Facebook Messenger for the WIN...AGAIN!

Yesterday I shared on my Live Blog post how I was able to get my Inside Balcony Room "perks" switched to the Boardwalk perks (vs. Central Park perks) using Facebook Messenger. If you don't already know, Royal Caribbean's Facebook team is GREAT, very responsive, and apparently very helpful in making special accommodations or fulfilling special requests via Facebook Messenger!

Well... the Midwest including MSP airport (Minneapolis) is expected to get hit hard by winter storms this weekend starting Saturday morning/afternoon. Our flight was 1 pm Saturday, which is projected to be the time where things were getting heavy, so of course I start worrying about missing our cruise (even though we are on the Sunday, Allure of the Seas sailing...you never know how bad the weather delays can be). I started freaking out this morning and calling the airlines to see what could be done. Since we booked basic economy, we didn't have the option to change flights. The Customer Service agent on the phone said if there was a winter advisory (or what he called a "bulletin") they might be able to change us to an earlier flight. When I got to work, I started Facebook Messaging with Delta. Still no advisory/bulletin but the Facebook agent hinted that it may be coming. He messaged me back as soon as the advisory posted to let me know he could assist me in changing my flights. All through Facebook Messenger, I was able to get my party of 4 re-booked to the 8:45 am flight with no fees,  AND he was able to get me and my daughter seats together and us all together on our flights home. I can't say enough GREAT things about the customer service I received today as well as all of the times Royal has been able to serve me via Facebook Messenger. 

Now, hopefully the weather patterns don't shift too much and we will be able to fly safely in the morning on Saturday! Good luck to all of the Midwest travelers this weekend, stay safe and hope no big delays for your trip! 

I too have had great experiences communicating with Royal through FB messenger.  Never tried Delta before.  We're flying out on Saturday too but from Detroit.  Earlier this week, I was slightly nervous because it showed quite a bit of snow for Saturday.  Then the snow moved to Saturday night.  Now, as of half an hour ago when I checked, it looks like rain.  The weather in Fort Lauderdale though looks awesome!

10 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

@MorganMichelle2001  - the weather is just beginning to feel like severe harrassment at this point, doesn't it? We need a restraining order!  Glad you got your flight moved and have an incredible cruise!

We live on a cul-de-sac and the "snow mountain" (as the kids call it) where they pile the snow when plowing is as high as I've ever seen it! We should rename this year's Snow Mountain, Snow Everest, and send the kids up with oxygen tanks!

1 minute ago, MorganMichelle2001 said:

We live on a cul-de-sac and the "snow mountain" (as the kids call it) where they pile the snow when plowing is as high as I've ever seen it! We should rename this year's Snow Mountain, Snow Everest, and send the kids up with oxygen tanks!

Yep, we do too, exactly same situation except we don't have kids and everyone else's kids play in our yard (which doesn't bother us at all, more power to them - at least someone is taking advantage and enjoying it! Even our Borzoi (aka Russian Wolfhounds), who LOVE snow, are clearly getting a little weary of it.

I booked my first cruise last Monday for next December.  I will be flying out of Omaha and snow is one of my biggest fear.  I haven't flown that much so don't know how moving flights around works.  I was planning to fly to Miami the day before, Saturday.  Would it be a good idea to fly in on Friday? That way I could move it to Saturday if needed.  I'm going alone and wouldn't mind spending another day in some nice weather.

9 hours ago, griswold81 said:

I booked my first cruise last Monday for next December.  I will be flying out of Omaha and snow is one of my biggest fear.  I haven't flown that much so don't know how moving flights around works.  I was planning to fly to Miami the day before, Saturday.  Would it be a good idea to fly in on Friday? That way I could move it to Saturday if needed.  I'm going alone and wouldn't mind spending another day in some nice weather.

I travel solo too and I'm still fairly new to cruising. I would definitely fly in that extra day early if you can manage it. Like you say... an extra day in the sun will be nice and if there is any bad weather you have an extra day to sort things out. 

19 hours ago, griswold81 said:

Would it be a good idea to fly in on Friday? That way I could move it to Saturday if needed.  I'm going alone and wouldn't mind spending another day in some nice weather.

Based on my experience this week, I say for snowy areas in high snow season, give yourself 2 days if you can, or book the earliest flight the morning before your cruise. I was so stressed out worrying about missing the cruise even though we fly out the day before. It’s not worth it! If you can get there safety with plenty of time to spare, it’s worth spending extra $$ for an extra night in a hotel and save yourself the worry! 

2 minutes ago, MorganMichelle2001 said:

Based on my experience this week, I say for snowy areas in high snow season, give yourself 2 days if you can, or book the earliest flight the morning before your cruise. I was so stressed out worrying about missing the cruise even though we fly out the day before. It’s not worth it! If you can get there safety with plenty of time to spare, it’s worth spending extra $$ for an extra night in a hotel and save yourself the worry! 

+1...I fully agree with MM2001...We live in northern NY state where 6" snows are a "nuisance" weather event but can still mess up the best plans. We are leaving 4 days early. Not only to make sure we don't miss the ship but we can get together with family and friends that live in Florida and to do some of the things we love about Florida (yes, yes we are Disney addicts). Flying into Orlando, renting a car, and doing the slow crawl to Miami.

On 3/8/2019 at 4:24 PM, MorganMichelle2001 said:

With 30+ cruise experience we always fly in a day before the cruise just in case there are problems with flights and luggage.