Planing first time solo cruise questions

TravisMA81

I'm trying to get an idea of the total cost of one of the Caribbean cruises from December this year to Feb next year.  I plan on getting a hold of a travel agent to help I just want to see if I could find one under $2,000.  A lot of the trips at that time are $500-700 per person with others a lot more.  A plane ticket for me would be around $500.  A cruise Jan 2020 on Liberty of the western Caribbean with interior room is $1,300 with the discounts for one passenger.  What other fees are added to the cost that I might not know about being a first timer?  I would plan to get the deluxe drink package and do some of the excursions.  What would a TA's discounts be like?

Check out this blog post written by @Matt who runs this site:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/01/03/how-much-does-cruise-cost

"Discounts for one passenger" - There are no discounts for a solo traveler unless you find a "Studio" cabin designed for one guest.  They tend to run around 75% of the cost of double occupancy cabin.  For all other cabins a solo cruiser has to pay for the second guest who doesn't sail.  Granted you do not pay for the taxes and fees for that 'ghost' passenger.

A travel agent will be a great resource to walk you through booking your cruise.  MEI Travel who sponsors this site would be a great start.  

Welcome to the site!

I'll echo what @twangster said already and note that there are a lot of different sailings available at a variety of prices.  

You can easily find some under $2k, it's just a matter of where you want to go, when you want to go, staterooms, etc. 

You're on the right track to use a good travel agent.  Our site sponsor is MEI Travel and they are great at not only helping you find a great rate for your cruise, but helping plan your vacation all along the way.

One of the best ways to budget for a cruise is to plan the cruise as far as out as you can, and then make periodic pre-cruise purchases to help break up the total cost.