Combination drink/internet packages

JerseyJoe

This is our first time cruising with our family. We just booked on the Navigator in April. I am looking at all the pre-paid options and am curious about one thing. I tried doing a search but didn't find my answer, please forgive me if this has been discussed before.

They offer internet on one device for $15 per day. 

They offer 3 levels of beverage packages: the Deluxe Beverage Package, the Refreshment Package, and the Classic Soda Package.

I realize that the prices vary by ship and cruise, but here are the current offers on my particular cruise:

Deluxe Beverage Package: $49

Deluxe Beverage Package with Internet: $62 (meaning Internet is discounted to $13 per day)

Refreshment Package: $26

Refreshment Package with Internet: not offered?

Classic Soda Package: $9.99

Classic Soda Package with Internet: $21 (meaning Internet is discounted to $12 per day.

My question is this: why is there no bundle offered for the Refreshment Package with the internet? The Refreshment Package is the one we are interested in purchasing, and are wondering why there is no discounted internet offered as a bundle with this package?

Also, a side question: this is a 5 night cruise, but spans 6 days including embarkation and debarkation. If they charge for something per day, will we be charged for 5 days or for 6? And does it make sense to pay for days that we will be off the boat most of the day?

Sorry for all the questions, hope someone will be able to help with some or all of them.

3 minutes ago, Joe Stahl said:

why is there no bundle offered for the Refreshment Package with the internet? The Refreshment Package is the one we are interested in purchasing, and are wondering why there is no discounted internet offered as a bundle with this package?

The short answer is, nobody knows. 

The long answer is, the decision to bundle or not to bundle I'm sure has to do with primarily the best way the cruise line sees to sell (and profit) from the offerings.  If it makes you feel any better, the combo deals don't save a ton of money. In fact, many times it's been cheaper to buy the drink package and Voom separately.

4 minutes ago, Joe Stahl said:

Also, a side question: this is a 5 night cruise, but spans 6 days including embarkation and debarkation. If they charge for something per day, will we be charged for 5 days or for 6? And does it make sense to pay for days that we will be off the boat most of the day?

First, the price is per night, not per day. So it encompasses whenever you are onboard, including embarkation and disembarkation day.

Thanks for the answers. I think we're going to try to limit the internet use as much as possible on this trip, but my son is worried he may have homework over the spring break so we may need to at least purchase it for him. We'll probably make the internet a last minute decision, and go for the refreshments package alone.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

The short answer is, nobody knows. 

The long answer is, the decision to bundle or not to bundle I'm sure has to do with primarily the best way the cruise line sees to sell (and profit) from the offerings.  If it makes you feel any better, the combo deals don't save a ton of money. In fact, many times it's been cheaper to buy the drink package and Voom separately.

First, the price is per night, not per day. So it encompasses whenever you are onboard, including embarkation and disembarkation day.

6 hours ago, Joe Stahl said:

And does it make sense to pay for days that we will be off the boat most of the day?

This part you have to really pay attention to if you were planning on buying the Deluxe Drink package, because at $49 per night that can add up. So maybe it would be better to just pay for the drinks and not the package.

I don't drink, so I always get the refreshment package no matter what.

6 hours ago, Joe Stahl said:

And does it make sense to pay for days that we will be off the boat most of the day?

I have found that if you get the refreshment package on sale ($18-20 is a good sale price depending on ship) then it is very easy to get your money's worth whether or not it's a port day. This is especially true if you will be getting mocktails or non-alcoholic frozen beverages as those add up rather quickly. Also, don't forget that bottled water is included with the package! I also grab a bottle of water from the bar for every drink I order. I'll bring the extra bottles back to the room to use for excursions or just drinking at night in the room. 

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

This part you have to really pay attention to if you were planning on buying the Deluxe Drink package, because at $49 per night that can add up. So maybe it would be better to just pay for the drinks and not the package.

I don't drink, so I always get the refreshment package no matter what.

Yeah, out of our party of 6, my wife is the only one who might have one or 2 drinks in a day (but probably not every day). I don't drink at all, and the rest are not of drinking age. We will get the Refreshment Package and pay for her occasional drink when she wants one.

18 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

I have found that if you get the refreshment package on sale ($18-20 is a good sale price depending on ship) then it is very easy to get your money's worth whether or not it's a port day. This is especially true if you will be getting mocktails or non-alcoholic frozen beverages as those add up rather quickly. Also, don't forget that bottled water is included with the package! I also grab a bottle of water from the bar for every drink I order. I'll bring the extra bottles back to the room to use for excursions or just drinking at night in the room. 

Do they go on sale often? Are the chances good that it will be less than the current $26 sometime between now and April 21? 

Great suggestion for the bottled water, they don't give a problem ordering a drink and a bottle of water at the same time?

6 minutes ago, Joe Stahl said:

Do they go on sale often? Are the chances good that it will be less than the current $26 sometime between now and April 21? 

Great suggestion for the bottled water, they don't give a problem ordering a drink and a bottle of water at the same time?

Scratch that question - I just looked, and it has gone down to $20 from yesterday to today. Guess I'd better jump on it.

12 minutes ago, Joe Stahl said:

Scratch that question - I just looked, and it has gone down to $20 from yesterday to today. Guess I'd better jump on it.

Yep, they might go cheaper if they have a Labor day sale, but that is to late for you.

@spiralqueen is right, I always ask for 2 bottles of water at a time, and no they don't have a problem giving both at the same time.

16 hours ago, Joe Stahl said:

Yup.  They'll randomly drop for no apparent reason at all.  Check OFTEN.  You were also talking about getting Internet, I'd just go ahead and book it.  You can always drop it at the last minute if you decide you don't want it.  $14.99/day is the usual price, but I've nabbed it for as low as $11 & change during an unannounced sale.  We usually only get 1 device and take turns.

17 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

Yup.  They'll randomly drop for no apparent reason at all.  Check OFTEN.  You were also talking about getting Internet, I'd just go ahead and book it.  You can always drop it at the last minute if you decide you don't want it.  $14.99/day is the usual price, but I've nabbed it for as low as $11 & change during an unannounced sale.  We usually only get 1 device and take turns.

When they say '1 device', does that mean at a time, or it will only work on one dedicated device? In other words, can you be logged in on one device, log out, then log in on another?

18 minutes ago, Joe Stahl said:

When they say '1 device', does that mean at a time, or it will only work on one dedicated device? In other words, can you be logged in on one device, log out, then log in on another?

One device at a time. You will get a code that can be entered into as many devices as you want, as long as you log off of the other ones before you use it. I believe Royal uses logoff.com as an easy way to make sure you terminate a connection to free up that code to use on another device. 

35 minutes ago, Joe Stahl said:

One device at a time, but you can switch devices by logging one off and logging the other on.  You'll get a code to enter when you connect to the wifi, and when you want to switch, just go to "logoff.com" and it'll log you out so you can connect a different device.

EDIT: @spiralqueen beat me to it! ?