Summit Revolution

JLMoran

As you probably know, Celebrity Summit has started her Revolution upgrades. I went onto the X site today to do my usual price check (still no drops for the 2020 Iceland and Greenland sailing ?), and saw that the new deck plans are now shown if you go to do a mock booking on Celebrity's site. In the course of doing my usual mock booking, I saw the new Interior cabins on decks 6, 7, 8, and 9 where the iLounge, Acupuncture, and Library spaces used to be. These are the same new interiors that have been added to Millennium in the process of her refurbishment.

I actually emailed my TA and requested a transfer to cabins 7903 and 7905 on deck 7, where the Acupuncture room used to be. Even though there were no noise complaints, I wasn't totally thrilled with being booked right under the pool on deck 9, just because it's a bit higher up than I'd like to be. Now we're basically dead center on the ship (maybe a bit aft, but close enough), with passenger decks above and below. Yes, they're right where the elevator bank is but I'm OK with that. Been close to the elevators on Freedom and Anthem (cabin on Anthem was actually right at the hallway entrance to the elevator bank and stairwell) and never had problems with noise leaking through the door, so I'm not particularly concerned with it in this case; I'm assuming cabins on X are even more soundproofed than the ones on Royal's ships.

Just glad I could snag that before anyone else might! ?

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

The iLounge was always a curiosity and on my sailing empty.  No surprise it's gone.

I was actually less surprised by the presence of the iLounge than I was by the on-board acupuncture clinic. With how expensive the spa can be, I can't begin to imagine what they were charging for a 30-minute acupuncture treatment.*

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm not sure that X carries more soundproofing.  Any ship regardless of the sign on the stacks has to balance weight with function.

Fair point. I certainly doubt it will be any less. I've been in busy locations on both of my sailings so far and never heard noise bleed through the cabin door. So still not a thing I'll be worrying about.

* I've had acupuncture done by a licensed acupuncturist, and it really does work wonders -- I severely hurt my neck in a martial arts class accident over 20 years ago, and three weeks of chiropractic treatments were barely getting me anywhere. Did one acupuncture session right before my next chiropractic appointment, and my chiropractor was as stunned as I was by the improvement in my range of motion and reduction in pain. Even so, the idea of an acupuncture clinic on a ship just makes me shake my head. That place must have been empty even more than the iLounge.

2 hours ago, melmar02 said:

I feel the same about the men's shaving services in the spa. I always wondered if they cancelled appointments in rough seas. ? 

Interesting that you mention this.  We have been playing  poker nightly with a man who visited the ship’s barber earlier this week.  The seas coming out of Bayonne were a little rough but not horrible. He laughed and asked the barber to please NOT use a straight razor.  We all laughed.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:29 PM, JLMoran said:

Celebrity Summit has started her Revolution upgrades

Joe, just saw her in drydock  last week in Freeport, right next to Navigator.  I am very excited god willing to see her May 12th!  I'm glad you were able to switch rooms too!

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Heading out in 41 days, I will take pics for you if you want me to.  Looking forward to it!  We need it bad!

I've been getting lots and lots of pics and even videos are coming out. CruiseRadio just put out a nice video summarizing the changes after they took a short sailing on her. Here's the link:

17 hours ago, JLMoran said:

CruiseRadio just put out a nice video summarizing the changes after they took a short sailing on her.

I saw this one already.  It was very nice and compact which I liked.  It's funny Luminae doesn't look that different though, looks like same chairs. Could be wrong! LOL

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Travel forever said:

Would love to see what they look like as I can't find any online anywhere.

What type of cabins are they? I just got off the Summit last Sunday.  She does look beautiful.  They really stepped it up, service impeccable.  Food fabulous, even in Ocean Grill (Celebrity's version of Windjammer).  Lots to offer there too, desserts awesome!  I even had to send a pic to @Sweety a picture of her Red Velvet Cake! 

50 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

What type of cabins are they? I just got off the Summit last Sunday.  She does look beautiful.  They really stepped it up, service impeccable.  Food fabulous, even in Ocean Grill (Celebrity's version of Windjammer).  Lots to offer there too, desserts awesome!  I even had to send a pic to @Sweety a picture of her Red Velvet Cake! 

Yes, Boston Babe gave me some love!!

3 hours ago, Travel forever said:

Do you happen to have any photos of cabins 7905 and 7903?  Would love to see what they look like as I can't find any online anywhere.

Thanks!

My family and I are actually staying in these same two cabins for my 2020 Greenland & Iceland sailing! No photos of the interior, but AFAIK they are the same as any other inside room. So if you can find some photos or video of an inside cabin post-Revolution, you should have a pretty good idea.

@Boston Babe, these are some of the new inside cabins that were added on decks 6, 7, and 8 in place of the library, iLounge, and acupuncture clinic. They're similar to the cabins that are already there on Infinity and Constellation, but according to the deck plan images they appear to be the same size as other inside cabins, where the ones on Infinity and Constellation are demonstrably larger. Suspicion why is that the new cabins have a partition wall with fire / emergency doors to give some separation from the elevator bay that's right in front of these rooms. Here's a picture I found on one of the other sites:

Summit-rooms-7901-7905-exterior.jpg.5a76f1a653174e667c232a60cdad1a6f.jpg

Infinity and Constellation don't have that separation, so while the cabins are larger they get all the noise and traffic disruption from the elevators, not to mention a bit of lacking privacy from the crowd when the door opens.

2 hours ago, Travel forever said:

Oh that's a great shot!  I've never seen this photo before.  We are going on the Infinity this summer in those cabins.  It sounds like they open to the elevators but are larger?  Just so curious about what it looks like inside. 

Thanks!

My understanding with those cabins on Infinity is that they do indeed open directly onto the elevator lobby, since they were installed when Infinity had its prior refurbishment. (maybe as part of the "Solsticization" effort when the M-class ships were given Solstice-class amentities?)

The thread on the other site where I found that photo included a comment from someone who had sailed Infinity and Constellation and said that the cabins are indeed larger than a regular inside cabin on those ships, and that's why the deck plans show them as visibly larger boxes compared to the ones for "regular" inside cabins. No mention of the difference in square footage, but looking at the deck plan for Infinity I can see the cabins are the same length but maybe 30% wider; probably not to scale, but it gives a rough idea.

If you compare against the deck plan for Summit, you can see that the cabins are both the same length and width as the "regular" inside cabins, and that next to 7905 is a smallish white "reserved" space that I've read might be an electrical closet, or possibly a storage room or other crew-only space.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:41 AM, Pima1988 said:

Kind of laughing because we are all fearful of acupuncture or shaving on a ship, but on Virgin's new cruise ship they will have tattoo artists.  Sorry, but that is the one that really makes me shake my head.  

I understand folks' knee-jerk reactions to this, but I've done multiple crossings, been around many storms, etc - never were the conditions rough in a way that I felt it would be harder to write, which seems a reasonable way to gauge how the affect would be tattooing.

2 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

I understand folks' knee-jerk reactions to this, but I've done multiple crossings, been around many storms, etc - never were the conditions rough in a way that I felt it would be harder to write, which seems a reasonable way to gauge how the affect would be tattooing.

I think the bigger impact of tattooing is the whole "don't go in the water" for a while aspect.  No hot tubs, no pools, no ocean, etc.

As you indicate, motion usually isn't like that most of the time.  Any ship can experience some swell that causes shows to be postponed, etc, but most days motion wouldn't impact these activities. No regerts.  

14 hours ago, twangster said:

I think the bigger impact of tattooing is the whole "don't go in the water" for a while aspect.  No hot tubs, no pools, no ocean, etc.

As you indicate, motion usually isn't like that most of the time.  Any ship can experience some swell that causes shows to be postponed, etc, but most days motion wouldn't impact these activities. No regerts.  

Agreed.  This was my first thought as well  (wrote about it here).  I suspect that for this reason it will be more popular towards the end of cruises.  That said, there are some (like me) who don't end up going int he water at all on a cruise.  I'm not averse to it (I swam competitively and love the water), I just spend my cruise time differently.  Maybe I'll find out if they have day one specials for this reason ?