Royal IQ on Ovation

For those who have sailed Quantum class .... I believe I've heard people mention that there's a chat feature on the Royal IQ app, for a fee (or the whole app is a fee, one or the other). If so, do you remember how much AND is the chat feature reliable? My husband doesn't really have any interest in getting internet, but if it's the best way to get hold of each other on the ship I'm willing to fork over for it (it was pretty easy for us to find each other on the Vision - Ovation is just so much bigger!).   I will have internet for blogging the cruise to my poor friends stuck at home, and to be sure our petsitter has 24/7 access to me.  Or maybe it's no big deal since most port days are in the USA (Alaska) and we can actually just use our cell phones to text (as long as we remember to put them on airplane mode again before we leave port).

11 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yeah, I'm familiar with the regular app - I just never see anyone talking much about the other one, so I assume it's crap, lol.  

When I say the other APP, I think it is actually the new one that they will be carrying over to the remainder of the fleet. I can see my upcoming Symphony and Harmony cruises on it, so I think it's the new one.

Just now, tiny260 said:

When I say the other APP, I think it is actually the new one that they will be carrying over to the remainder of the fleet. I can see my upcoming Symphony and Harmony cruises on it, so I think it's the new one.

Yep, I know. But Ovation doesn't have that one yet, it's still running Royal IQ. I don't know if it will be switched over by June. 

6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Ok, stupid me, I should have just googled - this is what I was talking about  - anyone know if this is a $7.95 flat fee or per day fee for chat, and how reliable it is?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/royaliq

It is a one time fee of $7.95 for the week to use the Royal IQ app when you have the Royal IQ communication package.

• 3 months later...

Welcome to the forum @Ricco. If you get the wifi service (VOOM) there are free apps you can use.  We have used Voxer for several years and like it. You can send written or voice messages, attach pictures and get notifications when you have incoming messages. For a fee you can up grade it to a walkie talkie feature (I have not done that). Of course, everyone in you party would need to download the same app. I think it is available for both Android and Apple.

Happy sailing!

Ovation currently still uses RoyalIQ but also has a loophole that allows iMessage on iPhones to work for free.  It works for the blue Apple-to-Apple type iMessages, not green text messages.  Some Android users have reported success with WhatsApp but this doesn't seem to be consistent.  

RoyalIQ does have an $8 chat feature that each person needs to purchase.  The fee is for the whole cruise, not per day.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
39 minutes ago, Cheekismirks said:

Pls help! We are on the Ovation in April 2020, 17 of us (ranging between 2 & 73)...can you use the Royal iQ app for large group texting? If you have a few different booking/cabin numbers? TIA

Welcome to the message boards!

RoyalIQ no longer works on Ovation. Ovation now uses the newer "Royal Caribbean" app.  

At the moment the new app has no chat feature for Ovation.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

RoyalIQ no longer works on Ovation. Ovation now uses the newer "Royal Caribbean" app.  

See Matt's blog for more info. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/10/22/first-look-royal-caribbean-smartphone-app-chat-feature

14 hours ago, twangster said:

Bugger! That’s what I thought!! I’m sorry for asking stupid questions...if we all had iPhones and used Messenger, could we still use the free ‘royalwifi’? Sorry been on other cruise liners, but first time on Royal...bit scary really ?

8 hours ago, Cheekismirks said:

Bugger! That’s what I thought!! I’m sorry for asking stupid questions...if we all had iPhones and used Messenger, could we still use the free ‘royalwifi’? Sorry been on other cruise liners, but first time on Royal...bit scary really ?

Royals"free WiFi" only connects to RCL sites you will have to purchase an internet plan to use Messenger.

In October on Ovation on the first cruise when the new app when active and RoyalIQ app went inactive the loophole allowing iPhone to use iMessage still worked for me.  

It took a couple of minutes for devices to become active for iMessage without a paid Voom plan, but once active iMessage was instant. WhatsApp didn't work for me.

There are reports that some people have not had success with iMessage but it's not clear if they waited long enough.  When I first tried it I connected and immediately tried to send an iMessage.  Seeing it not work I thought they must patched the loophole.  Then a few minutes later I received an iMessage and other notifications just like before.

I'll try again in February but I expect them to have closed the loophole by now.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

In October on Ovation on the first cruise when the new app when active and RoyalIQ app went inactive the loophole allowing iPhone to use iMessage still worked for me.  

It took a couple of minutes for devices to become active for iMessage without a paid Voom plan, but once active iMessage was instant. WhatsApp didn't work for me.

There are reports that some people have not had success with iMessage but it's not clear if they waited long enough.  When I first tried it I connected and immediately tried to send an iMessage.  Seeing it not work I thought they must patched the loophole.  Then a few minutes later I received an iMessage and other notifications just like before.

I'll try again in February but I expect them to have closed the loophole by now.  

Yea, with Royal IT they may never figure it out.:2_grimacing:

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 11:52 PM, twangster said:

Twangster I hope you had a great cruise! Could you use iMessages still by any chance?