State Department issues travel warning for Bahamas, urges tourists to 'exercise increased caution'

We always have exercised caution, and I will continue to do so. We will be there in about another 30 days but to be honest we plan on enjoying the day onboard the ship! This will be our 5th time there and just want to enjoy the ship at this point.  Last time we did a little bit of shopping and then took a taxi to Cabbage beach which was nice and beautiful, but we have never been on Anthem and are looking forward to enjoying the best that it has to offer! 

Having done Nassau a few times and having been on Anthem....You have made the right decision.

57 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

We always have exercised caution, and I will continue to do so. We will be there in about another 30 days but to be honest we plan on enjoying the day onboard the ship! This will be our 5th time there and just want to enjoy the ship at this point.  Last time we did a little bit of shopping and then took a taxi to Cabbage beach which was nice and beautiful, but we have never been on Anthem and are looking forward to enjoying the best that it has to offer! 

Didn't I just see something reporting that they entire dock area in Nassau was going to be re-designed and 

changed at what I'm sure is a huge amount of money?   If they can't so something about the crime and 

uneasiness, then they're wasting money (and I know that ain't happnin').

On 3/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, monctonguy said:

I think there was been something like this about Nassau since I did my first cruise...never bothered me and I enjoy Nassau for what it is......

Yeah there are some nice aspects to it. I like the sail in and sail out, the Atlantis and British Colonial Hotels are nice beach days and the bars along that front street are pretty good. I just don’t think I care for it much anymore. I’ve had some run in’s with the locals and the cab drivers are downright reckless so I think maybe staying on the ship is going to be a more enjoyable day. 

Welcome to the boards, yes, the area around the port is nice, I've never had a problem there.

You have to be cautious in the ports on a cruise like you would in any big city, don't walk down areas that look like you shouldn't walk down them.

We have eaten twice at a little Greek restaurant close to the port that was very good.

DSC02592.JPG

DSC02594.JPG

We are heading back to Nassau, in July, for our second time.  The first time we walked around the main street with all the shops, shopped in the straw market, went to Starbucks to get my mug? and took a "bus" tour.  The tour was actually very nice, lots of history, a couple stops (one was a small market), the final stop was a whiskey distillery or something.  There were 6 of us.  We enjoyed it, and exercised caution just like we would have anyplace we go  I can see how those who cruise lots may not LOVE it, but you're on vacation.  Go, have fun, pay attention to where you go.