Electric cars at Cape Liberty Cruise Port parking

Cez

I've looked too.  Nothing anywhere near the port that you could leave your car.  And the Superchargers aren't in the most ideal areas either in relation to my route.  Luckily I'm 76 miles away from the port so I could make it there and back even with the battery drain from the car sitting in a garage for 5 days without any issue.  Still gives me anxiety though! ? 

I'm sure SOMEWHERE in that garage is a 110V plug.  But nothing showing up on Plugshare as of yet. And chances that someone else is already in that spot. 

On 2/22/2019 at 9:38 AM, Cez said:

Thanks @Fuzzywuzzy I'll add you to the list of my car's volunteer babysitters ?

Sure, but they're probably family members and by now you know that they can't be trusted. It's strangers on the internet that you can count on to come to the rescue when the need arises.?

• 9 months later...

Kudos to you all driving your EV’s long distances to reach port. I will happily take my gas-guzzling SUV and leave our other vehicle snug and warm in our garage at home. ?

But if I did choose to go that route, I’d probably find the closest supercharger and top off the battery prior to the cruise and head there immediately after, before heading home. Seems to me, keeping your car plugged in for several days at a public location is not only risky (Sentry mode will only record who did what to your car, it won’t stop them from doing it) but not much different than the behavior of the chair hogs so many people complain about...

On 12/6/2019 at 10:23 PM, Rose City Cruiser said:

@Cez  Any luck in finding cruise port parking with dedicated EV plugs near Cape Liberty?  Looking into possibly doing a road trip and then hop onto Oasis.

I`ve carefully inspected multilevel garage and asked two different stuff member and the final answer is NO.  If you are driving Tesla, nearest supercharger in Kearny NY is ~ 10 miles /30 minutes away. Not very busy, plenty of stalls. Avoid Paramus - terrible. After 7 days of parking (mid November) my TM3 (with disabled sentry) lost 5% of charge, so that's great, however I wouldn't risk leaving unplugged EV during Jan/Feb. Unexpected cold snap (below -22 F) could damage your battery if unplugged for over 24h. Parking at Newark Airport with EV chargers is very expensive ($34/day + uber) and I was unable to find heated parking nearby. 

I would like to encourage everyone to fill-up post cruise survey and mention/suggest/ask installing 20-30 110 V outlets and reserve those for EVs. That should be relatively inexpensive, solve our problem for good and give RCI/Cruise Port green vibe ?

17 minutes ago, Cez said:

After 7 days of parking (mid November) my TM3 (with disabled sentry) lost 5% of charge, so that's great, however I wouldn't risk leaving unplugged EV during Jan/Feb. Unexpected cold snap (below -22 F) could damage your battery if unplugged for over 24h.

Thanks for the info!  I will make sure to turn off Sentry Mode.  Can't believe it sucks up 1% an hour..... We are planning to go in May.  So below zero temps are unlikely. 

• 3 years later...

Still no EV charging at the port as of June. 

This is probably your best bet for a supercharger to use close to the port. It was right next to the EA station and had a ton of stalls open when I was there. 

Elizabeth Supercharger | Elizabeth, NJ | EV Station (plugshare.com)

If anyone with a CCS car stumbles on this threat, I used the station below to top off to 80% before I parked. Got the full 200KW my car can charge at from the station and was in and out in 20 minutes. 

https://www.plugshare.com/location/252786