Roatan.... dangerous..?

mook1525

hello!

I will be on Harmony OTS this September visiting CM, Cozumel and Roatan.. I have a good idea of what to do in Cozumel and Costa Maya but not much information is available about Roatan..

I saw someone on this blog mentioned that Roatan is.....somewhat dangerous.  (!?)  is it true?

I am thinking about spending a day at Mayan Princess Resort with all-inclusive day pass..  has anyone visited this place before? if so, was it a short taxi ride to get to?

i'd appreciate if anyone can share some information/experience regarding Roatan.. 

what I want to do is to visit beautiful beach..

thanks a lot!!

I don't think it is dangerous, I mean you have to be cautious like you do anywhere, but over all a good experience. You can tell there is poverty but everyone seemed really friendly.

I used Victor Bodden Tours, they have a web site, just Google it. I was very impressed with this company and their tours. We did an all island private tour, they will customize it to your liking on the private tours.

We went to Roatan a few years ago and did not feel as if we were in danger.  I am not security or a police officer however I do "rub elbows" with police officers on a daily basis and have several friends as well.  When on vacation I do not let my guard down, and am cognizant of where I am at and what is going on around me.  That being said I did not feel any more or less in danger than I have felt at other ports.  I would gladly return, and hope to go back sometime in the near future!  We did not book our excursion through someone there but booked through RCCL.  We did the SNUBA and actually had a great time, it is one that I would GLADLY do again! 

Typically with any port if you stay in the port/tourist area or go on an excursion either with the cruise line or a private guide you should not have an issue.  We booked the sloth island tour which includes a beach stop and it was very inexpensive.  We booked direct with Daniel Johnston and he is highly recommended on several cruise sites. 

We just came back from a cruise with Symphony of the Seas and also visited Roatan. As mentioned we also book a private tour with a guide from Victor Bodden. And there was absolutely nothing to worry about. The guide was very nice and you are able to decide what you want to visit. We e.g. made a boat tour through the mangroves and it was amazing.

Just visited there  a couple weeks ago myself on a cruise....We did Private Island Maya Key.  That was a nice, relaxing day away from crowds.  And personally I enjoyed the animal preserve on the island with monkeys, sloths, etc.  We walked around and felt like we were all by ourselves....And felt completely safe there.

I also enjoyed the Roatan port.  I liked how close it was from the ship and quite a few little shops and things.

We didn't venture to the rest of the island.  We considered doing a Victor Bodden tour but didn't end up doing it.  It did appear to be a pretty poor country with a lot of hills, dirt roads, etc.  But it was tough to really tell much from the Port.