Main dining room question

This is a newbie question and may be dumb. I looked through a blog from my ship and saw lots of photos of the Windjammer buffet. The food looks pretty good! But how does the MDR work? Do you order from a menu? One that changes daily? Or is the same? Just curious how I decide where to eat! Lol

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, SoSiWe said:

We will sail for the first time on RC next year .... is the main dining room food a good variety?  I really don't want to buy a dining package as it is a short cruise. Is there any seafood available on the free dining plans.

I just got back on Sat from my cruise.  There was a wide variety each night.  I was admittedly disappointed in the food quality in the MDR and I preferred the buffet actually.  But we ate in the MDR 4 our of 6 nights on the cruise.  It  was just ok.  

The MDR menu changes daily.  There is a section on the menu that is static...usually favorites...then each evening there is a section of different things.  I agree with @ama537621 in that there is always at least 1 seafood option, sometimes more than 1.

And my PERSONAL preference is MDR...it's "free".  On a longer cruise we have done a two-night specialty dining, but we are more than please and satisfied in the MDR...especially since I'm waited on and served.  If I haven't particularly cared for a dish in the MDR (which I can think of 1 time), the servers are very accommodating at bringing something else.  We have never left the MDR unsatisfied or hungry.

The MDR has slightly more upscale choices than the buffet and you are waited on. However, I have noticed they have upgraded the dinner buffet choices and we skipped the dining room in favor of the buffet and were quite pleased. The MDR menu is posted somewhere-outside the dining room or on the TV so you can decide ahead of time.

38 minutes ago, RG0592 said:

How long does a dinner in the MDR take?  We're a party of 6 on Symphony of the Seas this summer.  I'm trying to make some My Time Dining reservations and squeeze it in before the HIRO show!

The MDR is meant to be an upscale dining experience. My wife and I enjoy having a conversation with those we are dining. We like that each course is not dumped on the table within seconds of each other. Eating in the MDR is not a speed eating event. It is meant to be as much a social experience as a dining experience. We have met many other people from around the world when seated together in the dining room. It's a wonderful opportunity to learn about other parts of the country and the world.

If you are concerned about being late for an entertainment event then take into account how long that dining in the MDR will be and schedule your plans accordingly.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:48 AM, SoSiWe said:

We will sail for the first time on RC next year .... is the main dining room food a good variety?  I really don't want to buy a dining package as it is a short cruise. Is there any seafood available on the free dining plans.

How long is your cruise?  On the 7 night they have a lobster night (formal night).  They also offer a garlic shrimp that is quite good.  There is a fish every night, plus the 'crusted salmon' which is every night.  And there is usually a seafood linguine.   We just got off Symphony and were very happy with the MDR.  We did BOGO, which gives you 2 restaurants for a good price, but must be used on nights 1 and 2.  This gives you a good mix of specialty and MDR.

1 hour ago, RG0592 said:

How long does a dinner in the MDR take?  We're a party of 6 on Symphony of the Seas this summer.  I'm trying to make some My Time Dining reservations and squeeze it in before the HIRO show!

This varies.  On Mariner, we sat with 2 other couples/families.  Dinner lasted from 6-8pm, but the waiter was taking him time as he was letting us chat among each other.

We just got off Symphony and sat just the four of us (we have 2 kids).  The meal was a perfect pace.  Dinner was 5:30pm and we were out by 7pm, or even a bit before. One night they had the ice show at 7pm and was worried we'd miss it. We just let our waiters know and we made it no issue.

These are both traditional dining but would be similar for My Time.  Just let them know that you want to make a show.

PS - We really enjoy the MDR and it was especially good on Symphony.

16 minutes ago, SYRbob said:

The MDR is meant to be an upscale dining experience. My wife and I enjoy having a conversation with those we are dining. We like that each course is not dumped on the table within seconds of each other. Eating in the MDR is not a speed eating event. It is meant to be as much a social experience as a dining experience. We have met many other people from around the world when seated together in the dining room. It's a wonderful opportunity to learn about other parts of the country and the world.

If you are concerned about being late for an entertainment event then take into account how long that dining in the MDR will be and schedule your plans accordingly.

Very well said, our dining times have been between an hour to two hours, with the average time around 90 minutes.  It's more about a relaxing dinner and good conversations learning about your tablemates.  We've always found something to chose from the menu and have been satisfied with our choices if not entirely pleased.

1 hour ago, DublinFC said:

@Matt I have heard you on the podcast mention you request Indian curry when you cruise to have in the MDR.  Who do you place that request with and where do you make it?  I had to rewind when I heard you mention it the 1st time so I could make sure I heard you right.

Ask your waiter the first night.

1 hour ago, DublinFC said:

Ok great! thanks.  I wasn't sure if there was a form or something to make that request.  Much appreciated!

They usually have Indian food in the Windjammer, so if they don't have anything in the MDR that night they may just go and get you some of the WJ stuff.  But for the following nights they can have the MDR prepare it for you.  I haven't really had bad Indian food on board, even in the Windjammer.  Mariner had Indian selections at breakfast even..had some amazing Masala Grits on my last cruise.

4 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

They usually have Indian food in the Windjammer, so if they don't have anything in the MDR that night they may just go and get you some of the WJ stuff.  But for the following nights they can have the MDR prepare it for you.  I haven't really had bad Indian food on board, even in the Windjammer.  Mariner had Indian selections at breakfast even..had some amazing Masala Grits on my last cruise.

I don't get it very often as my wife cant stand curry.  So I figure if its there for the taking or making I will ask for it.  I will take a peek at the WJ and see if I can locate it.  I have way to long before the cruse, but figured I would ask anyway.  Thanks again!

23 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

I don't get it very often as my wife cant stand curry.  So I figure if its there for the taking or making I will ask for it.  I will take a peek at the WJ and see if I can locate it.  I have way to long before the cruse, but figured I would ask anyway.  Thanks again!

@Matt always ask his waiter the first night and then if I recall his post correctly they have it ready for dinner every night after that.

7 hours ago, RG0592 said:

Thank you everyone for the help!  A 2 hour dinner in the MDR may be pushing it.  Will dinner at Solarium Bistro be a little quicker?  

If you have to catch a show, mention it to them right off the bat.  They are usually pretty good about rushing it.  We usually leave 2 hrs for dinner but when we have had to catch a show, we can usually get out before that.  I might be wrong, but I think Solarium Bistro is a sit down dinner at night so it may not be any faster.  Windjammer will be as quick as you want to make it.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you have to catch a show, mention it to them right off the bat.  They are usually pretty good about rushing it.  We usually leave 2 hrs for dinner but when we have had to catch a show, we can usually get out before that.  I might be wrong, but I think Solarium Bistro is a sit down dinner at night so it may not be any faster.  Windjammer will be as quick as you want to make it.

Only ate at the Bistro once, but appetizers and dessert were buffet, the entree was made to order.