Power strip/surge protector allowed on FOS?

baltodave

Hi Everyone,

We are going on Freedom of the Seas next week (March 3rd out of San Juan) and wanted to know if they will allow us to bring our powerstrip/surge protector.  This is the one we have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, we have brought it on previous cruises without any problems and wanted to know if there will be any issues bringing it on FOS.  If so, should we pack it in a carry-on or one of our large suitcases?

Thanks!

In my experience the security staff in San Juan are the toughest I've come across.  They aren't Royal or ship employees, but local 3rd party contractors who work that terminal. 

A new in the wrapper plain extension cord such as this was confiscated.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q68W2G/ref=twister_B07KYGWMMY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Ironically they gave me one of the very same on board when requested.  

They wanted to take my cell phone charger too because it was a European style. 

Try in your checked suitcase if you are going to try.   

Never ever take a surge protector on a cruise ship.  Surge protection works by detecting current relative to earth ground but there's literally no such thing when you are at sea.  Grounding works completely differently on a ship's electrical system and a surge protector can catch fire.  Therefore, for safety, all surge protectors are banned and because port staff aren't trained electricians, they often reject normal power strips as well.  If you really need one on board, just ask your stateroom attendant and they will provide something known to be ship safe.

6 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Never ever take a surge protector on a cruise ship.  Surge protection works by detecting current relative to earth ground but there's literally no such thing when you are at sea.  Grounding works completely differently on a ship's electrical system and a surge protector can catch fire.  Therefore, for safety, all surge protectors are banned and because port staff aren't trained electricians, they often reject normal power strips as well.  If you really need one on board, just ask your stateroom attendant and they will provide something known to be ship safe.

I purchased a travel adapter that said in the description it is also a surge protector and the security staff at port canaveral had allowed me to take the travel adapter on the cruise ship. 

This is the exact travel adapter that I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/EPICKA-Universal-Travel-Adapter-Power/dp/B078S3M2NX?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAINYWQL7SPW7D7JCA&tag=aboutcom02tripsavvy-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B078S3M2NX&ascsubtag=4136335|google.com|||74|2|

22 minutes ago, cobra614 said:

I bought this one. Think I will have any problems? It said it was cruise ship certified. 

Likely fine, but...

I think if you were to take 100 cruises it would be confiscated around 33 times, but that is simply a guess.  Here's why:

Security staff screening carry on and luggage are not electrical engineers who understand the nuance of why one item versus another item that both look identical are in fact different.    They simply see something that *could* be prohibited and since it looks like something they've been instructed to confiscate, they *might* confiscate it.  On any given Sunday you might be fine but then on another Saturday you might not.

Someone might offer "I've cruised before and mine wasn't taken"  (therefore it must be universally approved).  

With only a few cruises under my belt (around 45) I've gotten things on board several cruises and been randomly denied on several cruises.  Once I get to a 100 cruises I'll consider myself to have taken enough cruises to have a large enough sample size to consider my experiences to be the basis of a conclusion.  Until then my random denials suggest to me you too may be subject to a random denial as well despite your item appearing to be acceptable.    

Reading the description I don't see where it claims to be "certified".  It does say that it adheres to the terms and conditions of cruise lines.  However that is not a "certification" that you can argue or point to at the moment in time when security is objecting to it.

We’ve been to the bad room before and now only cruise with this since most of our electronics are USB chargeable.  Never had it questioned. 

Quick Charge 3.0 AUKEY 60W USB Charger with 6-Port USB Charging Station for Samsung Galaxy... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F20J4PE/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_BBvCCb...

1 hour ago, Matt said:

In short, you are not allowed to bring a surge protector.  USB hubs are generally fine, but I'd be worried about the fact the one the OP has is listed as a surge protector.

As @twangster mentioned, so much of the decision is purely based on which security screener you happen to get.

Are extension cords, that are not surge suppressors, allowed?  How many plugs or USB ports are in the rooms?  We have 3 in our room and we each have a tablet and phone.  I usually carry a usb hub but it falls out of a lot of wall plugs so I put it on an extension cord instead.

6 hours ago, Jess said:

I purchased a travel adapter that said in the description it is also a surge protector and the security staff at port canaveral had allowed me to take the travel adapter on the cruise ship. 

This is the exact travel adapter that I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/EPICKA-Universal-Travel-Adapter-Power/dp/B078S3M2NX?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAINYWQL7SPW7D7JCA&tag=aboutcom02tripsavvy-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B078S3M2NX&ascsubtag=4136335|google.com|||74|2|

I brought this one on my last cruise, too, and I didn't realize it had surge protection (or I wouldn't have brought it).  Now that I know, I will be finding an alternative USB hub only.  Regardless of whether they'll catch it or not, I don't want anything that causes any risk.  Glad I read the post!

I travel with a USB power hub as well. Taking a page from @twangster I also pack a European power cord for both my USB power hub and laptop. The good part about a European cord is it frees up the American style outlets for any "brick" type devices. Just make sure the device is compatible 200-240 volt power if using an European outlet.

Will say I didn't have any luck with one of those orange + style multi taps in Cape Liberty

8 hours ago, Jess said:

This looks like a great multi-country travel adapter but it is NOT safe on a cruise ship.  This looks like a normal adapter and most port staff will probably let it through but please don't use it on a ship.  Surge protectors can catch fire even under normal power conditions (no surge required).

3 hours ago, LindaN said:

Are extension cords, that are not surge suppressors, allowed?  How many plugs or USB ports are in the rooms?  We have 3 in our room and we each have a tablet and phone.  I usually carry a usb hub but it falls out of a lot of wall plugs so I put it on an extension cord instead.

The Royal website lists extension cords as being prohibited.  

Newer ships have an outlet by the bed but most RCI ships have 2 - 110V outlets (North American style) and 1 - European 220v power port at the desk.  Some ships have 2 North American and 2 European outlets.

11 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

This looks like a great multi-country travel adapter but it is NOT safe on a cruise ship.  This looks like a normal adapter and most port staff will probably let it through but please don't use it on a ship.  Surge protectors can catch fire even under normal power conditions (no surge required).

I have used this adapter on a cruise ship and had plugged in the European outlet all week. I had 4 USB cables and 1 lab top charger plugged into the travel adapter every minute of everyday for an entire week and it did not catch fire. 

1 hour ago, Jess said:

I have used this adapter on a cruise ship and had plugged in the European outlet all week. I had 4 USB cables and 1 lab top charger plugged into the travel adapter every minute of everyday for an entire week and it did not catch fire. 

Just because it didn't catch fire doesn't mean it's ok to use.

1 hour ago, alamode123 said:

Just because it didn't catch fire doesn't mean it's ok to use.

I read in the description of that specific travel adapter that it was a travel adapter with surge protector components so before I purchased it I called RC to inquire if I could bring and use that kind of travel adapter onboard and they said that kind of travel adapter would be allowed to use in the room while onboard. 

Customer service phone reps are notoriously unreliable sources of information like this.  The statements a surge protector "can catch fire" and "will catch fire" are not the same thing.  But IF it does catch fire and they trace that fire to a surge protector in your stateroom, do you think that call to a customer service rep will protect you from a lawsuit?  This is not a debate.  Your device is NOT safe on a cruise ship.  Period.

11 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Customer service phone reps are notoriously unreliable sources of information like this.  The statements a surge protector "can catch fire" and "will catch fire" are not the same thing.  But IF it does catch fire and they trace that fire to a surge protector in your stateroom, do you think that call to a customer service rep will protect you from a lawsuit?  This is not a debate.  Your device is NOT safe on a cruise ship.  Period.

I have read the description on a lot of travel adapters and this one said it had surge protector components and I have considered purchasing a travel adapter that is cruise ship safe but I could not find a travel adapter that was cruise ship safe and could plug in 1 wide laptop charger and 2 USB wall chargers and 2 USB charging cables.  

I had purchased this one: https://www.amazon.com/EPICKA-Universal-Travel-Adapter-Power/dp/B078S3M2NX?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAINYWQL7SPW7D7JCA&tag=aboutcom02tripsavvy-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B078S3M2NX&ascsubtag=4136335|google.com|||74|2|, because at the time when I purchased that travel adapter it was in my price range. 

I see we have four problems here:

1) The failure of many people, even seasoned cruisers, to understand the concept "different ships have different rules".

2) The failure of many, many, many people thinking that because there is an empty outlet it is absolutely OK to plug something into it; completely disregarding everything else that is consuming electricity on that circuit. And, the thought by creating more more receptacles, the more stuff can be plugged in at the same time. 

3) The failure of the cruise industry to provide enough electricity to lower class cabins despite an increased need to charge phones, cameras, laptops, portable speakers, Fitbits and iWatches, vaping materials, etc etc. The big cabins have many, many outlets to choose from.

4) Do as I say, not as I do. It's surprising how many surge protectors and artificial outlets Royal uses at various venues. Places that with known electrical requirements when they built the ship. It's baffling, really.

Our friend Monorailmedic made a great post a couple years back why surge protectors are a bad idea onboard. I agree with everything he said and from a engineering perspective he is very correct. To me the issue is even simpler than the science of ground fault on DC circuits. Look at the things that are strictly prohibited: irons, hair dryers, extension cords, hover boards; all things that consume a lot of electricity. There is a reason why Sparky the vacuum cleaner is plugged in the hallway by stateroom attendants--he's thirsty.

Major part of the no "Surge Protection Device" policy stems around this Coast Guard safety alert: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CSNCOE/Safety Alerts/USCG Marine Safety Alert 03-13 Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels.pdf?ver=2017-08-08-082206-293

In a nutshell it has to do with the way a ship's electrical system works.

Next I have to agree with limited amperage/current availability in the cabins. Many times the circuits are shared with another cabin. Keep in mind if an over current situation would occur a breaker should trip. At the same time most of what people are needing to plug in are low current devices. Single USB style chargers are barely going to use half an amp. The hair dryer provided in the room I'm sure is 10 times that.

Just now, cobra614 said:

Another question on this topic: where should we pack a product that we want to take onboard,  in our carry on  or checked luggage? In my case it is the one I took a screenshot of above. No surge protection, no extension cord.

I packed mine in my checked luggage which I handed to the porters and the travel adapter was not confiscated and I did not have to go to the naughty room to retrieve the adapter. 

One final note:

The same thing happens to me time and time again when I disembark. I walk past those tables of shame;  those couple of folding tables just before the final swipe of my sea pass. Tables full of irons, hair dryers, 100' orange extension cords, heating pads, and always but always an object that surprises me. All rubber banded and thinly disguised by a sheet of white copy paper. 

I'll shake my head with a disappointed smile and say "Jesus Christ...."

As I walk down the gangway I'll think "Gee, can you believe all that? Dude, C'mon."

Then I'll say  "WAIT!  I've seen that disappointed smile and headshake many times before, I am really turning into my Grandfather!"

10 hours ago, cobra614 said:

Another question on this topic: where should we pack a product that we want to take onboard,  in our carry on  or checked luggage? In my case it is the one I took a screenshot of above. No surge protection, no extension cord.

In my experience, common items such as a European style cell phone charger that can be scrutinized in your carry on will pass through in checked luggage unscathed.  

I carry a European cell phone charger left over from a trip to Europe.  By using the European power port on a ship the two remaining North American outlets in a cabin can be used for other purposes.  However because it is uncommon to see a European style charger in the US, terminal security sometimes consider it a banned item. Different or odd looking equals bad.  

Terminal security are not ship or cruise line employees, they are local guns hired as 3rd party contractors.  If my checked bag gets flagged for having a European cell phone charger I stand a much better chance in the naughty room on the ship with ship security staff who have (unlike terminal security) traveled the world.  They don't fear things just because it's different, they see it as cell phone charger, nothing more.