Should Royal have an excursion allowing you to visit other ships in port?

Joe01

Just checked the port schedule for Harmony this summer, and we dock with Liberty in Cozumel. Been to Cozumel twice before on Oasis & Harmony and seen it already. Would actually prefer if Royal offered the excursion to visit Liberty for the day. They should allow this every time that their ships dock together, or alternatively make it a Diamond perk.

Do you think that this would be a good idea? I know that crew sometimes visit other ships for the day.

4 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Just checked the port schedule for Harmony this summer, and we dock with Liberty in Cozumel. Been to Cozumel twice before on Oasis & Harmony and seen it already. Would actually prefer if Royal offered the excursion to visit Liberty for the day. They should allow this every time that their ships dock together, or alternatively make it a Diamond perk.

Do you think that this would be a good idea? I know that crew sometimes visit other ships for the day.

From a security standpoint, I would definitely not be in favor of this. From a curiosity standpoint, definitely. Not everyone is just curious, however. Also, ships would probably have to exchange manifests, not sure how easy that would be.

I noticed when we were in Falmouth a very high number of visitors badges around the ship. Would appear that a large number of crew is from that area and they allow them onboard to visit for the day. So there’s already a system in place to account for comings and goings of non passengers. It also meant lots of non passenger kids in the pools on Harmony that afternoon. 

There are many local groups that tour ships while in port.  So there could be a similar process where there actual tours of the ships and it would not seem to be any more of a security risk than today.  

Now if the excursion was just to give access to the other ship, it seems that might create more problems.  It would be possible that all people doing that excursion would be given an armband and be required to leave at a certain point.  They would not need to be on the other ships manifest or anything.  BUT the issue is what happens if someone “gets lost” and doesn’t make it to the departure.  The only way possible would be if they gave you a Disney style magic band that had an RFID chop that could locate you anywhere on the ship.

Crew are employees and subject to termination if they are so much as 5 minutes late for all aboard.  Crew know not to fool around with deadlines and rules.  

Guests are customers who have long displayed a sense of entitlement and many are late boarding a ship on time expecting that the ship revolves around their entitled life.   

Cool idea for the 1% of us who would respect the rules and be off the guest ship and back on board our home ship.  Bad idea for the 99% who would be late leaving, requiring multiple pages over the PA system and a man hunt to track them down.  

If a crew did that the solution is simple.  Fired on the spot.  When a guest sticks their middle finger up at the Captain and shows up late all the Captain can do is swear under his or her breath.  

On 3/2/2019 at 6:41 PM, Andrew72681 said:

I noticed when we were in Falmouth a very high number of visitors badges around the ship. Would appear that a large number of crew is from that area and they allow them onboard to visit for the day. So there’s already a system in place to account for comings and goings of non passengers. It also meant lots of non passenger kids in the pools on Harmony that afternoon. 

On Harmony while on Cozumel there were a lot of people (and I mean A LOT) with visitor badges (Travel Agents and special guests) everywhere. 

I don't see the logistic nightmare, it seems that RC knows how to handle this kind of situation very well.