Holland America testing additional charge for two entrees

I tend to agree with RC that a source of the food waste is the buffet, not the MDR.  And I think giving smaller plates is a wonderful way to reduce waste.  This is a common practice in Vegas buffets with the smaller plates.  If you took one of your dinner plates at home, and placed it next to a Vegas dinner plate, its a few inches smaller.  Not enough to notice when its in a big stack of plates, and since there's nothing to really compare it to, you dont mind.  Its not like they're using saucer size plates where you'd notice.  But its just an inch or two smaller, designed in vegas to maximize profit by reducing waste.  But those are also buffets you pay for.  The rationale may be different, but the result is the same, less food on the plate, less waste.  

On 4/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, joshvc said:

Interesting- it does seem like the Buffet would be a bigger source of waste. That said, I could see them reducing serving sizes in the MDR, and being more eager to bring second portions once you know you like something. Not necessarily full blown tapas style dining (although I'd love that for a couple of the meals), but somewhere in between. 

Omg... Can you imagine how much that would slow down the service in the dining room even more than now?  I'm not sure how much more you can shrink the serving sizes... One small pork chop for example is a chop... Can't shrink it!  

The mdr already has the upcharge items and people are fine with them but with all the specialty dining push, people will go bat crazy if you start charging for 2nd entrees in one of the two main complementary dining areas.  They will find ways to increase revenue without this really in your face one, which is the point of charging for entree 2 and not the silly food waste excuse.  Jane