Question about specialty restaurants

hoofbeats95

In the case of Giovanni's, Jamie's, Chops, Izumi Teppanyaki, Johnny Rockets, Sabor, Samba Grill, Wonderland, and 150 Central Park it a set a fee plus 18% gratuity. Unless it is listed other wise on the menu all food is covered by that one fee.

For Izumi sushi, Playmakers, and the food sold in the pub on Quantum class, it is a la carte pricing plus the 18% gratuity. Also Solarium Bistro at night is complementary with a few entrees that are an additional fee.

35 minutes ago, RickM58 said:

I had the same question....so my assumption is that the fee I paid for a specialty restaurant will include the 18% gratuity, and will not show up on my card at the end of the cruise.  Is that the general opinion?

Yes, that is the correct assumption, but I always add a little to the ticket especially if I'm receiving exceptional service.

1 hour ago, RickM58 said:

I had the same question....so my assumption is that the fee I paid for a specialty restaurant will include the 18% gratuity, and will not show up on my card at the end of the cruise.  Is that the general opinion?

It's true if you purchase your specialty dining BEFORE you cruise, through the cruise planner.  If you purchase your specialty dining onboard, you will pay an additional 18% grat.  It's one of the advantages of purchasing before boarding.

10 hours ago, janderson said:

I have never been on a cruise and my first is in November on Navigator.  How does the dining package work?  Someone told me you can order as many appetizers and desserts that you want but just one main course per person.  Is this correct?

If you purchase a separate dining package, the above is, in general, true.  But there is no requirement to purchase a dining package.  You can eat all of your meals in the Main Dining Room (MDR) at no additional charge.  When you eat in the MDR you can have as many entrees, sides, desserts as you like.  There is no limit to what you can have from the MDR menu.  Dining packages are available, if you choose to NOT eat in the MDR but it is not a requirement to purchase ANY food on board the ship.

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you purchase a separate dining package, the above is, in general, true.  But there is no requirement to purchase a dining package.  You can eat all of your meals in the Main Dining Room (MDR) at no additional charge.  When you eat in the MDR you can have as many entrees, sides, desserts as you like.  There is no limit to what you can have from the MDR menu.  Dining packages are available, if you choose to NOT eat in the MDR but it is not a requirement to purchase ANY food on board the ship.

Is there a limit to what I can order though.  If I wanted to try 2 of the appetizers or something of that nature?  I believe I have heard Matt say 1 main course but I've heard others say the appetizers and desserts are as many as you want.  The drink package is so straight forward with its rules but this dining package is kind of confusing.

34 minutes ago, janderson said:

Is there a limit to what I can order though.  If I wanted to try 2 of the appetizers or something of that nature?  I believe I have heard Matt say 1 main course but I've heard others say the appetizers and desserts are as many as you want.  The drink package is so straight forward with its rules but this dining package is kind of confusing.

In the MDR there is no limit. You can have as much of whatever you want - absolutely unlimited.  If you go to a specialty restaurant (pay restaurant) there is usually a limit of 1 entree.  Giovanni's is a notable exception where they will allow you to try more than 1 entree.  But for most of the specialty restaurants you are limited to 1 entree with the ability to order more than 1 appetizer, sides and/or desserts.

36 minutes ago, janderson said:

You can order as many appetizers, entrees, side dishes or desserts as you like. The only restaurant that limits you to one entree is Chops (and I suppose Chef's Table or hibachi, but those are different experiences)

1 minute ago, Matt said:

You can order as many appetizers, entrees, side dishes or desserts as you like. The only restaurant that limits you to one entree is Chops (and I suppose Chef's Table or hibachi, but those are different experiences)

Awesome!  Thank you Matt.

I purchased the Izumi Hibachi dinners; the menu shows all sorts of add-ons, but I'm curious as to what is included in the meal price.  Does it comprise an appetizer, main course with veggies/rice cooked in front of us, and then dessert?  Some of the add-ons look interesting, but I'm looking forward to the Hibachi experience itself.  I assume we can order those add-ons when we get there?

I purchased the dining package for my March 30 cruise on Anthem and when I tried to reserve specialty dining restaurants online, I was prompted to pay the charge for the restaurant...so I logged out and came here to ask;

Will I be charged for the purchase now...or will it recognize that I have the package and not charge me? Or do I pay now and be reimbursed? Or must I wait until I board to make my specialty reservations?

Thank you!

38 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I purchased the dining package for my March 30 cruise on Anthem and when I tried to reserve specialty dining restaurants online, I was prompted to pay the charge for the restaurant...so I logged out and came here to ask;

Will I be charged for the purchase now...or will it recognize that I have the package and not charge me? Or do I pay now and be reimbursed? Or must I wait until I board to make my specialty reservations?

Thank you!

The system is dumb, it will actually charge you if you go through with booking the restaurants now despite having the package.

With the package, you have to book your reservations once you get aboard.  They book one automatically for you, but you can override that once you're on the ship.  As soon as you step on, I'd make a beeline right for one of the restaurants (any of them can do all of your reservations) or look for somebody standing at a kiosk.  A lot of times they set one up near the entrance on boarding day.

18 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Thank you!

Great question !

If you make any precruise dining reservations (except for those that are complimentary already), you WILL be charged....

So if you have a specialty dining package, do NOT make any online specialty dining reservations before boarding.

When you pre-purchase a dining package at a discount, you are trading the freedom to pre-reserve your specialty dining venues for a reduced price on the meals.  BUT that doesn't mean that you will not be able to get the restaurants that you want on the date and time that you want them.  They will automatically make an arbitrary reservation for you at one of the specialty restaurants for the first night.  You will not know where or when that reservation is until you board.  Once you get on board, go directly to one of the specialty restaurants or to the kiosk that will be set up somewhere on the promenade or the Centrum (depending on which ship you are on) and you can confirm the reservation that they have already made for you or change it to something else if you wish.  You can also make all of the rest of your specialty dining reservations at that time.

So.....you must wait until you board to finalize your specialty dining plans.  It is helpful if you have a good idea of what restaurants and what times you want to eat.  That will make the reservations process faster and less frustrating for you and for the person making your reservations !