Canada/New England Cruise

steviet2009

Hi. I will be doing a Canada/New England cruise roundtrip out of Boston. We are stopping in Portland, Bar Harbor, St. Johns, and Halifax. We have booked a few excursions in these locations, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to do, or places to eat while we are in port.

I work right across the water from the cruise ship dock in Portland.

Portland is a small city that is easily negotiated by walking.  I'm not sure what kind of excursions Royal offers, but I'm guessing that among the offerings there will be trips to lighthouses and the LL Bean/outlet store shopping area in Freeport, Maine.  

Portland has become known as a city for foodies, and there are a lot of microbreweries as well.   Plenty of places to get good food no matter what your tastes are.  Seafood won't get much fresher than right there on the water front.  Many of the restaurant have had national exposure on places such as the Food Network.

Uber and Lyft rates are very reasonable, and traffic isn't bad compared to other cities in the Northeast.  It's a safe city to walk around in though, and there are too many restaurants to list within a 10 minute walk.  There's a narrow gauge railroad that goes along the water very close to the port, and many, many shops close by as well.

What time of year are you going?  Summer will be more crowded than post Labor Day, but what we think of as crowded really isn't bad compared to most other cities.

That's a nice time of year up here. Fall is my favorite time.  

Temperatures vary,  but 50s-60s is average.  

If you want, shoot me an email when it's closer to your cruise and I'll tell you what kind of weather pattern we're in as well as what's currently going on in the downtown area.  

I"m not sure if my email shows in my profile here.  If not, let me know, and I'll post it.