buyer beware

pyramid

hey guys just got back from freedom of the seas,cruise,,it was fantastic,,but I want to warn every one about two unscrupulous characters on the ship,,,,they work in the Regalia jewerly store,,,Tyson is the name of one of the guys the other guy goes by the nickname Vin...they tried to sell me a diamond ring for $14,000 dollars,,I hesitated and they brought the price down to $8,000 dollars,,I was still suspicious,,so at final they sold it to me for $6,700 dollars,,,no tax remember?  they swore it would be worth more in the states and to prove it gave me a certificate ( not GIA Certified ) that if I found it to be worth less they would make it right...I have called Kallati jewelery the company who makes the ring,,no response..the ring has apprasied for $3,200 dollars GIA certified in the states,,have called Royal Carribean,nothing they can do for me....please do not buy any jewelry from regalia,,or Royal Carribean you will be sorely dissapointed and will have no avenue for relief,,they know once you step foot off the ship,,your recourse for satifaction is severly limited....these two guys re highly polished and know how to sell the problem is the stuff they are selling is close to worthless........

Sorry to hear about your experience.

My advice about buying jewelry or art or pretty much anything else of value, but it because you like it and you think it would be a good fit for your collection.  Purchasing purely for value can lead to situations like this. 

Of course, hindsight is 20/20.  

My wife and I had a similar problem with a Tissot watch we bought for her years ago in a RC jewelry store.  The watch died after about 18 months and we took it to a good jewelry store in town.   The watch maker showed us the inside of the watch and explained why it was not a real Tissot.  I realize the money lost was considerably different from you but   we learned a valuable lesson on buying expensive items on the cruise boat.

My wife and I had a similar problem with a Tissot watch we bought for her years ago in a RC jewelry store. The watch died after about 18 months and we took it to a good jewelry store in town. The watch maker showed us the inside of the watch and explained why it was not a real Tissot. I realize the money lost was considerably different from you but we learned a valuable lesson on buying expensive items on the cruise boat.

This bothers me, charging too much is one thing, selling a fake is another.

Especially considering they are a authorised dealer, I'm assuming they are, iv seen Tissot sold on the ships.

Did you get papers with a serial number? I'm not sure if parts of the movement were replaced or if the whole watch is a fake, either way it's bad.

I'd get a hold of Tissot and say WTF, they would be furious to know that. Maybe a RC employee did a switch, not sure, but it's a very big deal.

Being a big watch nut I chuckle to myself when I see them peddle weak brands as high end, and they definitely do. Cheaply made watches marked down to high prices.

Selling Chinese watches as high end Swiss happens. The US has relaxed laws towards this, put in a small Swiss part on a Chinese watch and it's 'Swiss made'. That's one thing, pushing replicas as original is another.

Tissot is a quality brand, not top of the line but very respectable. Good choice for a affordable well made watch. Selling fakes would be a whole new low for RC, assuming it's true. I'd definitely let Tissot know of this.

This bothers me, charging too much is one thing, selling a fake is another.

Especially considering they are a authorised dealer, I'm assuming they are, iv seen Tissot sold on the ships.

Did you get papers with a serial number? I'm not sure if parts of the movement were replaced or if the whole watch is a fake, either way it's bad.

I'd get a hold of Tissot and say WTF, they would be furious to know that. Maybe a RC employee did a switch, not sure, but it's a very big deal.

Being a big watch nut I chuckle to myself when I see them peddle weak brands as high end, and they definitely do. Cheaply made watches marked down to high prices.

Selling Chinese watches as high end Swiss happens. The US has relaxed laws towards this, put in a small Swiss part on a Chinese watch and it's 'Swiss made'. That's one thing, pushing replicas as original is another.

Tissot is a quality brand, not top of the line but very respectable. Good choice for a affordable well made watch. Selling fakes would be a whole new low for RC, assuming it's true. I'd definitely let Tissot know of this.

Jerel ....I understand what you saying but we took several factors into account before writing letters etc etc.   The watch itself wasn't all that expensive,  the time from when we bought it and when it broke, and all the hoops one has to jump through to even be considered for a refund and I m not sure we still had the paperwork at the time. Now when I look back i m not sure which RC cruise boat it was on.  About the only thing we would buy from the cruise shops would be liquor.   Has anyone on here gone through the steps of trying to get a refund for items bought on a cruise ship?  I would like to hear your story....Thanks ...Mike

I can definitely relate, as time goes by it just makes it that much harder. Lesson learned I guess.

Jerel ....I understand what you saying but we took several factors into account before writing letters etc etc.   The watch itself wasn't all that expensive,  the time from when wlearnede bought it and when it broke, and all the hoops one has to jump through to even be considered for a refund and I m not sure we still had the paperwork at the time. Now when I look back i m not sure which RC cruise boat it was on.  About the only thing we would buy from the cruise shops would be liquor.   Has anyone on here gone through the steps of trying to get a refund for items bought on a cruise ship?  I would like to hear your story....Thanks ...Mike

• 2 months later...

I have a hard time buying merchandise onboard.  

Watches for example:  If you could take the time to add up the "original" prices of the hundreds of watches layed out on that table in the middle of the Promenade, the number would be HUGE!  I then look at this and say 1) if there was really that big a dollar value on that table, would they really have only two employees watching all of it while hundreds and hundreds of people crowd past, pick up, try on, etc?  And then 2) I watch them take all this dollar value, stack it in cardboard boxes, then stack those in a closet.  I know its a closed environment and all, but it just doesn't add up to me.

I happen to like Invicta watches.  I know they are not really high end watches (although Royal and Invicta want you to think they are) and the list prices are laughable, but I like them.  That said, I have never bought one on board.  Each of mine have come from Amazon for half or less of the "sale price" onboard. 

Sorry, guess I'm in a skeptical mood this evening!  ;)

I have a hard time buying merchandise onboard.  

Watches for example:  If you could take the time to add up the "original" prices of the hundreds of watches layed out on that table in the middle of the Promenade, the number would be HUGE!  I then look at this and say 1) if there was really that big a dollar value on that table, would they really have only two employees watching all of it while hundreds and hundreds of people crowd past, pick up, try on, etc?  And then 2) I watch them take all this dollar value, stack it in cardboard boxes, then stack those in a closet.  I know its a closed environment and all, but it just doesn't add up to me.

I happen to like Invicta watches.  I know they are not really high end watches (although Royal and Invicta want you to think they are) and the list prices are laughable, but I like them.  That said, I have never bought one on board.  Each of mine have come from Amazon for half or less of the "sale price" onboard. 

Sorry, guess I'm in a skeptical mood this evening!   ;)

I tend to agree.  Same goes for art. 

In general, I believe the reason to buy merchandise onboard is because you like it, not because there's perceived value.

It also helps if you educate yourself on what items go for before getting onboard, if possible.

You have to know the prices.....I have a nice collection of fossil watches, so I know the prices pretty well here in Canada and the US.

Their fossil "sale" is a joke...about double what I paid for the same watch at an outlet in Florida. Even from back home here in Canada paying full pop and with exchange it was hardly a deal.

Buyer beware for all that stuff they list as "high end" on sale.......

If you go in to the cruise ahead of time knowing what's available on board and knowing comparatively how much it's priced on land, you can land some good deals. I've had great luck with perfume on board, and my fiance picked up some Oakleys that were priced same as retail but was happy to pay for duty free. I guess with a lot of things, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. 

On a happier note, at the Michael Kors grand opening on Oasis, they had many things half off that were still retail at all the big department stores.

I wouldn't have expected that - that's pretty neat! 

I bought an S.Coifman watch on the Explorer 2 years ago.  Turned out to be an excellent watch.  When shopping onboard, go on wifi and check the model # out on Amazon.  Even if they don't have the exact watch, look at similar to compare prices.  The Coifman was in the ok range price wise.  Like all (except maybe Tag) their watches, it's grey goods (not standard MFG warranty).  Ask to see the warranty card and that's how you tell.

Some of the warranty cards are only valid if they if they stamp their retailer authorization on it if you see a MFG warranty card.  eg. Tissot 

Edited by GrandPa

1) if there was really that big a dollar value on that table, would they really have only two employees watching all of it while hundreds and hundreds of people crowd past, pick up, try on, etc? 

On my last cruise, they had all their Citizen and similar watches out on the Royal Promenade. I was browsing them, curious to see whether they were still selling the model of watch I bought onboard several years ago, and a woman next to me pointed out to the employee that one of the display boxes was missing its watch. It would seem that someone, indeed, did abscond with it.

The employee did seem a bit perplexed, but I would have to imagine that it happens with enough regularity that they probably have these displays set up in good views of several cameras so they can review footage later on.

• 3 months later...

I am sorry that some of you have experienced issues with your purchases on board. I agree with the comment that you buy something that you like understanding that the value, might not be as stated. My Wife and I collect quite a bit of Jewlery and watches. Just something we enjoy doing and also as an investment. We never come back from a cruise having bought something we like on board or on land. I would suggest that with my iPhone I can get an understanding of what the true value is of a watch that I am looking at and whether I am getting a good deal or not. With Jewlery, we stick to brands we know and like. I always have replacement value appraisals done on my return from a cruise (knock on wood) we have always come out on the winning end. With that said, some deals are much better than others and we stick with locations that we have shopped before or we have checked on line. With the internet there a lot of information to let me know the price I should pay especially for watches. I am still very cautious when I buy something on board or on land. 

I have also used the price that I found on land to buy a watch, because I negotiated based off a price I found in the states. Time of year matters as well. At the end of a season in the Caribbean you can get some amazing deals. If there ship count is going down, the deals get much better. Shop with Caution and educate yourself before buying. Don't let them pressure you into buying something at a higher price than you are willing to pay. 

That is part or the problem with buying art or other high end items on cruise ships. I strongly believe if you want to purchase diamonds you can do much better over the internet. Now the risks is high if you do not do things right but if done correct almost no risk. First pay with a credit card and second buy only GIA certificated stones with the GIA (Gemological Institute of America) with this paperwork you can go to any jewelry store and know the stone (s)  are correct. If not as listed you dispute the charges. The saving will be very high and the risk much lower than cruise purchases.

Do you really think Cruise Lines sell stuff on the ships because they are great deals? No it is a big profit center for the company. And since you are dealing outside the United States very little protection for the customer. Good on cruises, have fun, buy your Art and jewelry from real off ship sellers.  

Here's a word of warning:

When u purchase jewelry or expensive watches (Breitling, IWC exc) on the Oasis, Allure (and I'm assuming more ships in the fleet have the high end Regalia store) you are forced to pay with your sail and sign account. The account will be red flagged to US customs. If you do not declare your purchase you will end up getting caught and fined. Trust me.

Regards,

Someone in the know

Don't do it !  The prices are outrageous !

LOL

I actually had good luck with the Michael Kors on Indy! I had my eye on a bag that I knew I wanted, and it was the same price on board as on land... plus, duty free! Fun souvenir. :) 

I've had good luck with some of the perfume and cosmetics on board as well - better prices. 

I'm sure jewelry and watches are something different entirely. 

Here's a word of warning:

When u purchase jewelry or expensive watches (Breitling, IWC exc) on the Oasis, Allure (and I'm assuming more ships in the fleet have the high end Regalia store) you are forced to pay with your sail and sign account. The account will be red flagged to US customs. If you do not declare your purchase you will end up getting caught and fined. Trust me.

Regards,

Someone in the know

That  assumes you are returning to a US Port. With over 50% of the passengers now International think needs to change.

Just find a Michael Kohrs outlet here in the US.  We have one here in PA.  All bags are always discounted and a percentage off on top of that -- many times 50-60%.  and some drop to clearance, with huge price drops and you still get the discount on top of that.  I have go super nice/big  Michael Kohrs bags for around $40. 

What about the purchases backed by RC on St Maarten? Do you trust your diamond purchases there? Are they really a good deal as advertised on the RC brochures?

Key is to do some research before you leave for what prices are going for.  There certainly can be deals out there, but if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

What about the purchases backed by RC on St Maarten? Do you trust your diamond purchases there? Are they really a good deal as advertised on the RC brochures?

Myself, I wouldn't buy something "high level" like diamonds on a cruise.  

We were wandering back to the ship in Cozumel a few weeks ago, and these brilliant dark orange stones in one store caught my eye.  I usually buy my wife something on each cruise, and we hadn't seen anything interesting thus far, so I inquired about the price.  We dickered, I walked away, came back with some cash along with the credit card, and the salesman and I came to "an understanding".  I wound up buying a Mexican Fire Opal ring and earrings for about $600.  

If I brought them back to the states and a jeweler said they were only worth $100, I wouldn't be upset.  They are with the $600 to me for the memory, and for that moment, and for how beautiful they are as-is.  And it's such an unusual stone when my wife brought the ring in for resizing when we got home all the jewelers in the store had to check it out...they "oohed and ahhhed" over it, as they hadn't seen that type of stone in person before.

Now, if I bought a generic diamond ring for $5,000 and brought it home to find it was only worth a grand.... I'd be ticked.  A diamond is...generic.  I can get them at home, with the usual assurances that it is what it's supposed to be.  You don't get that in a cruise port, no matter what the marketing says.

Buy something "unusual".  Something that allows you to re-live a memory each time someone says "wow, I've never seen such a beautiful stone, and what an unusual color!".

MEN:  this is what they look like:  mexican-opal-ring.jpg  Buy them.  Trust me.   :)

Myself, I wouldn't buy something "high level" like diamonds on a cruise.  

We were wandering back to the ship in Cozumel a few weeks ago, and these brilliant dark orange stones in one store caught my eye.  I usually buy my wife something on each cruise, and we hadn't seen anything interesting thus far, so I inquired about the price.  We dickered, I walked away, came back with some cash along with the credit card, and the salesman and I came to "an understanding".  I wound up buying a Mexican Fire Opal ring and earrings for about $600.  

If I brought them back to the states and a jeweler said they were only worth $100, I wouldn't be upset.  They are with the $600 to me for the memory, and for that moment, and for how beautiful they are as-is.  And it's such an unusual stone when my wife brought the ring in for resizing when we got home all the jewelers in the store had to check it out...they "oohed and ahhhed" over it, as they hadn't seen that type of stone in person before.

Now, if I bought a generic diamond ring for $5,000 and brought it home to find it was only worth a grand.... I'd be ticked.  A diamond is...generic.  I can get them at home, with the usual assurances that it is what it's supposed to be.  You don't get that in a cruise port, no matter what the marketing says.

Buy something "unusual".  Something that allows you to re-live a memory each time someone says "wow, I've never seen such a beautiful stone, and what an unusual color!".

MEN:  this is what they look like:  mexican-opal-ring.jpg  Buy them.  Trust me.   :)

Well put...thank you. That type buy suits me best anyways with the heart, not loads of money to lose and major diamond items from places I know better.Generally don't trust ungoogled items for purchase. :-D Ring is gorgeous by the way :-D

I actually had good luck with the Michael Kors on Indy! I had my eye on a bag that I knew I wanted, and it was the same price on board as on land... plus, duty free! Fun souvenir. :)

I've had good luck with some of the perfume and cosmetics on board as well - better prices. 

I'm sure jewelry and watches are something different entirely. 

Yes, I believe Michael Kors can be better researched so you feel good about the purchase when you make it. That store interested me.

I will never pay retail price for anything I buy. All merchandise has to be at least 50% off. I shop at the Outlet Malls, unfortunately a lot of them have their inventory made just for the outlet store. It is lesser quality merchandise. I usually buy my MK handbags online at his store in the clearance section. I have gotten 2 of my 4 handbags for over 70% off. 

If I spend my money on Michael Kors handbags than I might not be able to take a cruise. Let's see, a cruise in one hand and a MK handbag in the other. I will pick the cruise every time.

Unfortunately Matt I spend my OBC in the casino. I just realized I have a handbag and shoe obsession and a gambling problem. Glad I am enjoying them.

Candie

The web is the best place to go when looking for price. But you always need to be smart, many fake or counterfeit items. So use your credit card and if item is fake dispute the charge, counterfeit means the credit card company refunds every time. With things like diamonds GIA certification. Retail diamonds are a triple key item (3 times the cost of the jewelry) and that is after going through several middleman. With web purchases the high costs of retail stores and several of these middle guys are cut out.

• 3 years later...

I made so many enemies on Harmony of the Seas.  I went to Amazon every time I was close to buying something and showed them the price which most of the time was half to one third of what they were charging on board.  Got the same response from every salesperson............it's a fake.  Needless to say, we didn't buy anything on board.  The sales people are very slick.  Did the same off the ship shopping for jewelry.  We did purchase a Fendi watch.  The store was asking $1,295.  We showed them an on line price $795 from a reputable state side jewelry store.  They finally said they would match the price as we were walking out, and we told them the price is now $750.  They eventually sold it to us for $750.  We were also interested in a ring on board Harmony.  They started at $10,700 on the first day of the cruise.  By the end of the cruise they were down to $3,395.  We didn't buy.  We checked out the jewelry store on line............terrible reviews.  Purchasing something on board or at Diamonds International or any of the other usual suspect jewelry stores is an emotional purchase.  The salespeople know it and they play on your emotions.  It's ok to purchase little trinkets.  Save the big time purchases for reputable state side merchants.  Other than that, the Harmony cruise was amazing. 

On 10/6/2015 at 7:25 PM, Matt said:

Sorry to hear about your experience.

My advice about buying jewelry or art or pretty much anything else of value, but it because you like it and you think it would be a good fit for your collection.  Purchasing purely for value can lead to situations like this. 

Of course, hindsight is 20/20.  

As for the artwork,  I agree on being careful what you buy and do your due diligence, BUT, Park West Galleries is extremely well know and I attest that you can actually find great artwork BUT make sure you get a Certificate of Authenticity. I've collected various pieces from different sources throughoutt the years and can tell you that one in particular which was bought on a cruise has increased in value dramatically. BUT, once again, do your due diligence.

8 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

As for the artwork,  I agree on being careful what you buy and do your due diligence, BUT, Park West Galleries is extremely well know and I attest that you can actually find great artwork BUT make sure you get a Certificate of Authenticity. I've collected various pieces from different sources throughoutt the years and can tell you that one in particular which was bought on a cruise has increased in value dramatically. BUT, once again, do your due diligence.

That reminds me of a question my wife had ...... how do you get the artwork home?  There's no way we could lug it on an airplane.

1 minute ago, coneyraven said:

That reminds me of a question my wife had ...... how do you get the artwork home?  There's no way we could lug it on an airplane.

There are several ways and it depends which piece you buy. It could be shipped home as part of the purchase or if it's a piece that they offer that you can take with you off the ship. Best way to get all you questions answered is to go the the art auction/seminar. It's free and they give FREE champagne!! Too bad I don't drink!!!  ?