Example 10,362 for why trip insurance is a good idea

Medical condition puts a couple off of Allure OTS

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/morris/2019/02/25/nj-couple-pays-thousands-get-home-after-being-forced-off-royal-caribbean-cruise/2669094002/

I would think with 15 previous cruises under their belts they would have been more savvy about what can happen when traveling out of the country.  Guess they had just been really lucky to never have had an issue before.

Almost 50 cruises completed and I have never needed it.  I have an annual policy but one way to look at it - they have now broken even after saving the cost of insurance for the first 15 cruises.  

Me on the other hand figure my number is up after being lucky so many times so I don't cruise without.  It's just a matter of time...

Just now, KLA said:

Really starting to consider an annual plan - anyone have any recommendations? Taking a look at Allainz but I'd be interested to hear from people with more experience in researching these. 

I went with Allianz.  They have one annual plan that covers everyone in the household, otherwise each person needs a policy.  Options vary by state of residence so it becomes complicated to compare notes from me as a "westerner".  

Just now, twangster said:

I went with Allianz.  They have one annual plan that covers everyone in the household, otherwise each person needs a policy.  Options vary by state of residence so it becomes complicated to compare notes from me as a "westerner".  

Noted - I'll have to check that out, then. With moderate work travel + fun travel it's starting to sound like maybe a smart thing to do. 

Depending on if you travel exclusively outside the US or not, SevenCorners.com 's Wander annual plan is worth a look.  $1Mil medical reimbursement and $1Mil air evac, plus they even have "in network" providers in foreign countries (even here in the Philippines) that may accept assignment of claim up front (subject to subrogation from your primary coverage later).

The ancillary coverages (lost/late baggage, dental and  death/dismemberment) are kind of weak and there is no trip cancellation provision, but for less than $250 a year for trips up to 45 days outside the US, I thought it was decent.   It was a tossup between them and Allianz, hopefully I won't have to make a claim to see how good or bad this plan actually is.

We are cruising to New Caledonia next week and they have made it mandatory to have full travel insurance including repatriation coverage. Not having insurance may mean Customs may prevent you leaving the ship. This is a new policy from the New Caledonian authorities which is effective immediately and we received an email about it from RCI last week.

We have annual insurance so it wasn't a big deal for us but it was quite short notice for those who don't have it.

6 minutes ago, F1guynz said:

We are cruising to New Caledonia next week and they have made it mandatory to have full travel insurance including repatriation coverage. Not having insurance may mean Customs may prevent you leaving the ship. This is a new policy from the New Caledonian authorities which is effective immediately and we received an email about it from RCI last week.

We have annual insurance so it wasn't a big deal for us but it was quite short notice for those who don't have it.

Great information.  Did the email address type of repatriation coverage, i.e. - medical, or posthumous and did it address coverage levels required?

I'm leaving Friday for New Caledonia too, and got the same email. I did a one-shot with World Nomad policy so I wouldn't have to think about it too much. (Bonus ability to add a bit of extra coverage for the hubs camera too.)

I will probably need to look into an annual plan... stupid "being a responsible adult"! ? 

2 hours ago, Fuzzywuzzy said:

And if they had not been put ashore and the condition became horribly more serious while onboard,  guess whose fault they would say that was.

Very true - Royal certainly wouldn't want to end up with a dead body on the ship because the lady got much worse.  Though, I was kinda surprised that they arranged taxi and air travel rather that transport to a local hospital on the mainland.

10 minutes ago, ultimate_ed said:

Though, I was kinda surprised that they arranged taxi and air travel rather that transport to a local hospital on the mainland.

They refused going to a hospital. Royal might have been required to prove that they planned on leaving the country.

Instead of going to a hospital, the Palks opted to return to the United States.

So the ship's staff arranged for a $600 taxi to Cancún and two flights: one from Cancún to Mexico City and one from Mexico City to Miami

4 hours ago, KLA said:

Really starting to consider an annual plan - anyone have any recommendations? Taking a look at Allainz but I'd be interested to hear from people with more experience in researching these. 

We have the annual family plan (covers me, my hubs & 2 college boys) from Allianz - I think it's the Premier plan.  We got 4 cruises and a study abroad out of our $450.  We did need it coming back from the Super Bowl Group Cruise and they paid our claim in full within 2 weeks. 

The article has some gaps in it.  It also quotes the doctor as saying "we are kicking you off the ship" in quotes.  No doctor is going to say that, not those words anyways.  

The article is written from their perspective which is biased towards their perspective.  Perhaps it is 100% accurate, or perhaps it suits their (and Walker's) purpose.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

The article has some gaps in it.  It also quotes the doctor as saying "we are kicking you off the ship" in quotes.  No doctor is going to say that, not those words anyways.  

The article is written from their perspective which is biased towards their perspective.  Perhaps it is 100% accurate, or perhaps it suits their (and Walker's) purpose.

Thank you for putting more eloquently what I was thinking.

13 hours ago, twangster said:

I agree it was certainly slanted by the "journalist" to emphasize the couple's view of how things were handled.  I did notice there was a quote from a Royal Caribbean spokesperson, but I wonder how much of the full response wasn't included in the article.  It seemed like the spokesperson would have had more to say about the matter.

I see it's now been picked up by Yahoo news.  Most of the comments there aren't terribly sympathetic to the couple and that was my feeling as well.  I'm sure the couple and the paper were digging for sympathy over mistreatment by some faceless big corporation.  Instead, they are mostly getting responses along they lines of them being adults who should have planned better.  Of course, there are the usual horde of comments about what a terribly idea cruising is, and this story just fuels their animus.

3 hours ago, OrlandoC said:

I stopped reading after the author started talking about their dangerous drive through a "Level 2 alert area". 

And not mentioning that Level 2 is the second lowest level which is also given to the "dangerous" countries of Germany, Denmark, and the UK. 

I agree with you as my family of 5 usually spend 2 weeks per year in this highly dangerous area.  I probably shouldn't risk my children's lives by taking them on vacation any more and just leave them home with grandma.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:01 PM, twangster said:

"Walkers purpose". Let me ask you this. Does this look like the offices of a serious professional litigator or the facade of a Miami comedy club?

11406663_864690796912511_1940620214020722318_o.jpg

46 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Because I'm new to cruising. I want to ask. Where do you get this insurance?  I've never knew that this could happen. Shocks me.

Search the internet for 'travel insurance'.  Several companies offer different polices to suit the coverage you may need.  Your country and/or state of residence will dictate what types of coverage is available for you.  If you used a travel agent they can probably assist as well.  

On 2/25/2019 at 4:04 PM, KLA said:

Did not realize that was an option!  Thank you @KLA& @twangster!!!!!  Looking at the prices it actually makes sense to just do the annual plan!  This is the reason why I love this board!