RoyalUp Question

Hi everyone. My wife was sent an RoyalUp offer for our upcoming May cruise. Although I didn’t receive one even though we’re in the same cabin, I had a question I’d appreciate help on. We love our current room selection (Deck 12 Ocean view balcony) but are considering submitting a bid for a junior suite. If the bid is accepted, do we get to pick which junior suite we want? The concern is that we’ll win the bid and then be put into a suite in a less desirable location. Thank you!

37 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

do we get to pick which junior suite we want? 

No, they will assign you a new cabin and you cannot change it once the upgrade is completed.  That is one of the trade-offs for a lower upgrade.  They get to put you in a cabin that has not sold yet.

They will pick the room for you. Granted, if there was another Junior Suite available in the same category code as yours, you could switch to it, but odds are that will not happen. Heck, odds there are actually rooms to upgrade to with RoyalUp are also quite low.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

They will pick the room for you. Granted, if there was another Junior Suite available in the same category code as yours, you could switch to it, but odds are that will not happen. Heck, odds there are actually rooms to upgrade to with RoyalUp are also quite low.

That's good to know, Matt.  It was my understanding that once they had assigned you a room they would NOT make any changes for you.  Good to know that they can....

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That's good to know, Matt.  It was my understanding that once they had assigned you a room they would NOT make any changes for you.  Good to know that they can....

The thing is on a lot of these offers, and responses back that the offer has been accepted, the acceptance is happening very close to the cruise date, so from a time perspective there may not be a lot of time to negotiate.

I know I received my email that they didn't accept the offer 24 hours before my cruise, I was walking between gates at DFW when I read it.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We're not in a Junior Suite right now which is why I'm even considering it (we're in a regular Ocean View Balcony on Deck 12). From what I can tell, 3 of the 4 remaining Junior Suites available for our sail date would be acceptable to us (higher deck away from a possible noise area). 

If we bid the minimum ($200/person) does anyone have any idea if we have a chance it will be accepted? I'm a bit of a control freak and don't like the idea of not hearing anything until 24hrs before we depart. I suppose i could always cancel it if we haven't heard anything and it's a week away though. 

I made the mistake of watching a youtube video of the Junior suite and the extra space is incredibly appealing...

If you wouldnt be willing to accept one of those 4 remaining JS, then I'd honestly go in with the expectation that you'd receive the least attractive one to you.  You might get lucky and get the best one of the 4 remaining but if there's one that's a definite NO to you, no at any price despite the extra space, then I wouldnt try for the RoyalUp.  Because what happens is if there is more of a demand for your ocean view balcony, they may try to entice you into the least desirable JS in order to make space in the balconies.  Or if this isnt the case, they may wait until the 24 hours in advance and if the JS doesnt sell out, then the person who bids the most on the JS would receive it.  

It really comes down to supply and demand on these.  If the supply on the JS is just too great, your chances are higher.  But consider that your ship has a bunch of outside balcony cabins, and only 4 junior suites left.  And they're sending upgrade emails to everyone trying to entice the upgrade.  Your chance on the upgrade at 200pp is rather slim.  Not saying it couldnt happen, but at the bare minimum, its very unlikely.  Plus its also possible that for your sailing, they're running out of outside balcony cabins and are attempting to entice people into the upgrade because their supply of the one you're in might net them more money than the cost of the JS.  

If you're in love with the cabin you've selected already, there's also that to factor in.  You have a good idea you'll like the current one.  There's the gamble out there that one you dont like is the one that you'd be assigned, and you'd be paying more money for a cabin you dont like.  

Assuming Oasis Class Ship you have booked.

I have recently benefited from a RoyalUp - JS Guaranteed  to a GS on the Allure.  I looked at all JS and GS locations and would be happy with any of them.  Generally, the JS primary benefits are double cruise points and more space. 

But the RoyalUp from a Balcony to JS benefit is only space (Sea Class Perks:  Dinner at Coastal Kitchen*, Royal Caribbean Classic Bathrobes for Use Onboard, Luxury Pillow Top Mattress, and Luxury Bathroom Amenities by L’Occitane).  Big question for you,  What is the extra space worth to you?  I enjoy the extra space and would put a bid in, minimum or a bit higher.  

No matter, you are cruising and life is good.

I think it’s very difficult to determine which suites are available for RoyalUp by looking at which suites haven’t been booked. As the bids are awarded, some passengers in the cabin type you’re bidding on may win their bids to higher categories, thus opening up the suites they had originally booked.

By the way, although I have 53 cruises under my belt...I’m brand spanking new here. I love the info on this blog...