Transportation from Civitavecchia Italy to Rome

Joanne K

A few years ago when we did a T/A to Rome one of the members of our Roll Call group on the CC forum arranged transportation and opened it to as many people as wanted to sign up. When all was said and done he had a full size tour bus full of people signed up! The only glitch was we had to wait a bit for the bus but once it got there it was great and took folks to their hotel ,or if their street was too narrow like ours was, close to it. I don't remember the particulars but I do remember it was much less expensive than any other alternative. 

Said all that to say you ought to check out your ship and date's CC roll call and see if some enterprising person hasn't done the same thing or at least maybe folks have posted solutions they have found. We have a Greek Island cruise in september leaving and returning to Rome and on our roll call a guy arranged private transportation for 8 and let the first six people who signed up join in. My wife and I did so we have transportation from the port to the airport for 23 euro's per person including tip. Much less than a private car or taxi for two.

Have you thought about going on Facebook and seeing if there is a group already created for Jewel of the Seas?  These groups are typically private/closed group .  For me I belong to multiple ones.  For example,  I join the ship FB group, and then look to see if there is one for my sail date.

The ship FB group page is great because it gives unique insight to the ship from previous cruisers.  The sail date allows me to create connections prior to sailing.  IE a FB pub crawl, who is doing what excursion, who is hiding ducks on the ship, etc.  

Just me, but I bet if there is a Jewel FB page, they probably could give you a more definitive answer since those pages are truly dedicated to the Jewel.  Do not get me wrong, this site is amazing, but it is more breath than depth, iows you get insight from the big picture regarding RCCL and their ships,  whereas, FB Jewel is a smaller picture (depth) regarding those that have sailed her, and insight when it comes to specific rooms or specific ports,  and the 29th sailing is even deeper regarding who is sailing  

My situation was a little different on a cruise that included an overnight there.  I remember it being a commercial port.  I don't recall if they shuttle you out of the port or if you need to get transport but I don't think they let you just walk around in the port area and it is a little ways to be able to exit anyways.  We did a tour from the ship the first day which included a bus tour (90 minute ride to reach Rome).  The second day we did our own thing and we took the train which is near the port into Rome.  The cost was much better than car transport.  However, it sounds like you have your luggage so this may not be the best option for you as opposed to find a bus or other shared transport.

My friends and I are sailing on the Jewel also on May 11th.  Because we are four older ladies, we opted to use a shuttle service from our Rome hotel to Civitavecchia Port and return to Rome hotel (we are staying 4 nights post cruise).  The total cost round trip is 190 Euros - 95 Euros each way total for 4 passengers (about $26 pp each way).  Here is the web site:

http://www.sharedshuttle.it/

I did look up this service on TripAdvisor and other review sites and thus far it had great reviews.  You do not pay via the internet - you pay the driver(s).  We thought originally to go on the train but the thought of dragging our luggage thru the streets and then on board the train was daunting.  The great thing about Sharedshuttle is that, according to their website & reviewers, they drop you off and pick you up after the cruise from the port itself.  Sharedshuttle is allowed to do this.  Check them out and see what happens.

On a side note, when I booked the transport, I actually received a call from Lucy, one of the reps, from Italy to confirm our reservations.  A voucher is sent via email that you need to print and have with you.  It is a shared shuttle so there may/will be other passengers but the price is right!

Hope this info helps.