Formal Nights in Symphony -show me picts

LindaN

I usually wear a collared shirt and nice pants or jeans.  Jacket about 75% of the time (full disclosure, I enjoy wearing a blazer/suit because I rarely wear them).

Wife goes for cocktail dresses and dresses in general.  

My wife will sometimes dress the kids to match or in a nice dress for photos.

We had a big family even for my son last year (religious event with luncheon following) and so they got formal outfits.  No way our son will wear his suit again (itchy, not comfy, yada yada yada), but my daughter takes every chance she can get to wear her formal dress.  So that is what she'll be wearing.  My son and DH just wear slacks with a collared or non-picture shirt, and I wear a nice sun dress (for me that is dressing up as I rarely wear dresses ...unless i change my mind and end up bringing a formal one too just for the opportunity to wear it again).

2 hours ago, pcdawg said:

Theres no more formal nights.

Its pretty much categorized as dress your best.  Its more casual than several years ago where they were more strict.

Ive seen people walk into the 'formal nights' with tshirts and shorts and they still sat down and ate.

I'm going on adventure of the seas in 2 weeks. I thought the main dining room didn't even allow shorts. Much less on formal night? 

57 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

I'm going on adventure of the seas in 2 weeks. I thought the main dining room didn't even allow shorts. Much less on formal night? 

Shorter cruises are less dressy.  The "wear your best" approach is found on Mariner since it only does 3 and 4 night cruises.  However in general much of the fleet is sliding that way.  

Formal attire is a recommendation, not a requirement.  Royal isn't in the business of alienating any paying guest who paid the same as the next person.  Some people go all out and get dressed up.  Some don't. 

Personally I have found what other people wear has no bearing on the taste of my food.  Heck I don't even notice.  Ask me what the guy at the next table is wearing and I'll stare at you like a deer in headlights.  I've never gone so far as to wear shorts in the MDR but it happens.

24 minutes ago, twangster said:

Shorter cruises are less dressy.  The "wear your best" approach is found on Mariner since it only does 3 and 4 night cruises.  However in general much of the fleet is sliding that way.  

Formal attire is a recommendation, not a requirement.  Royal isn't in the business of alienating any paying guest who paid the same as the next person.  Some people go all out and get dressed up.  Some don't. 

Personally I have found what other people wear has no bearing on the taste of my food.  Heck I don't even notice.  Ask me what the guy at the next table is wearing and I'll stare at you like a deer in headlights.  I've never gone so far as to wear shorts in the MDR but it happens.

What do women wear in the MDR in general? 

Just now, hoofbeats95 said:

What do women wear in the MDR in general? 

Anything other than swim wear is appropriate.  Seriously.  It is way less dressy these days.

Personally, I will wear many maxi dresses.  So still dressy but casual enough that it is comfortable and I can get away with flip flops.  I see many women in blouses and pants to dresses.  Formal gowns are rare.  Anything goes really as long as you are not in a bathing suit.

For me I like wearing a formal dress, but not trying to reenact my senior prom (good gods that was the 80s, and noone wants to see me try to squeeze into a prom dress)   I have a "nice" black full length dress with some lace and beads on it.  Its not a ball gown, (tulle makes me itchy) but its nice.  I'm dressing hub in a black suit with black tie.  Not a tuxedo but something nice.  I certainly wont fault anyone for not going as formal as I do, but I do feel a little.... judgemental, when I see someone in a ball cap and a muscle shirt and ripped shorts and mandals (sure lets put our fashion challenged in some black knee socks too) strolling into the MDR on formal night.  It doesnt "ruin my cruise" or anything like that but yah I'm secretly judging that person.  Any other night other than formal night, I'm not judging anyone.  But on formal night.... yah I get a little judgey for the extreme cases.  It doesnt take much to get me out of judgemental zone on formal night.  A clean (non logo tee) shirt and some long pants on the guys (or bermuda shorts... or kilt...)  and honestly the same for the ladies and I'm 100% fine with what you have on.  But if you look like you crawled out of the weight room or out from under a moving car... yah I'm judging you on formal night.  I might not say anything, but I'm judging you.  

1 hour ago, ThyriC said:

For me I like wearing a formal dress, but not trying to reenact my senior prom (good gods that was the 80s, and noone wants to see me try to squeeze into a prom dress)   I have a "nice" black full length dress with some lace and beads on it.  Its not a ball gown, (tulle makes me itchy) but its nice.  I'm dressing hub in a black suit with black tie.  Not a tuxedo but something nice.  I certainly wont fault anyone for not going as formal as I do, but I do feel a little.... judgemental, when I see someone in a ball cap and a muscle shirt and ripped shorts and mandals (sure lets put our fashion challenged in some black knee socks too) strolling into the MDR on formal night.  It doesnt "ruin my cruise" or anything like that but yah I'm secretly judging that person.  Any other night other than formal night, I'm not judging anyone.  But on formal night.... yah I get a little judgey for the extreme cases.  It doesnt take much to get me out of judgemental zone on formal night.  A clean (non logo tee) shirt and some long pants on the guys (or bermuda shorts... or kilt...)  and honestly the same for the ladies and I'm 100% fine with what you have on.  But if you look like you crawled out of the weight room or out from under a moving car... yah I'm judging you on formal night.  I might not say anything, but I'm judging you.  

I think there should be more kilt wearin'  ... just saying.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I was actually surprised how dressy many people were in the MDR most nights, and especially "dress your best" night on Mariner 2ish weeks ago. There was much sparkling going on - it was fun to see! But there were many who weren't so dressed up as well. As long as everyone was happy it's all good. And how can one not be happy when there's such good food?!

I like to dress up on formal nights, wear my Tux and my wife in her nice dresses, but all of our cruises so far have been in the Med where we normally sail from Southampton and can bring as much luggage as we like. This time however we are flying to Orlando and taking a cruise from Port Canavaral so luggage space is at a premium. Add to that we have a week in Orlando before the cruise doing the parks etc so we have even less space free. Will chinos, shirt and jacket be ok on a formal night?

3 hours ago, Mondas42 said:

Will chinos, shirt and jacket be ok on a formal night?

Nowadays that’ll be totally fine. I wore that (minus the jacket) every night of my 5-night Bermuda cruise last October and didn’t feel at all out of place, even in CK and on formal night.

Longer cruises with a couple of formal nights, I’ll pack my suit because I rarely get to wear one anymore and I own a really nice one. But those shorter cruises where I want to pack everything in an airplane carry-on, I totally get choosing to leave it at home.

Anyone (ladies) bring more than one formal night dress when you have two or more on the trip?  We've got two formal nights on our 7 night cruise and my daughter and I are bringing two dresses each so our pics look different. The guys will be dressed the same at each except for different ties.  Just wonder if this makes me a freak or not.  Lol

Just now, Brobbins246 said:

Anyone (ladies) bring more than one formal night dress when you have two or more on the trip?  We've got two formal nights on our 7 night cruise and my daughter and I are bringing two dresses each so our pics look different. The guys will be dressed the same at each except for different ties.  Just wonder if this makes me a freak or not.  Lol

I bring 2 dresses.  

Just now, hoofbeats95 said:

I'm only bringing one, but I don't know if I have one or two formal nights.  How does one find that out?  

I'm on Adventure of the Seas 6 night March 10th. 

Try finding a matching or similar past Cruise Compass posted on the blog site.  It'll show the dress code for each evening.

12 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

I'm only bringing one, but I don't know if I have one or two formal nights.  How does one find that out?  

Standard 7 night or longer cruises typically have 2 formal nights.  Shorter cruises have one.  Not sure about a 6 night sailing?

1 hour ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Indy had one formal night recently on a 6 night sailing.  Not sure about Adventure but I'd be surprised if it had two.  

Night one is never formal, rarely is the last night on board.  That leaves 4 nights and I don't suspect Adventure to deviate much from other ships that do 6 night sailings.  

3 hours ago, Brobbins246 said:

I do. They are cocktail dresses though, not full ballgowns. DH wears the same suit with different shirts and ties to go with my dresses for pictures. 

Just now, Brobbins246 said:

Similar here.  One of mine is full length but not too formal.  The other is a shorter cocktail dress.  Not sure which one to wear first. 

I bring a couple nicer dresses but I mostly live in sun dresses and last year I just wore one of those on one formal night.  Im a classic over packer if I have the room to be flexible.  On my trips, I tend to be more formal on the first formal night just because I have a bit more energy to dress up.  I didn't notice one formal night vs the other being more dressy in my cruises, just FYI.  I think you can wear whichever you want first... Formal nights tend to be all over the place on what people wear.  Jane