Luggage

Be happy to turn over bags to the porters, give them a tip and they will get your luggage on board. Nothing worse that dragging luggage around until you can get to your room. Nice to keep a few essentials to tide you over until the luggage gets delivered. Things like a swimsuit, essential medications and sunscreen are nice to carry on with you.

17 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

anything that cannot go through a standard sized x-ray machine will not be allowed.

To my great surprise, on our recent Anthem cruises, they ran ALL of our bags through the regular scanner.  I was SHOCKED when I saw those big bags go through.  I had no idea they would fit....but they did...just barely !   ....but generally, no...they will not allow you to bring your big bags onto the ship yourself.

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

To my great surprise, on our recent Anthem cruises, they ran ALL of our bags through the regular scanner.  I was SHOCKED when I saw those big bags go through.  I had no idea they would fit....but they did...just barely !   ....but generally, no...they will not allow you to bring your big bags onto the ship yourself.

They did that on your Star Class cruises? BTW, how was 2 weeks with a Genie?

Don't bring them..it sucks pulling those bags around for hours on the ship....crowded areas, taking up space in the windjammer or around the pool deck..

Bring a little carry on for whatever you need till you can get to your room..and then come join me as I sit and laugh at those struggling or sweating to drag their suitcases around the ship for hours....:4_joy:

Just now, tiny260 said:

They did that on your Star Class cruises? BTW, how was 2 weeks with a Genie?

Yes....I had made a special request of our Genie to keep our bags with us (based on some bad embarkation day experiences in SC previously) so she had them scan the bags right along with our carry-ons !  I had no idea they could even do that !  She had a porter bring everything with us as we went through security and check-in (actually, there WAS NO check-in...she already had our Sea Pass cards for us) all the way through to the bedroom upstairs.  It was the most wonderful check-in ever !

The B2B SC was unbelievable.  I am still planning on writing a short summary but haven't gotten around to it since I've been so busy since getting back.  When you take 16 days off while still working there is payback.  Boy, is there....

We loved it so much that we are doing the same exact itineraries next February.  Dan LOVED Anthem.  I still prefer the O class but he really enjoyed Anthem. It may have had something to do with the fact that he was on B2B Star Class cruises...not really sure.  LOL

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes....I had made a special request of our Genie to keep our bags with us (based on some bad embarkation day experiences in SC previously) so she had them scan the bags right along with our carry-ons !  I had no idea they could even do that !  She had a porter bring everything with us as we went through security and check-in (actually, there WAS NO check-in...she already had our Sea Pass cards for us) all the way through to the bedroom upstairs.  It was the most wonderful check-in ever !

The B2B SC was unbelievable.  I am still planning on writing a short summary but haven't gotten around to it since I've been so busy since getting back.  When you take 16 days off while still working there is payback.  Boy, is there....

We loved it so much that we are doing the same exact itineraries next February.  Dan LOVED Anthem.  I still prefer the O class but he really enjoyed Anthem. It may have had something to do with the fact that he was on B2B Star Class cruises...not really sure.  LOL

Don't want to high jack this thread, but look forward to your write up.

I agree on the 16 days off, we have a 14 day scheduled on Anthem in 2020 (Not SC, Grand Suite) when she starts going out of Southampton, I'm already stressing over that, the longest I've ever taken off was an 11 day going through the Panama Canal many years ago.

We are going to get a taste of Anthem on the 9 night GC in July, so hopefully that will give us a look at what the 14 day will be like. I asked her the other day, what if we didn't like Anthem what would we do about the 14 day cruise? So, we made provision just in case.

23 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Don't bring them..it sucks pulling those bags around for hours on the ship....crowded areas, taking up space in the windjammer or around the pool deck..

Bring a little carry on for whatever you need till you can get to your room..and then come join me as I sit and laugh at those struggling or sweating to drag their suitcases around the ship for hours....:4_joy:

Add one more vote for this one, I could not agree more.  I will be honest and I really do not want to carry more onboard than a simple book bag.  We get there as early as possible and enjoy the ship on that first day.  That means that we are all over the ship an toting bags around hampers your experience far more than you think at the moment.  I took a carry on for two cruises and that was enough for me to never do it again unless I have to.  Trying to get in and out of eating establishments, on and off the elevators, through the crowds, just please do yourself a favor and check them in with the porters curbside.  

12 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I asked her the other day, what if we didn't like Anthem what would we do about the 14 day cruise?

Interesting.  I had the same concern.  I wasn't even sure I would like the Q class but we both really did.  I completely concur with comments that I have read in the past about the Esplanade/Via areas being bottlenecks to big crowds but that wasn't such a big deal.  The Anthem is SO different from any other ship we have been on that we really, really enjoyed it.  Dan particularly loved 270 and the Music Hall.  We did not even miss the Aqua Theater but we did sort of miss Central Park.  Not all that fond of the Coastal Kitchen setup on Anthem (missed the beautiful views of the CK on the O class) but we aren't huge CK fans to begin with.  We ate breakfast there a few times and a couple of dinners.  1 lunch.

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Dan particularly loved 270 and the Music Hall. 

Told my wife the other night how much you guys said you liked the Music Hall (In another thread) and told her we would have to check it out, it depends on how much stuff @Matt has planned on the GC...