Windjammer Question - Allure vs. Harmony

b_resh_uh

Hey all, new to this site, but not to cruising with RCCL. Getting ready for a May sailing on Allure and haven't been on that ship since 2012. Was on Harmony last summer and was astounded at the quality of the Windjammer. My question:

Is the Windjammer on Allure of comparable quality to Harmony/Symphony?

We typically aren't huge WJ fans since the "cattle call" buffet lines aren't usually our thing, but holy cow did Harmony impress. Anyone been on both recently and care to share thoughts?

Thanks!!

10 hours ago, b_resh_uh said:

Hey all, new to this site, but not to cruising with RCCL. Getting ready for a May sailing on Allure and haven't been on that ship since 2012. Was on Harmony last summer and was astounded at the quality of the Windjammer. My question:

Is the Windjammer on Allure of comparable quality to Harmony/Symphony?

We typically aren't huge WJ fans since the "cattle call" buffet lines aren't usually our thing, but holy cow did Harmony impress. Anyone been on both recently and care to share thoughts?

Thanks!!

I will be on allure in March and can let you know how it is!!! Jane

The primary WJ difference is that Harmony has hand washing stations while Allure uses hand sanitizer.

The layout is the same and both ships receive their food stores from the same warehouse.  As far as cooks in the kitchen, crew rotate in and out on 7 month contracts.  They move between ships.  Not all crew work the same contracts so the crew is constantly turning over, a few every week.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The primary WJ difference is that Harmony has hand washing stations while Allure uses hand sanitizer.

The layout is the same and both ships receive their food stores from the same warehouse.  As far as cooks in the kitchen, crew rotate in and out on 7 month contracts.  They move between ships.  Not all crew work the same contracts so the crew is constantly turning over, a few every week.  

Thanks for the intel. We thought the quality of the food in the WJ on Harmony was far better than any WJ experience before, so maybe it was just an overhaul of the entire WJ experience. Glad to hear!

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Are we talking about breakfast??!....cause I have yet to be on a ship that WJ is not insane during breakfast time...rest of the day I don't find too bad to be honest.

I know on Harmony there are some other options for breakfast but I am interested to hear that it wasn't crazy in the WJ.

Agreed that breakfast can be insane, but we always found lunch to be more stressful. Our experience on Harmony was that breakfast in the WJ was much more subdued than past experiences. It might be that breakfast is offered in the main dining room, the Park Cafe on deck 8, at Johnny Rockets and at Starbucks so there were more options.

If you want a subdued breakfast experience, I would highly recommend the Park Cafe in central park. It was a great option for our family and far less cumbersome than having to go all the way up to WJ. The main dining room is always great too, but this was the first time we never ate breakfast in the MDR.

Just now, KLA said:

It's been a bit over a year since the last time I was on Allure, but I was always quite happy with meals in the Windjammer. Then again, I'm really not a super hard to please person and am generally just glad to be on a ship. ? 

Haha, I would agree - step on any ship and it's like happiness level immediately ramps up. From what I can tell, it sounds like the Windjammer experience has overall increased across the board over the last five or so years.

Just now, b_resh_uh said:

Haha, I would agree - step on any ship and it's like happiness level immediately ramps up. From what I can tell, it sounds like the Windjammer experience has overall increased across the board over the last five or so years.

I think they've absolutely made an effort here, similar to stepping up their Sorrento's pizza efforts. I've never had an issue finding something to eat on board. 

Absolutely! My wife has a gluten intolerance and was so happy to learn that they have a GF crust option at Sorrento's.

Oh yeah I bet - I know I've seen some pretty nice looking GF selections in the Windjammer recently as well. 

56 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

SO excited for JR's for breakfast to be honest....so hoping that its not too busy there each morning!

The one time we went was a cruising day, it was as if no one on board knew it was open as it was about half full. I seriously think half the people who go there are across the deck at Starbucks and go "huh, JR's is open for breakfast. Let's eat there real quick." Good diner breakfast at a nominal fee.

WJ has always been hit or miss.  But it serves it's purpose.  A casual place to have a quick meal so you can enjoy your next activity. 

On port days, we like to grab yogurt, fruit and maybe a croissant at Park Café.  Something that isn't heavy so we won't feel sluggish while at port. 

5 minutes ago, KLA said:

My favorite spot for breakfast on Allure was actually in the Solarium Bistro - a bit quieter than the Windjammer, and usually has slightly lighter fare. 

I've never really explored the Solarium on any of the ships I've been on come to think of it. Solarium is adults only correct?

I've never really explored the Solarium on any of the ships I've been on come to think of it. Solarium is adults only correct?

Yep - 16+. But I think if kids are just going in there to eat rather than say, jump around the pools and run around and make a bunch of noise it's probably fine.

Just now, Rose City Cruiser said:

Solarium was great place to grab a bite on embarkation day. 

This is a good point - probably not as many people going that direction as opposed to the Windjammer. Same reason why people recommend Park Cafe for embarkation. 

I can reply to the Allure WJ as I was on it wk 1/27. Had breakfast & lunch there. As for the food it was good at least what I tried. My general thoughts is it's a little hetic sometimes with everyone running around trying to find a table & getting food. Now when they had staff seating people it was great & things went more smoothly as everyone wasn't going helter skelter as all they had to do was go get food & not worry about where they were sitting. In my opinion they need to do this all the time when it's busy.

8 hours ago, b_resh_uh said:
8 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Ok... This above is what happens when you try to quote a bunch of people at one lol!  I'm not a breakfast person at all, AT ALL in caps!  I can't even say how excited I am to try Park Cafe (right near our interior room), solarium bistro and Johnny rockets all for breakfast!!  Oh yeah, and I hear there are donuts too.  I'm so excited...can I just board allure today because I might not make it 3 weeks!!!! Jane