Oceanview or Balcony?

RCL4Life

For some it's worth any difference in price especially if they don't cruise that often; for others, they'd rather pay less and cruise more often. I find myself in the later category. For example, we were booked in a balcony for the Norwegian Fjords, but when the price for the ocean views and insides dropped, we downgraded as the difference in price paid for our next cruise. That said, I can justify a balcony for scenic itineraries and for those who use their balcony a lot.

For my family, the cutoff is about $100 per person or $300 for a 7 night cruise. More than that and we save the money for other things.

I have only had 1 oceanview room and that was a family oceanview right in the front of the ship immediately under the bridge on the Jewel. That was an AMAZING room - especially with just 2 people. Since it was a transatlantic crossing there really wasn't that much to see so an oceanview or even an inside cabin would be a great opportunity to save money on the cabin class. Since TA's are so long RCI does not reserve those family rooms for +2 people b/c they normally cannot get families on those long cruises (due to school) so we were able to book this family room right off the bat. What a great experience and savings !

I used to insist on a balcony room b/c I was a smoker back then and you could still smoke on your balcony but even since I have quit smoking AND the balconies are no longer smoking areas, I have just stayed with the balcony.

I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed my virtual balcony inside room. It was an accessible room that I was able to snag at the last minute (they release those rooms to non-accessibles right at the last minute if they are not booked by an accessible needs person) and the extra room was awesome. I loved the virtual balcony.

So, as the others have said, it you looking to save money and you don't really need the balcony, go for it !

This is such a personal preference type of thing.  We cruise every 1-1/2 to 2 years on average and always go with the balcony.  We just really enjoy being able to go out there.  We probably are on the balcony at least and hour or two a day.  We watch us come into and out of port plus just watch the ocean go by on sea days.  Very relaxing.  :)

C & A discounts also can make the difference more palatable. 

My wife and I agree that if you do not cruise frequently, and the itinerary is scenic and/or a nice weather destination, a balcony is well worth the cost.  We enjoy early morning coffee, mid-day mini-breaks in the cabin to recharge, and late night coffee, etc. out on the balcony.  We too enjoy waking up early to watch the ship approach the next port, etc.  You can do all of this out on the upper decks, but a balcony is naturally more private.

If we start to cruise more frequently and to the same destinations, then I would definitely consider a cabin without a balcony!

You will have an amazing time either way!

Great point about repeat itineraries. Once you have sailed into and out of a port a number of times it's not really all that exciting anymore.

Also great point about the privacy. Nothing like getting up while still in your jammers and sitting out on the balcony. That's a little less socially acceptable when you do it up on deck.

:)

Great point about repeat itineraries. Once you have sailed into and out of a port a number of times it's not really all that exciting anymore.

Also great point about the privacy. Nothing like getting up while still in your jammers and sitting out on the balcony. That's a little less socially acceptable when you do it up on deck.

:)

So I shouldn't walk into the windjammer in my robe and slippers to grab a cup of coffee before having a seat on the upper deck?

Being from Ohio & having to fly to any embarkation port, the cost of a balcony is not much as a % of the total cost of the vacation. As has been mentioned it is a completely personal decision. We love sea days and just watching the ocean from the peace of our balcony. Coffee in the morning, naps in the afternoon. We have dear friends who will spend several hundred each in spa treatments and think we are rediculous for paying for a balcony. I will admit that my justification theory can baloon, however. We have now settled on Junior suites as our cabin of choice because of course,  "as a % of the total cost of our vacation it is not that much more" ;)

We started out cruising with oceanview rooms then moved to balcony rooms in our first RC cruise in 2000 and haven't looked back since.  Our philosophy is you only have one go around in life so enjoy it to the fullest.  After about 5 cruises we jumped to a Jr suite on a 12day Med cruise and have stayed with the Jr. suite until May of this year and tried a GS on the cruise out of Puerto Rico.  If you have the money spend it on the balcony and enjoy yourself. When you get up in the mornings order room service coffee and stand out on the balcony.  We enjoy looking at the flying fish,  other ships and the nice views arriving into ports.  I have a nice pair of binoculars I use at football games and they come in handy on the balcony.  Your on vacation.....enjoy yourselves!

Never done a balcony yet(waiting till I can get a good C&A discount on them) but did a oceanview once.

For me, I can cruise 3-4 times a year doing an inside, whereas a balcony would prob cut that down to 1, maybe 2 a year. So at this point its the cheapest so that I can cruise as many times as possible for now.