Drinks package

Goody2shoes

12 minutes ago, Goody2shoes said:

Drinks package  can you have different packages for people in same cabin.

i.e. Husband delux package.  Myself non alcoholic package [medication prevents. Full documents available ].  14 yr old the soda package 

Yes.  But you have to call.  The cruise planner online will not allow that option.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is very limited to the amount she can drink due to her medication , I explained to the phone agent that her medication  limits her alcohol intake to maybe one drink per day. I advised I would rather buy a deluxe alcohol package for me, and non alcohol refreshment package for my wife. I said if my wife felt she could tolerate a drink or two she would pay cash. The phone agent advised that for medical reasons this would be fine. But, I am reading that if you receive an exemption than you cannot purchase alcohol st all. Has anyone found this to be the case?

Im concerned there was a disconnect between the agent and I. 

1 hour ago, Johnny west said:

Understand that phone agents are not the source or truth or wisdom on any matter.  

1 hour ago, Johnny west said:

But, I am reading that if you receive an exemption than you cannot purchase alcohol st all

Can you post what you are reading?  What is the source of this information?

Thanks.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:33 PM, Matt said:

For the adults, you will need to call to get that taken care. Your son can be booked online.

I assume you call before booking and paying on the Cruise Planner and they'll make it magically appear there?
How do you pay for it then, since you don't go through the Planner's checkout process?

The agent on the phone would take the order for you, and send you an email confirmation of the order.  I had an issue purchasing a certain item, it just wouldnt checkout for some reason.  So I called, they placed the order, I received the confirmation email

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Understand that phone agents are not the source or truth or wisdom on any matter.  

Can you post what you are reading?  What is the source of this information?

Thanks.

Thanks for responding! Yes, I feel I like she heard “medical” and didn’t catch the nuance. I didn’t read anything official, rather it was on a message board. Some had said the exception persons sea pass  would not allow them to purchase alcohol. I’m trying to confirm if anyone can comfirm if it’s actually the case.

3 minutes ago, Johnny west said:

Thanks for responding! Yes, I feel I like she heard “medical” and didn’t catch the nuance. I didn’t read anything official, rather it was on a message board. Some had said the exception persons sea pass  would not allow them to purchase alcohol. I’m trying to confirm if anyone can comfirm if it’s actually the case.

I don't have first hand experience with this, but that just seems like a lot of work just for royal to say no to your money. I would be shocked if this was the case. Royal isn't in the business of saying no to extra profit. 

1 minute ago, spiralqueen said:

I don't have first hand experience with this, but that just seems like a lot of work just for royal to say no to your money. I would be shocked if this was the case. Royal isn't in the business of saying no to extra profit. 

Excellent point. I tend to agree with you. 

On 3/6/2019 at 10:35 PM, Johnny west said:

My wife is very limited to the amount she can drink due to her medication , I explained to the phone agent that her medication  limits her alcohol intake to maybe one drink per day. I advised I would rather buy a deluxe alcohol package for me, and non alcohol refreshment package for my wife. I said if my wife felt she could tolerate a drink or two she would pay cash. The phone agent advised that for medical reasons this would be fine. But, I am reading that if you receive an exemption than you cannot purchase alcohol st all. Has anyone found this to be the case? 

I am in the identical situation and I have NEVER had a problem buying my wife a wine or something else alcoholic using her seapass card or charging the $$ to mine and paying at cruise end. Even with an exemption, she can purchase as much alcohol as she wants ( or can handle!! Lol!)

I just called for our next cruise (wife just doesn't like alcohol) and I could hear the hesitation in the agent's voice.  I hate to lie, but I just told them it was for religious reasons... That seemed to satisfy her.  I do get why this is a problem (drink package sharers ruined it for us), but the price for two deluxe packages is just toooo dang high if the other person isn't going to drink.  Although, for what I do drink on board, maybe I SHOULD be paying double ? 

22 minutes ago, firebuck said:

I just called for our next cruise (wife just doesn't like alcohol) and I could hear the hesitation in the agent's voice.  I hate to lie, but I just told them it was for religious reasons... That seemed to satisfy her.  I do get why this is a problem (drink package sharers ruined it for us), but the price for two deluxe packages is just toooo dang high if the other person isn't going to drink.  Although, for what I do drink on board, maybe I SHOULD be paying double ? 

Thanks for the feedback! I want to follow the rules and don’t plan to share my drinks, but if she drinks 4 drinks on a 7 day cruise, I can’t see paying $359 for that. I’m happy to purchase hers with cash. I also totally see why they made the rules as well. 

52 minutes ago, firebuck said:

I just called for our next cruise (wife just doesn't like alcohol) and I could hear the hesitation in the agent's voice.  I hate to lie, but I just told them it was for religious reasons... That seemed to satisfy her.  I do get why this is a problem (drink package sharers ruined it for us), but the price for two deluxe packages is just toooo dang high if the other person isn't going to drink.  Although, for what I do drink on board, maybe I SHOULD be paying double ? 

I don’t think it was sharing drinks as much as a way to squeeze more money out of us. I think Royal has proven over all the changes over last few years that they are going to maximize their profits at all cost and this is just another way of getting a few extra bucks out many of us. 

48 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I don’t think it was sharing drinks as much as a way to squeeze more money out of us. I think Royal has proven over all the changes over last few years that they are going to maximize their profits at all cost and this is just another way of getting a few extra bucks out many of us. 

I look at it like going to the movies and paying $10 for a coke and a candy bar. Or like $1,000 to take the family to a pro football game. It's outrageous because we make it outrageous. :14_relaxed:

On topic but flowing in a different direction here... Going on Oasis in 25 days. Perusing the boards here and a few questions come to mind... of the highest import. Does the Deluxe drink package include milkshakes at Johnny Rockets or any ice cream location? This question popped in my head while reading the "Lose weight" discussion thread. Go figure...

There is also a fairly extensive thread going at the moment regarding milkshakes at JR.

It appears to be entirely at the ship’s discretion as to whether or not they permit persons with either the Deluxe Beverage Package or the refreshment package to get a milkshake at JR without paying the cover charge.  Many on the bigger ships report that they CAN get the milkshake and others (like me) have been told “no” on ships like NAV.

There is no definite answer at the moment.

On 3/10/2019 at 2:59 PM, eaglesfaninfl said:

I am in the identical situation and I have NEVER had a problem buying my wife a wine or something else alcoholic using her seapass card or charging the $$ to mine and paying at cruise end. Even with an exemption, she can purchase as much alcohol as she wants ( or can handle!! Lol!)

Yep, can confirm the same. Same story, wife drinks very rarely for medical reasons, so I called and ordered a drink package just for me (refreshment for her) and had no trouble. She bought a drink on CocoCay and maybe one on board, and had no issues.