New to Cruise

drink packages typically run in the $60's per day (+18% for grats) on the ship.   They are constantly going on and off sale.  Don't pay attention so much to the   X% off as the actual price per day.   If you see a price you like, purchase it.  if it goes down, you can always cancel and repurchase.    As reference, i was able to get ours as low as $44 per person / per day (+18% ) for our April cruise but i had originally purchased at $47.    WIFI is only worth it if you really feel you need it.  If you need to keep in contact with the mainland it can be a viable route to go.   Main thing I always say, don't over think it.   Very easy to pack way more than you actually need.   Go with reasonable expectations and don't let the actions of others skew your perception of whats fun.    Prepare to get hooked!

In regards to the drink packages, I'd look in the various threads for drink package discussions and find the average sale price for your particular ship and length/destination of the cruise.  Then you can get a ballpark figure of how much would be a good price for the drink package.  They vary based on ship/sailing so someone who gets a drink package for 42 dollars might be different from the ship/sailing whose bargain drink package price is 52 dollars.  Set your own "good price" that you see in the cruise planner and when you see that price, snag it.  If you see a better price, you can always book the new good price and cancel your old one.  

Wifi (along with everything else really)  is worth it if you plan on using it.  If you dont intend to be in contact with the shore, browsing twitter, being connected to social media and friends/family via text.. then its not worth it if you dont use it.  Its like the drink package.  Great if you plan on getting your drink on, not so great if you only intend to drink rarely and have nothing but water on your cruise.  

As for newbie tips, my best tip is.... wear comfortable shoes.  In the excitement of the cruise, a LOT of us are like "I need new sandals, I need new sneakers, I need new pumps" but if you wear brand new shoes, your feet will hate you if they're not broken in properly.  So that means wearing your new sandals around the house.  Wearing those new pumps to work.  If you MUST wear new shoes (ladies I'm looking at you mostly on this one) for formal night (we rarely wear these shoes, and often times we buy new ones for the cruise) if you have a cobbler you trust (shoe shop at local malls tend to have a cobbler store) ask them to stretch the shoes.  It takes about a day or two but that can simulate some wear in the shoe.  Use blister pads or moleskin on the pressure points of the shoe to prevent rubbing (the back of your heel and inner and outer bunion points tend to be the most rubbed).    I speak from experience here doing a lot of conventions and a LOT of walking in new shoes.  Trust me when I say, go for comfort over fashion when it comes to your shoes.  Flats are better than heels.  For the gents, use the moleskin technique if your formal night shoes are barely or never worn.  Sneakers are better your old grubbies rather than a shiny new pair.  Wear comfortable socks as well.  Your feet will thank you.  A blistered foot can nearly ruin your amazing cruise.

Also get used to walking.  A lot.  Another foot saving tip here.  But also the rest of your body.  These ships are LARGE and likely you'll be doing a lot of walking from your room, to an activity, to a meal, to a shore excursion, to your cabin, to a meal... walk walk walk.  If you're not accustomed to being on your feet a lot, you'll want to get even slightly accustomed before you cruise.  Walk about a mile a day until you're accustomed to it, then increase the distance to 3-5 miles.  I've worn a fitbit on a cruise before and I walked over 10 miles in a day onboard a ship.  That's a LOT of walking.  And those not accustomed to it will be SORE.  If you dont feel like preparing, if you have a suite or room with a bathtub.  Soak your feet every night in as hot water as you can tolerate.  Soak in the hot tubs onboard.  They are your friends.  Men this goes for you too.  Protect your feet!  Dont be too proud to soak.  If you walk a LOT in a day and you know you've pushed your body, take a motrin or ibuprofern if you can before you go to bed. This will help reduce the swelling in your feet and sore muscles associated with a lot of walking.  

Yes I may seem a little obsessive about foot care but so many very simple foot issues can be very easily addressed by just a little foot prep beforehand and taking care of your feet during your cruise.

Dont be afraid to ask questions.  There are no stupid questions, no redundant questions, no questions that are embarrassing.  Please ask questions.  We're a very friendly group here with many decades of experience cruising and cruising on RC

On 3/2/2019 at 10:44 AM, TinaLouise said:

Is getting wifi worth it?

If you want to be connected, yes, I do think it's worth the cost. Pre-purchase it via RC's site to save money (compared to waiting to buy onboard).

On 3/2/2019 at 10:44 AM, TinaLouise said:

How much do the deluxe drink packages run?? I've seen various costs.

The drink package price varies from ship to ship, and sailing to sailing.