Navigator Mar. 1, 2019 - 9 Nights Southern Caribbean

twangster

5 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

That's awesome.  We saw him on Independence too.  Very funny.  Haven't even told our kids about him (as they weren't on Independence with us) and hoping we'll bump into him (or his clone..lol) in an elevator on Symphony next week.  Such a funny concept and brings a smile to your face 

We saw him on Mariner as well. We loved it. Such a fun addition

A temporary fitness area has been setup in the Solarium while they finish the new gym deck 11 aft

ZUypb3B.jpg

The door off the port side Solarium that used to lead to the Peak-A-Boo bridge now just is a small outside deck areaL

AEjmvhh.jpg

New deck 11 cabins occupy the space where the gym used to be and the deck that was the Paek-A-Boo bridge is now balcony space for these new cabins.

@twangster I know you said it doesn't matter much to you about the Virtual Balcony not working... but I also know you had a cruise cancelled and didn't recoup all costs for it. So I thought I'd mention that I just heard of someone who has been to complain about their VB not working and they've recieved some OBC. 

3 minutes ago, CazV said:

@twangster I know you said it doesn't matter much to you about the Virtual Balcony not working... but I also know you had a cruise cancelled and didn't recoup all costs for it. So I thought I'd mention that I just heard of someone who has been to complain about their VB not working and they've recieved some OBC. 

Yes I visited guest services on day two just so I would be on file as noting my VB isn't working.

Today a letter was waiting outside my cabin.  $400 OBC.  

Very generous actually and will just about pay for my drink package.  While I was looking forward to the virtual balcony this OBC offer goes a long way to overcoming the disappointment.  

@twangster I am loving this blog! We are on the similar itinerary on March 15th. Its our first cruise and this is all making me so much more excited, if that was even possible!

Question for you.. Are you using a travel router on this sailing? I saved your old post about the router, and I have one that I am planning to take with me, mostly just to help boost the wifi signal. 

52 minutes ago, Thetechie said:

Question for you.. Are you using a travel router on this sailing? I saved your old post about the router, and I have one that I am planning to take with me, mostly just to help boost the wifi signal. 

That is exactly what I use it for.  The nearest access point is down the hall a couple cabins.  In bed the ship wifi is very weak.  The travel router does a good job of boosting the signal so I have full coverage in my cabin.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Navigator has fresh floral arrangements located around the ship.  They are quite large and very pretty.  I'm not sure I've seen fresh flowers like this before.  Nice addition.

Wonder if that is just because this is the first sailing?  Or left over from the media shake down cruise?  Would be nice they continue that.

I feel like I haven't been including as many photos as I normal do so here are some from our sail away.

Before the fun, comes the guest assembly drill.  

ycheEMA.jpg

abpwJgp.jpg

We start sail away with our cruise director "My Beautiful People" Hugo getting the pool deck rocking on this first sailing of the Amplified Navigator of the Seas:

WD3BhWk.jpg

We had to wait for a Carnival ship to turn her turn in the turning basin then it was our time. 

We sailed past the new Crown of Miami where Mariner was earlier on this day.

RPTCmf8.jpg

Z0anriy.jpg

In this picture on deck 12 you can see where Johnny Rockets used to be but now there is a door and set of stairs leading up to the sports deck.

urvXbmn.jpg

EYbpdUk.jpg

VUAoe2o.jpg

The sail away party kept rocking here on the rooftop of the Lime and Coconut

02WoNhq.jpg

0BSd2jj.jpg

stjrfJX.jpg

AIVFsrD.jpg

Qn1A3o1.jpg

Back on the aft sports deck the Riptide water slide was going along with the Flowrider.

eh4K5VS.jpg

Several hammocks can be found back here.

UcNQvme.jpg

kexCNzz.jpg

And with that Voom has slowed way down so I'm pausing the picture fest and going to the Bamboo Room for a drink.

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

I feel like I haven't been including as many photos as I normal do so here are some from our sail away.

We start with our cruise director "My Beautiful People" Hugo getting the pool deck rocking on this first sailing of the Amplified Navigator of the Seas:

WD3BhWk.jpg

We had to wait for a Carnival ship to turn her turn in the turning basin then it was our time. 

We sailed past the new Crown of Miami where Mariner was earlier on this day.

RPTCmf8.jpg

Z0anriy.jpg

In this picture on deck 12 you can see where Johnny Rockets used to be but now there is a door and set of stairs leading up to the sports deck.

urvXbmn.jpg

EYbpdUk.jpg

VUAoe2o.jpg

The sail away party kept rocking here on the rooftop of the Lime and Coconut

02WoNhq.jpg

0BSd2jj.jpg

stjrfJX.jpg

AIVFsrD.jpg

Qn1A3o1.jpg

Back on the aft sports deck the Riptide water slide was going along with the Flowrider.

eh4K5VS.jpg

Several hammocks can be found back here.

UcNQvme.jpg

kexCNzz.jpg

And with that Voom has slowed way down so I'm pausing the picture fest and going to the Bamboo Room for a drink.

Ahh Hugo, we had him on Mariner back in November. Interesting that he has jumped to Navigator... Do you think it's because he does speak Spanish and Navigator will be based in Miami instead of Mariner which will move to Cape Canaveral? 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:42 PM, twangster said:

I asked about content in terms of different sports beyond ESPN International.  He acknowledged this is another item they are exploring.  In fact he pointed out two girls from RCI marketing behind us working away on their laptops.  It’s something they are working on, but’s it’s complicated.  Nice to know they are trying.  

@twangster  Are you saying that the only thing they get at playmakers is ESPN? Just curious because we are sailing over March Madness and I was hoping to be able to watch some hoops that is covered by CBS. Go Heels

7 minutes ago, wville21 said:

@twangster  Are you saying that the only thing they get at playmakers is ESPN? Just curious because we are sailing over March Madness and I was hoping to be able to watch some hoops that is covered by CBS. Go Heels

ESPN International or ESPN Caribbean is not the same as ESPN domestically.  They carry many games and sporting events but ultimately what they can and cannot display is at the mercy of those that hold the international rights to broadcast an event.  A ship can't pirate or steal content.  If the NCAA doesn't allow a broadcast in the Caribbean, the ship has to respect that.

They are exploring different options including other satellite TV providers and other means such as streaming but that doesn't get them around broadcast rights to display content.     

1 minute ago, twangster said:

ESPN International or ESPN Caribbean is not the same as ESPN domestically.  They carry many games and sporting events but ultimately what they can and cannot display is at the mercy of those that hold the international rights to broadcast an event.  A ship can't pirate or steal content.  If the NCAA doesn't allow a broadcast in the Caribbean, the ship has to respect that.

They are exploring different options including other satellite TV providers and other means such as streaming but that doesn't get them around broadcast rights to display content.     

@twangster    Thanks for the info

Navigator was our first cruise ship, wow, has she changed! Looks absolutely great. It just saddens me that her itineraries for 2020 and 2021 are so short, 3 & 4 days, and they don't appeal to us. Would love to cruise her again, but we're booked out this and next year. :27_sunglasses:

2 hours ago, wville21 said:

We've always cruised over Spring Break and March Madness and you will see games on the ships.  Not all games but quite a few.  You won't be out of place if you wear the gear of your favorite team!

3 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

Enjoying the blog so far @twangster.  We will be sailing her in April on the exact itinerary. 

One question about JR Express on Navigator.  Do you have to order a meal if you want to get a float using the Refreshment Drink Package?  I know the policy is ship-dependent.  Thanks in advance!

I was going to ask yesterday about milkshakes and the DX package at JR Express.  Sadly I became stuck on my barstool in The Bamboo Room and it took several hours to free myself.   

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Navigator was our first cruise ship, wow, has she changed! Looks absolutely great. It just saddens me that her itineraries for 2020 and 2021 are so short, 3 & 4 days, and they don't appeal to us. Would love to cruise her again, but we're booked out this and next year. :27_sunglasses:

She was our first RCL ship that we sailed on also, August of 2005! We went through hurricane Katrina, that was an experience! I love what they have done to her, I would love to cruise on her again, but those short cruises.............. not a fan! But the ship is gorgeous, so I could be persuaded ! Haha! 

Kind of bouncing around here.  I came across some day time pool deck photos from right after boarding I'll post soon, but I some news to report.

At 7:30am this morning the Captain announced we would be undertaking a helicopter medical evacuation.  He didn't say anything about the patient which is not unusual due to privacy concerns.  The helipad was closed and the upper decks outside were also closed.  If I'm not mistaken they also ask guests in the forward facing ocean view cabins to leave their cabins. 

Helicopter landings are taken pretty seriously.   They would have had a full fire crew standing by in case the helicopter crashed and caught fire.  These landings are very complex operations that involve breaking the helipad down, removing all benches, lowering railing, lowering the forward radar tower and removing cables that stretch up towards the bridge.   With all that complete the helipad is clear of obstructions. 

The ship then works with the pilot of the helicopter to position the ship and maintain a heading to optimize the landing and takeoff of the helicopter.   

Our location is near the gap between the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. Instead of turning South and heading into the Caribbean Sea we continued to sail towards Puerto Rico to close the distance so that a USCG helicopter could reach us.  

With that complete we've turned South again and entered the Caribbean Sea heading to Aruba.  The Captain expects us to be an hour late arriving but has added two hours onto our Bonaire stay.