Another Drink Question

tx2tn

We (2 adults) are <2 weeks from our Oasis of the Seas Cruise. We have never cruised before. We do not understand what drinks are provided (if any) and which ones have to be paid for onboard.

Do the meals in the Main Dining Room come with drinks? Or just water?

What about specialty Dining? Are drinks of any kind provided?

We drink alcohol but not enough to justify $60+ per person per day. At least I don't think so. Am I correct in saying that both people in the Stateroom have to buy the same Drink Package?

Do you guys have a certain drink package that you really like and think that its a good value?

Is there a master list of what drinks each package contains? I would be especially interested to know which beers are included in the alcohol packages and which ones are not. I'm a bit of a beer snob.......;)

Thanks for any and all help!!

Chuck

1. Tap water, lemonade, milk and coffee and tea (hot or cold) are all complementary anywhere on the ship. It might be difficult to get milk anywhere except for the dining spaces but I'm sure they would find it for you if you want it elsewhere. This goes for complementary or specialty dining. Alcohol of any kind and/or soft drinks all cost additional money. The only exception for specialty dining are the dining packages that specifically include wine and they make those very obvious so you will know which ones they are.

2. You are INcorrect about the alcohol packages. Both adults in a cabin do NOT have to purchase any package. If one person wants a beverage package and the other does not, then only 1 can purchase...but be warned, there is absolutely NO sharing allowed and they are very strict about it.

3. Can't help you on which package is best. Neither of us has ever purchased a drinks package. It is my understanding that the ultimate package is basically a combination of the premium and royal replenish (soda and water) packages. In general, the ultimate covers everything, the premium is wine and beer and the royal replenish is soda and water. There are some specific restrictions, but as an overall summary, this is probably good enough. Not sure which beers are covered in the premium package but I believe that most imports are covered. I could be wrong about this one. I'm not a beer drinker.

Matt has posted some very good overviews and details about the different beverage packages on the blog. Just do a search for beverage package.

Milk is easy to come by. You can of course get it from room service, order it at the restaraunts, or ask at the beverage station in the Wibdjammer and they'll bring cartons to you. At breakfast, they're out to grab; during other meals, just ask.

Keep in mind on the 60/day package that you have pretty much any and all drinks covered. As such make sure to factor in soda and other covered non alcoholic drinks when deciding if it is right or not for you.

Personally I drink 1-2 a night on vacation. It fits me more to buy a la carte. If I can find that awesome flavored water anytime that they have in the Windjammer at lunch I may have to reconsider any package though. Seriously that stuff was pretty tasty :P .

In any event the soda package at a minimum really isnt a bad idea just for the water part. Stock up over the day and take with you off the ship for a way cheaper alternative to buying highly overpriced tourist water.

In regards to the unlimited alcohol packages, try this link for some posts all about them: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/category/category/unlimited-alcohol-packages

If your first inclination is they are too much for you to drink without drinking for the sake of drinks, do not feel bad about paying cash for your drinks.  I do it all the time and it has always been more economically feasible for me to pay a la carte.

I have not been able to find a clear answer on my searches for which juices are available from room service and hope y'all can help! There are many conflicting answers. :-( I particularly am looking to see if grapefruit, tomato, and cranberry are offered from room service on the freedom of the seas as that is what I prefer to drink. on previous cruises I will order several each at breakfast to keep in the fridge to drink all day. Thanks for your help!

I'm with Matt on this. I got the package once, and that was it for me. Never again. I definitely found myself drinking just to get my money's worth. As far as soft drinks go, personally I cannot imagine paying for soda when iced tea is free. I know it isn't a lot, and I like the occasional Coke, but just in principle, if iced tea is free,,,,,,,,

I could never justify any of the alcohol packages, either. I've done the Royal Replenish package on the last two cruises and I got some value out of it, but mainly by hoarding bottles of water for port days. Otherwise, I pretty much broke even most days which isn't hard if you have a specialty coffee or two along with a virgin cocktail, a couple bottles of water, and a soda.

I bought the Premium package for my 4-night cruise on Brilliance but it's more of "research" for the blog (I swear, it's work!) and we also do not have our kids with us on that sailing.  I'll report back my experience when I get back.

Don't forget to try some drinks you normally wouldn't, I think that will be the big benefit of the package.

You could even man-up and drink some Caesars instead of those Bloody Mary's :).

Don't forget to try some drinks you normally wouldn't, I think that will be the big benefit of the package.

You could even man-up and drink some Caesars instead of those Bloody Mary's :).

Ha! I will be trying my best to get my moneys worth.  And I am trying to be as objective as I can be but I suspect I will be drinking for drinking sake.  But we shall see!

This was the final thing that helped me to take my very first cruise after years of thinking about trying cruising, was once the drink packages came along. Prior to that, I only did AI's down south and liked the idea of all I can drink, not worrying about a huge bill at the end and also getting to try new drinks.

Now of course since I have started cruising, there are many many other things I enjoy about it obviously!

But having the option for a drink package is very important to me(within a reasonable cost of course)

I have never ever felt that I "had" to drink my money's worth....if anything, I am grateful for the package each day as exceeding $50/day in drinks isn't hard when most of the drinks I enjoy are around $10 on average!

The 4 day cruise only has one stop prob in Cozumel..so with "3 sea days" you may find you drink more than you planned. I know I did on my last 4 day cruise on Brilliance!

Thanks for all the great info.

Do you have to buy the package for every day of you cruise or can you start it, say on the second or third day of the cruise.

We are really leaning to buying one of the liquor packages but not sure which one because we don't really know the difference between the packages. Is there any place online that will have a list of which beverages are included in each of the three alcohol packages? Like is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale included in the Premium Package or just the Utimate. surely there is a list somewhere.

Thanks again for your all your help!!!

Chuck

We are really leaning to buying one of the liquor packages but not sure which one because we don't really know the difference between the packages. Is there any place online that will have a list of which beverages are included in each of the three alcohol packages? Like is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale included in the Premium Package or just the Utimate. surely there is a list somewhere.

Here are 3 posts breaking down each package:

Select: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/08/10/depth-look-royal-caribbeans-select-drink-package

Premium: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/10/19/depth-look-royal-caribbeans-premium-drink-package

Ultimate: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/07/01/depth-look-royal-caribbeans-ultimate-drink-package

Essentially, Select package is beer and wine only. Premium gets you beer, wine and mixed drinks (cocktails).  Ultimate is just a combination of Premium package and the Royal Replenish package.

Hey there. I am interested and will probably get the Premium drink package on our cruise coming up in 18 days. Question: If I order something that is more than $12.00, will they charge me for the whole drink on top of my package or will RCI give me a credit of $12.00 toward that drink?

Hey there. I am interested and will probably get the Premium drink package on our cruise coming up in 18 days. Question: If I order something that is more than $12.00, will they charge me for the whole drink on top of my package or will RCI give me a credit of $12.00 toward that drink?

Yes, that is correct. A $17 drink under the drink package will cost an additional $5.

I think we have decided to purchase the Premium package for me and no package for my wife. She does not drink very much alcohol so an alcohol package does not make much sense for her. She doesn't drink sodas either so no plan is the way to go for her. Thanks for all the feed back. Chuck