Indecision runs rampant!

Angelicious

So, I’m agonizing over the decision to keep our soda packages, coffee card and package of water or maybe go for the refreshment package for my son and I.  I’m a single Mom with not much and I’m afraid to “take the plunge “ and spend the extra $100. Please, I need constructive practical advice to help me choose. I say constructive because I’ve been made to look like an idiot on other forums. Be kind.

Good question and one many people go through every cruise they take.

First of all, understand, you don't have to buy any beverage package.  

I'm not a soda drinker.  I often sail with no beverage package of any sort.  They have water, one or two juices and plain coffee included in your cruise fare.   I drink the tap water all the time and never have a problem.  

Do you or your son consume a lot of soda or other drinks?  

The reason to buy a drink package usually starts when the included beverages do not satisfy your needs.  I'm okay with plain coffee from the buffet.  It's included.  Some people love fancy coffee's and will drink several each day.  For them it's makes sense to consider a coffee card.  For me?  Not so much.  

If your son drinks a lot of soda (no judgement, he's your son) then getting a soda package for him might make sense.  

Unlike the deluxe alcohol packages, you and your son don't have to buy the same package.  If you love fancy coffee, see if the coffee card makes sense for you.  He can get no package or maybe the soda package.  

Most importantly, don't feel like you must get a beverage package.  

Nobody should be made to look like an idiot.  However, it’s hard to answer your question without knowing how much soda, coffee and water you and your son normally drink.  As for us...We always purchase the booze package...It’s worth it to us because we both like our specialty coffees in the morning...Three or four drinks during the day and we always grab bottles of water on our way back to the room to store in the fridge for shore days.  We also find that we will have another ice drink or two while sitting around the pool since we don’t have to worry about the bill.  You just need to ask yourself if the extra $100 would make your vacation more relaxing not having to worry about what you are drinking and how much.

Just now, Angelicious said:

@Psycho and Barb, you’re absolutely right about not enough information. I love my Coke Zero and caramel macchiatos, and my son loves mixing flavors with Sprite! I will need bottled water for port days for sure!

One thing to keep in mind is that if your son wants to use the freestyle machines, then you will need to get one of the drink packages (even if just the soda one) as he will need the special cup with the RFID chip in it. You can get a soda a la cart from a bar without the package but you need that cup to work the machines. 

Also I’m sorry that you were made to feel foolish on other forums, but we are much, MUCH nicer here and please feel free to ask as many questions as you’d like! There seems to be a lot less malicious snark here than other venues and it’s very refreshing. 

Just now, Angelicious said:

@Psycho and Barb, you’re absolutely right about not enough information. I love my Coke Zero and caramel macchiatos, and my son loves mixing flavors with Sprite! I will need bottled water for port days for sure!

Then we would think your son would be happy with the soda package...He could mix to his hearts content on the Freestyle machines.  Sounds like the refreshment package would work for you.?

I personally find a lot of value in the refreshment package, especially if you can get it on sale (lately a good price has been about $18/day).  While I enjoy the occasional drink, I am perfectly happy without alcohol on a cruise as well.  The refreshment package to me is good value because it allows me to get unlimited specialty coffee and unlimited bottles of water.  I can go through many in one day, port day or sea day.  With the coffee card, you have a limit.  And some drinks will cost you more than one punch on your card. 

Also note that with the refreshment package, you can purchase the non-alcoholic version of a drink and just add the liquor to it and pay for the shot.  This works well if it is just a drink with one shot of something, not drinks involving several different types of alcohol.

And it can be nasty out there, but you have found a great community here in the RC Blog message boards.

1 hour ago, Angelicious said:

So, I’m agonizing over the decision to keep our soda packages, coffee card and package of water or maybe go for the refreshment package for my son and I.  I’m a single Mom with not much and I’m afraid to “take the plunge “ and spend the extra $100. Please, I need constructive practical advice to help me choose. I say constructive because I’ve been made to look like an idiot on other forums. Be kind.

Welcome to the best forum around! @twangster and @SpeedNoodles have been helpful and fun while answering my questions here. Hope you and your son enjoy your trip!! Be sure to let us know!

Just now, PhantomWolf said:

Welcome to the best forum around! @twangster and @SpeedNoodles have been helpful and fun while answering my questions here. Hope you and your son enjoy your trip!! Be sure to let us know!

@twangster is such a valuable resource - I learn SO much from him.  The people here are SO great (which is why I booked one of the group cruises! lol)

@spiralqueen, I have purchased the soda packages for us both. Also the Evian package of 12 1L bottles and a coffee card for myself. I just wonder if that will be enough for us! Thank you for being so kind! This is an awesome group!

Oops! I don’t know how in the world I missed in your original post that you already got the soda package. The only change I would maybe recommend since I know the Evian is extremely expensive through the Royal Gifts thing is that Royal recently changed their policy to now allow you to carry on up to 12 bottles or cans of nonalcoholic drinks so you could bring your own 12 pack of water on if you wanted to save a little bit of money. The downside is that you would have to carry it on yourself and lug it around until rooms are open, but it would save you a decent amount. 

Personally, I don't think the beverage package is worth it; because, a person never consume the amount you pay for, on a daily basis. I myself don't drink sodas; however, if I did, I couldn't consume the amount to get my money worth...and keep in mind, the price you pay is daily for the duration of the cruise & you have to pay twice, because two to a cabin. I would strongly consider bringing your personal water on board(12 x 17oz bottles)…otherwise, they do have flavored water you can access anywhere, btw, paying for a drink or soda, every now & then is far more cost efficient than the package. It's like paying for unlimited data monthly, when you only use 5GB per month...know what I'm saying.  

I would suggest the soda package for your son and the refreshment package for you and here is why.  The coffee card doesn't save that much as Royal seems to have changed their policy so it's 1 punch for a small, 2 for a medium and 3 for a large.  If it doesn't have to be Evian for you just bottled water you can get all the bottled water you want with the refreshment package.  I would think that would almost be cheaper for you instead of buying a soda package, a water delivery and a coffee card. 

We aren't Coke drinkers so we don't use the soda package.  My kids drink the free stuff including milk except at dinner the one gets a soda and I just pay for that.  When traveling with my husband I get the booze package because I tend to drink more with him.  For my mom and kids trip I'm not getting any package but will bring a 12 pack of Pepsi on with us and that will keep us happy.  I also am considering pre-ordering a water package for that trip because water and Pepsi will work for us.  I think the water on Royal is expensive compared to other cruise lines.

We tend to purchase the refreshment package.  We will normally drink a cup or two of specialty coffees per day, along with 1 or 2 drinks from the freestyle machine.  I tend to drink a-lot of bottled water to make up for remainder of our purchase.  We buy a drink card (When available) or get a glass of adult beverage when the desire hits us as the drink package is not worth it for us.

can I stock up on bottled water this way?

With the refreshment package, I do this all the time.  Every time I go by a bar, I will ask for a bottle of water.  I stock them up in the room.  By the last day, Hubby says I need help and makes me stop.  lol

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

With the refreshment package, I do this all the time.  Every time I go by a bar, I will ask for a bottle of water.  I stock them up in the room.  By the last day, Hubby says I need help and makes me stop.  lol

Hubby says this also until he gets dry at night and chugs all the water in the fridge.

I'm a believer in drink pkgs because I also love to prepay...no surprise purchases at the end.  My teen was hit or miss with the refreshment pkg... My guess is that we broke pretty even with it or maybe lost a little.  This time she hasn't been clamoring for it, and since royal lets you bring a 12 pack of diet Coke on (and she doesn't mind carrying a regular tap water bottle) we probably won't get it.  What I'm rambling to say is that it probably won't make a huge difference either way.  If you purchase, pre book because it is definitely cheaper on a sale, but don't worry too much.  In the grand scheme of purchasing a big cruise, this is little stuff!  Have a great trip... I'm getting ready to get on Allure in 28 days for my first Oasis class cruise!  Can't wait!!!  Jane

Oh yeah... She did love the mocktails and I second the advice about the coffee card... It isn't as great a deal when you are counting each shot...   Jane

On 2/23/2019 at 8:34 PM, Angelicious said:

@spiralqueen, I have purchased the soda packages for us both. Also the Evian package of 12 1L bottles and a coffee card for myself. I just wonder if that will be enough for us! Thank you for being so kind! This is an awesome group!

What I did on the Oasis was got the refreshment package for me and the soda package for my Granddaughter.  With the refreshment package I was able to get all the specialty coffees that I wanted, all the bottle water that I wanted, soda, and several frozen N/A drinks. I did get the refreshment package on sale at $18/day so it was a win-win situation for us.

I know it's easy to get caught up in the drink package hype, but the reality is you do not need a drink package to have a great cruise.  Far from it, in fact. 

Drink packages exist to help sway folks who tend to drink a lot. Moreover, they also exist because it generates a lot of money for the cruise line.

Unless you are drinking 5 drinks covered with the drink package every day, I'd say skip it.  

3 hours ago, Angelicious said:

I just wanted to let y’all know that I made the decision to get myself the refreshment package and my son the soda package! Thanks for your help and your kindness! 

My kids LOVE being able to have a pop (I'm from Michigan, it's NOT soda! LOL) whenever they want when on a cruise.   The two of you will have a great time!  Cheers!