Some Questions Before Booking

StormHunter

HI everyone,

My wife, 2-year-old daughter and myself are just about ready to book a cruise sometime in October 2019. I'm all about pre-paying for stuff so I don't get a large bill at the end (happened in a previous Carnival cruise and almost ruined everything for ur) Other than anything I purchase on the ship and if I pay for gratuities up front, am I to expect anything else pop up on my final bill? Also, if I purchase the drink package, the gratuities that are included, will this also take care of the $14.50 per day, meaning, I wouldn't have to prepay for gratuities? Also, I don't drink at all, only my wife, does anybody think I could get around with just 1 drink package? Some Travel Agencies Websites, state if booking a Balcony or higher will offer to pre-pay gratuities, will this, in fact, mean I won't have to pay gratuities at all? One final question. I will book the cruise for the 3 of us, which we have US Passports, but in the meantime, I'm trying to convince my sister to come with us, which has a Portugal Passport, is there any problem at all with me adding her to our room in the future?

As you can see I have many questions, but I love seeing and listening to Matt and this here group seems amazing! We are very excited about this cruise and just want everything to go well. If there are any other tips that can be offered it would be most appreciated.

Thank You

Lots of questions but I will attempt to answer them.

The only thing that I didn't see you mention is booking shore excursions in advance.  Otherwise, I think almost everything will be included unless you choose to do specialty dining or any onboard activity that indicates it is at an extra charge like a cupcake decorating class for example.  Tips ($14.50 per day/person cover all gratuities expect bar staff and can be prepayed.  It sounds like you may have an opportunity to have them included avoiding this expense.  Gratuity will be added to any drink package or any drinks purchased without a drink package.  All adults of drinking age in the same room are required to purchase an alcohol package if one person purchases it unless you have a compelling reason like religous or medical for example.  You would need to call RC to book it this way as opposed to the cruise planner.  Lastly, if you think someone is going to be join you in your room add them when you book instead of adding them when they decide to join you.  It is far easier to drop them then add them to the reservation because it could significantly affect the price of the cruise to the current pricing when you add plus you might be subject to cancellation fees if you booked a nonrefundable fare.

I hope this answers all your questions and have fun.

One thing to keep in mind is, generally, for the TAs who say they will pay for your gratuities, this only refers to for the first 2 people even if there’s 3+ in a room. Also, from what I understand any OBC or TA gifts tend to hit your account after the first night of the cruise so don’t be alarmed if it’s not reflected in your account the first day.

Its true that by calling Royal you can avoid having to buy 2 deluxe drink packages if someone doesn’t drink, but they will pretty much always require the other adult to purchase the refreshment package instead. Because of this, IMO it’s best to call when the refreshment package is having a sale on the cruise planner. I’ve found that the alcohol package goes on sale  more than the nonalcoholic one. $20 is a great sale price now for the refreshment package. Others can tell you the range for the other one, but I don’t pay it much mind since I don’t drink. 

Welcome to the message boards!

The daily gratuities cover you for items such as cabin and dining service but it does not address bar service since some people may not drink anything with a charge.   

As far as beverages, from soda, to specialty coffee to alcohol, if you don't have a drink package, every purchased drink is subject to 18% gratuity charged when you pay for that drink.  When you purchase a drink package the price displayed is subject to the 18% gratuity (service charge) as you go through the check out process.  So you pay the 18% drink gratuity one way or another.  When you have a drink package they sometimes print a zero bill giving you an opportunity to tip even more that isn't required, you can simply sign and walk away knowing your drink already has gratuity included.  

In this manner the daily $14.50 gratuity is different than per drink gratuity.  So the $14.50 gratuity remains in effect if you buy a drink package.  Carnival is pretty much the same way (sailed 10 times with them).

In reference to your sister, be aware that just because a cabin can sleep 4 people, as the ship fills up they might not be able to accomodate her if you try add her at a later date.  Each section of the ship is associated with a lifeboat station.  Lifeboats have a finite capacity.  If a lot of people in your area add additional guests at a certain point the lifeboats for that area are full.  They can't continue to add people at this point even if cabins that can take 4 guests only have two guests booked, international regulations and conventions prohibit it because there would not be room in a lifeboat for her.  The cost to add an additional guest can vary but since you already have a 3rd guest often they will add a 4th at the price that the 3rd guest paid.  It depends.  As soon as she can commit, get her added to the reservation.  

Enjoy planning your cruise vacation, that's often half as much fun as the cruise itself.