the pier by 10-10:30 and are in awe at the process going on in regards to turnaround.  It is well orchestrated.  

2 hours ago, Hoski said:

Thank you for bringing this up you created a family moment for us.  We streamed it and watched it together last night.  We've seen similar shows before but enjoyed doing this as a family.

You are very welcome. Family moments are special. Our kids are not at home now but my wife and I enjoyed watching it and were absolutely amazed with what goes on behind the scenes.

Tangentially related, and probably discussed on here somewhere before (it's a few years old, as best I can tell), Netflix has a show called Mega Food with an episode about an Oasis class ship (maybe Oasis? can't remember). It covers food service from before boarding through disembarkation, which is an amazing undertaking.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:08 PM, rtread said:

Loved it. Watched twice, yesterday!

7 hours ago, joshvc said:

Tangentially related, and probably discussed on here somewhere before (it's a few years old, as best I can tell), Netflix has a show called Mega Food with an episode about an Oasis class ship (maybe Oasis? can't remember). It covers food service from before boarding through disembarkation, which is an amazing undertaking.

I just found it.  It is season 1 episode 6.  I'm going to watch it shortly.

9 hours ago, joshvc said:

2 hours ago, Hoski said:

I just found it.  It is season 1 episode 6.  I'm going to watch it shortly.

We just watched it too! The scope is just amazing! My mouth was salivating when they were planning and cooking the lobster tails!