Chops question

kataz17

Has anyone ever successfully ordered and received an item in Chops that is not on the menu. We always looked forward to having the French Onion Soup, but that went away with their new menu quite some time ago. We don't go to the MDR, so wondering if we could order it when we dine in Chops? Yes, of course we can ask when we are there, but hate the embarrassment of being told no! So thought I would ask here first. 

3 hours ago, kataz17 said:

Has anyone ever successfully ordered and received an item in Chops that is not on the menu. We always looked forward to having the French Onion Soup, but that went away with their new menu quite some time ago. We don't go to the MDR, so wondering if we could order it when we dine in Chops? Yes, of course we can ask when we are there, but hate the embarrassment of being told no! So thought I would ask here first. 

I have not done anything like this myself, but I've been catching up on older episodes of the Podcast and Matt recommended going to the restaurant the day before your reservation and letting them know of your special request so that the chef can prepare it or arrange it for you, if it is within possibility. He was specifically getting a lunch menu item at dinner but I think it would relieve some of the embarrassment if you were able to stop by at a quiet time instead of having to "spring it on" your server at dinner. I hope you get your soup!!

We have been very successful in getting items in one specialty restaurant that is offered elsewhere.  For instance, I often order the cream of mushroom soup when I’m in the Coastal Kitchen or Jamies and they always accommodate my requests.  The French onion soup is readily available on the ship in different venues so I would not hesitate to ask for it if you want it.  Recently, we were very disappointed that queso fundido had been removed from the menu at Sabor on Navigator.  I asked if they serve it even though it was not on the menu and he said that, unfortunately, they could not. We were so disappointed. Then to our great surprise, the next evening, when we were at dinner at Chops, here comes a beautiful serving of queso fundido.  I guess they had “found” some and brought it to us.  What a wonderful surprise.  So it is possible to get items that are not on the menu -even if they have been removed from the menu.  You just have to ask !

37 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We have been very successful in getting items in one specialty restaurant that is offered elsewhere.  For instance, I often order the cream of mushroom soup when I’m in the Coastal Kitchen or Jamies and they always accommodate my requests.  The French onion soup is readily available on the ship in different venues so I would not hesitate to ask for it if you want it.  Recently, we were very disappointed that queso fundido had been removed from the menu at Sabor on Navigator.  I asked if they serve it even though it was not on the menu and he said that, unfortunately, they could not. We were so disappointed. Then to our great surprise, the next evening, when we were at dinner at Chops, here comes a beautiful serving of queso fundido.  I guess they had “found” some and brought it to us.  What a wonderful surprise.  So it is possible to get items that are not on the menu -even if they have been removed from the menu.  You just have to ask !

You may more disappointed to find out that Sabor's has been replaced with Hooked on the Navigator.  However we recently ate at Hooked on the Symphony and it was a great addition to the Specialty Restaurants.  The New England Clam Chowder as well as the Halibut was outstanding!  Maybe some good news is that they added a El Loco Fresh on the pool deck for some quick Mexican favorites.  It was also very good on the Symphony. 

2 hours ago, SouthernYankee said:

You may more disappointed to find out that Sabor's has been replaced with Hooked on the Navigator.  However we recently ate at Hooked on the Symphony and it was a great addition to the Specialty Restaurants.  The New England Clam Chowder as well as the Halibut was outstanding!  Maybe some good news is that they added a El Loco Fresh on the pool deck for some quick Mexican favorites.  It was also very good on the Symphony. 

Hmmm....I thought this might happen.  I love seafood so at least the swap was a good one, IMO. TBH, without queso fundido, Sabor was not that interesting to me anymore.