Navigator Mar. 1, 2019 - 9 Nights Southern Caribbean

twangster

9 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

Can you please check on the fooseball table?  On Mariner, it was no charge but it looked like someone hot-wired the machine because the card reader was removed.

There is a coin slot on the side of it but the balls are sitting on the side of the table in a slot and there is nothing stopping you from dropping a ball into the game and playing it.  I couldn't see the coin slot becoming operational since nothing on board accepts cash (or coin) so at the moment it appears to be free.

I wonder how long those life guards are on station? Talk about BORING! I was a lifeguard many many years ago. We, at least, had elevated chairs to sit in. And it was BORING and the pay was so-so. But, the fringe benefit of meeting young ladies offset the boredom factor. I've always been a "glass is half full" kind of person, just don't ask my wife to verify that. :3_grin: 

@twangsterGreat closeup of the pool...i was almost getting that closeup, in the pool, vibe for a minute. One thing I think Royal need to consider...hiring bands that can play 70s, 80s, 2000s, & todays music, with different flavors & genres. No dispect to people who love reggae or carribean music...just seems like no one really wants to here that. I know bands are local & cheap; but, come on Royal...at least have your DJ out there.

Great vid twangster...?

1 hour ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

@twangsterGreat closeup of the pool...i was almost getting that closeup, in the pool, vibe for a minute. One thing I think Royal need to consider...hiring bands that can play 70s, 80s, 2000s, & todays music, with different flavors & genres. No dispect to people who love reggae or carribean music...just seems like no one really wants to here that. I know bands are local & cheap; but, come on Royal...at least have your DJ out there.

Great vid twangster...?

I love reggae and it suits the cruise perfectly.  They do play other music at times.  To each their own.

Alright, I finally managed to get those pictures uploaded from when I first boarded.  Voom is pretty sketchy in the Southern Caribbean so I apologize for bouncing all over like this but here they are in no particular order:

The temporary fitness area in the Solarium:

Q6QXDwa.png

lXvMacu.jpg

Blaster tube conveyor belt so you don't have to carry tubes up the stairs:

Kt2CUXh.jpg

WEk2i1m.jpg

UDblY3l.jpg

U75kVE8.jpg

kgs2vex.jpg

cuKBr9o.jpg

C5hNB0S.jpg

vhsQcPU.jpg

ng99WU3.jpg

vRJ7IAG.jpg

L92keV6.jpg

TiuHU2l.jpg

E3iGNxo.jpg

hJOXgkt.jpg

Jfjenoq.jpg

kqWz35u.jpg

i9wgDy3.jpg

i8Vqi6E.jpg

Vkt56PU.jpg

U7asKSc.jpg

dECJBMw.jpg

0wchJDg.jpg

xUHs4D6.jpg

o3neY9Q.jpg

DhYPqMu.jpg

LolV4GG.jpg

lmpyHLe.jpg

OCJCcJw.jpg

IrKfjoz.jpg

3AVL5nv.jpg

ZjnYNpH.jpg

228eUWE.jpg

bozxEAU.jpg

29x7YAg.jpg

HlVcTDm.jpg

QsbYYFw.jpg

XpamciJ.jpg

uWgE71E.jpg

tlhYYsA.jpg

This area on deck 12 port is a smoking area.  

TG45Z7g.jpg

AaQeJqd.jpg

And now back to our regularly scheduled cruise blog...

Wow...amazing photos.  Thanks for posting!

Brilliant with Royal building a conveyor belt to carry the tubes up for you for the slide!

PS - Its funny as I was watching one of your periscopes last night and the pools looked really long and narrow. But in the photo above, they look normal width/length.  I guess it was just the periscope angle?  Or are they extra narrow?

10 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Wow...amazing photos.  Thanks for posting!

Brilliant with Royal building a conveyor belt to carry the tubes up for you for the slide!

PS - Its funny as I was watching one of your periscopes last night and the pools looked really long and narrow. But in the photo above, they look normal width/length.  I guess it was just the periscope angle?  Or are they extra narrow?

They don't feel narrow.  With benches down both sides there is lots of seating area and if empty you could try to swim laps.  

For guests staying a Grand Suite or above (Gold Card) the tiered seating that used to be reserved for Gold Cards is gone. 

The new Gold Card sun deck is deck 12 port side forward.

OS7ZbFB.jpg

Talking with the pool deck supervisor this appears to be the permanent location.  If it fills up they might block off the starboard side in the same area for additional Gold Card access.

27 minutes ago, aprilgwynne said:

@twangster on a Facebook page there are passengers complaining about their water in the cabins being brown. Have you had any experiences with that?  I see such conflicting reports from people on the ship currently. 

Yesterday the toilet had yellow water.  At first I though it wasn't flushing but that wasn't it.  Sink and shower were fine.  Wasn't really a problem.  Back to normal today.  

42 minutes ago, twangster said:

Soft serve ice cream has been moved behind a counter and is no longer self serve:

I was wondering what that space was for.  I think it makes sense, since guests doing it themselves always results in a huge mess around the machine.

The new Suite Lounge is occupying the former space of the Diamond Lounge on deck 14 within the Viking Crown Lounge.

kE6ge2k.jpg

9n9umRw.jpg

I'm slumming it in an interior cabin no pictures from inside the Suite Lounge.

I think it was smart to move the Diamond Club down to deck 5. 

The Viking Crown Lounge is free for public use nightly now since the Diamond happy hour overflow is now into the Star Lounge.  The port side aft elevators that service deck 14 and the Viking Crown Lounge are not packed with Diamond members trying to reach deck 14 during happy hour. 

The Star Lounge and Diamond Club has more comfortable seating.  The only thing absent of course are the views.  However with sun setting early evening that is really not a huge issue and with happy hour drink coupons loaded on Diamond SeaPass cards it's easy enough to enjoy a few drinks in the Viking Crown Lounge (which now has seats available) then move down the Diamond Club after dinner.  

It's a better overall use of both spaces.

1 minute ago, Pima1988 said:

Am I the only one looking at the loungers in the pool thinking OMG chair hogging is going to go to a whole new level now!

The cabanas are the first to be hogged.  Crew stacks loungers in the cabanas overnight so that any wind doesn't send them flying.  Guest are out early moving the stacks of chairs out of the cabanas so they can claim them long before crew have a chance to put all the deck 12 loungers out for the day. 

Morning joggers have a time dodging the guests haphazardly clearing loungers out of the cabanas.   

Chair hog 2.0.

To Dry For

A new feature and first on the fleet is the Blow Dry Salon located in the deck 5 Promenade.

For those that don't know the Vitality Spa is outsourced to a company called Steiner Leisure.  They staff and operate many different spas on many different cruise lines.   'To Dry For' is also staffed by Steiner employees and the regular Vitality offerings that have existed up to this point remain.  

Reservations recommend especially for formal nights.

FoXgUL0.jpg

OUmMiTN.jpg

D14KjxR.jpg

MJVx0W5.jpg

UdHnFn2.jpg

GOguR9k.jpg

7LDz4PJ.jpg

0R2htzE.jpg

tKTVQam.jpg

eU6xIzb.jpg

Mffdbvh.jpg

Mci8mnp.jpg

mG9gqje.jpg

X3B42wR.jpg

On 3/5/2019 at 9:38 AM, twangster said:

Top Tier event for Crown and Anchor last night.

C&A ambassador stated there are over 13 million C&A members worldwide.

2,039 C&A members on board 

Gold 878

Platinum 426

Emerald 254

Diamond 334

Diamond Plus 142

Pinnacle 5

Top cruisers have 711, 729 and 875 points in the C&A program (all the Pinnacles).

HASHTAG GOALS...YES, I spelled out hashtag LOL

Dinner tonight was Playmakers because I had a craving for wings.  First a beer.

cH8Pl1O.jpg

I'll show the menus and more pictures of Playmakers in another post when it's empty on a port day and I can take better pictures but until then these are the hottest wings they offer and they were hot.  I literally had tears in my eyes.  

2oUdpxN.jpg

I just might have to do these again.

We moved our clocks ahead one hour in preparation of arriving in the ABC islands so that we would match island time.  I planned to woke up and try for sunrise pictures but after a night of sampling the Bamboo Room drink menu I was a little slow in start.

Around 7:30am the Captain made an announcement.  It's unusual for an announcement before 8am so I knew something was up.  He announced the need for the medivac I mentioned earlier.  We were sailing straight for Puerto Rico to get within range of the Coast Guard station there.  

As the time got closer we turned to the Northeast to minimize winds across the helipad while the helicopter readied for the landing.  

Our location:

3qslMwk.jpg

All outer decks were closed except for the pool deck which has no sight lines towards the helipad so I watched from my cabin.  

b8oxR7K.jpg

mQsMwP7.jpg

UDBGNlO.jpg

Note how all the railings, benches and cables have been removed or lowered.  All that was put back in place soon after.