Kids 11 and 13

So, my kids will be 13 and 11 years old when we board the Navigator on Memorial Day.  One is eligible for Adventure Ocean while the other is not.  If the kids want to spend time together, they would have to do so away from Adventure Ocean and the Teen thing, correct?  I'm not sure they want to venture off into those two settings by themselves and I don't think RCCL will allow them to be there together.  Any suggestions?

3 minutes ago, AubieKermit said:

If the kids want to spend time together, they would have to do so away from Adventure Ocean and the Teen thing, correct?

Correct. The cut off age for Teen club is 12. You certainly could inquire if one of them could move up or down, but I doubt it would be allowed.

14 minutes ago, AubieKermit said:

So, would you say the only chance for my wife and I to have alone time is to see if the kids will consider going to the separate places by themselves?  My 13 year old will have only been 13 by about 3 weeks by the time we get on the ship.  It can't hurt to ask.

We have had my older daughter go with a group younger than hers in the past. Her sister and cousin were in the 6-8 group and she just turned 9 so they let her. I think it depends on how many kids are on the ship. 

This likely will be our situation too. ?  11 and 13 yr olds.  I want to know they have areas they can hang out together.  It would be amazing if the 11 yr old could do the teen rooms.  (Glad to hear it’s worked for some with a waiver) But are their other good, safe areas they can hang out, if not?  My husband and I want some non-kid time but really feel better if they can be together. 

1 hour ago, AubieKermit said:

So, would you say the only chance for my wife and I to have alone time is to see if the kids will consider going to the separate places by themselves?  My 13 year old will have only been 13 by about 3 weeks by the time we get on the ship.  It can't hurt to ask.

I'd say there is a 100% chance of alone time if the kids go to their separate areas.  I have two kids too, and while they enjoy playing together, I think both of your kids will have a great time with other kids  too. 

While the 11 yo may be allowed in the teen club, they may not.  Typically the teen club is strict on ages during school breaks when there is a high number of kids onboard.  We will be sailing on Memorial Day for the first time this year but I wouldn't be surprised to see a larger than average number of kids and see stricter AO rules.   I doubt they would allow your 13 yo to move down into Voyagers as the teen club starts at age 12.

AO is really geared and divided into appropriate age groups. I really suggest they go to their proper clubs the first night and try them out.  While there is the potential that the 11 yo could go into the teen club, any potential new friends your 13 yo could meet probably won't want to also hang out with the 11 yo.  The first night during the teen club is the meet and greet and the teens tend to group themselves according to gender and age (at least the younger teens).  While the teen club does have activities, many teens use it as a meet up place for their new friends and then wander the ship in their new pack.  Your 11 yo can be a self signer as a Voyager and sign in and out as they desire.

As far as safe places if you don't want them to try AO,  there are evening poolside movies, the shows, walking the promenade and the arcade.  There are several activities and you can walk the ship and decide what you feel comfortable with the first night.

So I'm going to suggest you have them try to go their individual ways.  My middle daughter is not one to put herself out there or reach out to make friends but she LOVED the teen club on the Navigator.  She made so many friends and I never had to worry about her because she was in a group.  I don't think they would let the 11 year old in the teen club.  If the kids were outside of the teen club hanging out your 11 year old might be able to join them but the older kids might not be happy about that.  I recommend you let them try to make friends in their own age group.