Travel agent

+1 for Michelle.  If she puts up with me, she MUST have the patience of Job.  I am such an airhead.  I had her book a cruise for me while I was on Anthem last week....and then realized that it was for the wrong date and had to have her change it to the correct date.  It was a suite so this was particularly problematic.  NO PROBLEM for Michelle !  She got them to waive the $200 suite cancellation fee (in fairness, it was within 24 hours that we had to cancel/reschedule).  I can't say enough good things on Michelle's behalf !

36 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Can you switch travel agencies after deposit has been made?

I got screwed by AAA and I need to know what my options are.

Yes, but you have to get AAA to agree, call MEI or someone else and confirm.

It's been awhile back, but I had AAA release it to me and then I re-assigned.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:33 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

+1 for Michelle.  If she puts up with me, she MUST have the patience of Job.  I am such an airhead.  I had her book a cruise for me while I was on Anthem last week....and then realized that it was for the wrong date and had to have her change it to the correct date.  It was a suite so this was particularly problematic.  NO PROBLEM for Michelle !  She got them to waive the $200 suite cancellation fee (in fairness, it was within 24 hours that we had to cancel/reschedule).  I can't say enough good things on Michelle's behalf !

I had Michelle going awhile back, I think I might have actually sensed some frustration in her voice. Of course in the end it was me not realizing the facts and she was right all along.

She is a godsend to an OCD person like me.

Bah ...it is non-refundable. They saved me quite a bit on the cost of the one cruise but cost me $50 in OBC, then on the next one only saved me $14 but cost me $100 OBC. I just asked them to look at it and they re-booked it. Said that there was nothing they could do as that offer that the original booking was done under had expired.

2 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Bah ...it is non-refundable. They saved me quite a bit on the cost of the one cruise but cost me $50 in OBC, then on the next one only saved me $14 but cost me $100 OBC. I just asked them to look at it and they re-booked it. Said that there was nothing they could do as that offer that the original booking was done under had expired.

@Jolly Ogre   just to be clear,  are you referring to AAA?

Ok, so I have heard Matt talk about it on the podcast.  But, why use a travel agent?  I mostly hear about the checking of several cruises and pricing them all.  I personally don't mind the legwork.  I plan out all our vacations, I enjoy the legwork/research actually.  So what other benefit comes with a seasoned TA?  I am open to using one for the next time we book.

1 minute ago, DublinFC said:

Ok, so I have heard Matt talk about it on the podcast.  But, why use a travel agent?  I mostly hear about the checking of several cruises and pricing them all.  I personally don't mind the legwork.  I plan out all our vacations, I enjoy the legwork/research actually.  So what other benefit comes with a seasoned TA?  I am open to using one for the next time we book.

I was just like you, I researched and planned everything, but in the long run they can find deals we just cannot find. Plus I don't have to deal with Royal on the phone or through the web site, MEI does all of that for me.

Travel is their job, I currently have 6 cruises booked out through 2021, I don't have to worry about any of them, I still do my research, but if I find something that might be different to have I just call or email MEI.

10 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

Of course you can do it on your own and it's not that difficult or demanding to manage it on your own. The reason to use a TA is they will save you time, maybe some money, and be your advocate should there be any issue.  

I often use the metaphor that having a TA is like having a lawyer. Of course you can represent yourself in court, but a lawyer knows the ins and outs of the system and everyone involved. 

48 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

same for me also.   I was an extreme planner and was very hesitant to give up control.   I still do a lot of my research on lower prices but i'm very confident in knowing our TA (Michelle @MEI) is also keeping an eye out for us as well.   With all the challenges that Royal customer care has had lately, i'd rather let a professional handle any issues that may come up.   If you can find a reliable TA (again MEI is awesome) there honestly isn't ANY reason not to use them that i've been able to figure out.   If i screw something up without a TA, its a crap shoot if it will get resolved.  If MEI has any issues, 99% of the time they can and will make it right (within reason of course).

42 minutes ago, Matt said:

Of course you can do it on your own and it's not that difficult or demanding to manage it on your own. The reason to use a TA is they will save you time, maybe some money, and be your advocate should there be any issue.  

I often use the metaphor that having a TA is like having a lawyer. Of course you can represent yourself in court, but a lawyer knows the ins and outs of the system and everyone involved. 

I think being an advocate for the traveler is the biggest reason to use a good TA.

@tiny260 @Matt @Todd W Thanks for the clarification.  Im used to being my own advocate and doing the research myself.  We used a TA for a land and sea package for DCL and they only thing I felt they helped us with was the flights down to Orlando, she found a great deal and saved me around $500 on the flights. Again I am not against using a TA for the next sailing, but wanted some extra info.  The comparison to the lawyer makes sense.  

All this leads me to the next cruise office on the ship.  They offer perks/bonuses for agreeing to another cruise while on board from my understanding.  Can I sign up with a TA there or is it all through RC?  Again, newbie over here wanting to be more informed so thank you in advance.  I do really appreciate it.

3 hours ago, DublinFC said:

All this leads me to the next cruise office on the ship.  They offer perks/bonuses for agreeing to another cruise while on board from my understanding.  Can I sign up with a TA there or is it all through RC?  Again, newbie over here wanting to be more informed so thank you in advance.  I do really appreciate it.

You can transfer it to a travel agent within 60 days of booking if you don't have a TA on file with them already.