On Board Medical Care

The ship's medical center does not accept any insurance.  You pay out of pocket and if your insurance plan covers you, you have to submit any receipts to them for reimbursement.   

My US health care providers have never covered me out of the country but that is something you need to explore with your health care insurance provider.  

Emergency medical transportation is another important item to consider.  Those helicopter medical evacuations you sometimes see are not free.  They can cost tens of thousands.  You pay that, not the cruise line or the government.  

I purchase travel insurance to cover me when out of the country.  It includes some emergency medical transportation coverage. 

My separate insurance policy requires that I attempt to submit my receipts to my primary US health care insurance company.   Even though I know that claim would be denied, my travel insurance policy requires that denial letter before processing any claim.  

Royal's medical services aren't part of any provider network for direct billing, they work on a cash (Seapass) basis.  Some US insurance plans in the US will treat them as an out-of-network provider, others won't pay for any coverage outside the US.  Check with your individual provider to see which group it falls in.  But we're talking reimbursement, after you pay Royal and file a claim.

Trip insurance can vary but most of it is secondary coverage, meaning you have to submit your bill from Royal to your primary carrier and let them deny the claim or pay a small amount.  Then the travel insurance kicks in and pays according to its' schedule.

In short, you're on the hook for whatever Royal bills you - at least until you're reimbursed by your regular insurance or trip insurance.  So even if you settle your Seapass account in cash, you'll want to take a credit/debit card just in case you need the ship's doctor.

While you're looking at your policy, check to see how much it pays for air-evacuation.  It's literally a lifesaver, but the fees are incredible.  Trip insurance can cover up to $1Mil USD.